Need ice pack suggestions, 6 days post op, pkr

Posted , 17 users are following.

Here I am, I made it to the other side! Surgery went well for a partial medial knee replacement last Wednesday...I stayed in the hospital 2 nights and returned home Friday night  Luckily I found this site otherwise I may have panicked because of the swelling and pain, but now know that it's fairly "normal". My big "question of the day" is what icing situation do you use? I've tried "Moji" but only have one; ice in 2 gallon ziplocks but it still leaked. I understand that icing is very important, I just need advice on what works!  Thanks cry

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I was provided with an excellent ice pack from the hospital. Contact your GP and they will be able to prescribe you one or the district nurses will deliver one.

Hope that helps

Jackie x

• Posted

B

I had both my knees done same time, I found that two big bass of frozen peas worked perfect. They last a long time just remember to put them back after the 30 minutes so the don't get mushy. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Tana, Thanks for the suggestion of using frozen peas! Also, how in the world were you able to have both knees done at the same time? I "only" had a partial and am struggling so much on day 8. I just found out I was only supposed to be taking 5-10 mg of Oxycodone, but have been taking 15 mg on most doses. Last night I tried 10 mg and I was crying in pain.  I'd say an "8" on that darn pain scale.  I do 3 sets of exercises from my pt every day, rest, ice, elevate above heart, walk every hour...and I still feel as though someone hit my knee with a sledgehammer! Any tips or tricks to get through...?

• Posted

You poor thing. I know the crying from pain. I spent weeks doing that. I did ask for oxycodone instead of hydrocodone cause I think you build up a quick tolerance. I called the doctor after hours and was crying in pain. That's when he prescribed the oxycodone to help me settle down. It worked and got me through the worst of it. Just rest and ice. I even had to cut back showering to every other day. I found standing in the shower made it worse. Wasn't worth it. I would sit on the bed crying after a shower before I could even get dressed. Then hurry up with that so I could get back to the couch and ice it. I hope you feel better. Try to get something stronger for the pain. Hugs

• Posted

Hey B I want to give you hope that the pain will go away. I had 2 total knees done/ June & Sept 2014 / not sure what a partial knee involves, sounds like it would be easier , obviously not ! My knees were both really bad bone on bone. The first two weeks after surgery are definitely the worst. Control it as best you can with pain pills, oxycodone is better. As soon as you can a good program of physical therapy is a necessity, and waking daily makes you feel better. You need the pain to go away and then you can begin to appreciate a new knee. Both knees are good now at almost 2 years. I think by a year you really feel like your back. But then my knees were really bad. Your recovery should be quicker, it takes work but you'll get there.Dave

• Posted

Bschniz, I'm not sure what country you are in, that might make a difference about what you find available When I was in India (where I had both knees replaced at the same time) I wasn't finding much of anything. But when I returned to the US (and was occassionally icing after 9 months) I found CryoMax packs (either on Amazon or Walmart). They stay cold for hours and have a velcro strap that helped keep them in place. I bought the medium size. The suggestion for frozen peas is always good too.

-Mo

• Posted

Hi Mo, I'm in the US and will look on Amazon for the CyroMax packs you mentioned. If you read my response to tana4life, above, the same goes to you..how did you make it through having both knee surgeries done at one time? I considered having 2 partials done at the same time and every day am extremely grateful that I am able to stand on one leg without feeling excruciating pain! After these past 8 days there is one thing I know for sure: I will do everything in my power to avoid surgery on my right knee!! Need incentive to eat healthy? ?? Need motivation to continue an exercise routine??? Be inspired to do my PT exercises, even when it hurts? ?? I used to think I was pretty tough, but have felt like a wimp these past 8 days!

• Posted

I bought a couple of the large gel Pac. They are pliable and can be molded around the knee/leg and refreeze quickly. You giVe to remember to put a cloth (towel or pillow case) over them as you must not let the. Vinyl come in direct contact with the skin as it will cause frost bite. Use often, 20 minutes on 20 mins off. Available at Amazon or local retailers. A little pricy but we'll worth the money. Much better than fiddling with ice bags

• Posted

I'd really be careful abut what you buy.  My wife bought a couple of packs that not only had straps but also were shaped like a series of pillows that were glued together. Placing the packs either beneath my knee or my hip (I have bursitis of the hip) is extremely painfu. Even the wrong fold in a towel is painful when beneath your body, so watch out for lumps or large creases in the pack.

• Posted

Hi. Noticed you'd mentioned having a bursitis? How long have you had this and have you had any long lasting relief from the pain? I developed one in opposite hip to my hip replacement 8 years ago. Thanks

• Posted

Best anti-inflammatory for bursitis (and the TKR) is Voltaren Gel.  RX in the US.
    • Posted

It arose when I started stretching and exercising my post-op knee. It becomes really inflamed when I'm doing leg lifts.

I've just been using an extra ice bag. Never heard of Voltaren Gel, which Chico Jerod mentioning--yet another of many things my care providers failed to mention. Because I can't take anyo-inflammatories, it would have been very helpful to know.

• Posted

You can buy a refillable ice pack at the drugstore. It's a sack with a screw on top. It doesn't leak works great. It's with the hot water bottles. I've been using mine 6 weeks. No leaking. It's cloth with a waterproof liner. Good luck with your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.