Need ice pack suggestions, 6 days post op, pkr

Posted , 17 users are following.

Here I am, I made it to the other side! Surgery went well for a partial medial knee replacement last Wednesday...I stayed in the hospital 2 nights and returned home Friday night  Luckily I found this site otherwise I may have panicked because of the swelling and pain, but now know that it's fairly "normal". My big "question of the day" is what icing situation do you use? I've tried "Moji" but only have one; ice in 2 gallon ziplocks but it still leaked. I understand that icing is very important, I just need advice on what works!  Thanks cry

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was given an ice machine at the hospital. I fill it with two 16 ounce frozen bottled water and the rest of it ice cubes. You put water in the machine first. It lasts for twelve hours using the frozen bottled water. One tkr 16 weeks ago and the other tkr 10 weeks ago. I still ice before bed and a couple of times during the day. Good luck! Everyday gets better.
  • Posted

Congrats on making it to the other side!! I was sent home with a polar care cold therapy unit. It circulates water and ice into a pad I attach to my knee. I wonder if you could ask your doctor about it. It works wonders! Good luck with your recovery! smile

• Posted

Large pillow size blue gel that can be both cold therapy, or you can heat them, I presume in a pot of water for heat therapy which may come alot later.  When ever the knee is sending out those pain signals, right after exercise, or when it feels hot is when I ice it.
  • Posted

Here in the United States, an "icing machine" is very popular.  Icing is critical to keeping the swelling and thus the pain to a minimum.  You can use it for hours at a time, unlike an ice pack which should be used for no more than twenty minutes at a time.  Here I tried to add a link to a machine that is the identical one I purchased through a source recommended by my doctor, but the website would not allow me to do so.  Look on the internet for an icing machine for knee made by Osser.

I have slept with the pad wrapped firming around my knee with an Ace bandage.  Elevation and icing are key to healing quickly.  Now, at 10-1/2 weeks post op, I use it only occasionally in the evening for a half hour or so if I have been more active durilng the day than usual.

Good luck and God bless!

• Posted

I SO wish I had heard about the ice machine before now! Just learned my friend had one from her folks, so I'm dying to try it. Am taking blood thinner because of a clot in my leg, so no anti-inflammatories.

• Posted

The machine I got is called "Aircast." It's been a godsend already, even though I've only had it for a short time.  I don't understand why my PT, the hospital's post-op program, or my surgeon didn't recommend it.  Well, I can understand why my surgeon didn't.  Once the surgery is done, his only concern is how the knee loks on an X-ray so that he can brag about his work.  Couldn't care less about anything else.  But that's typical of ortho surgeons.  I used to work at a physicians association, so I knew all kinds of docs, and ortho surgeons were the worst.  

But I digress. If you don't have an ice machine, I'd urge you to get one. No more having to get bags out of the freezer every 20 minutes, and you can keep it on for as long as you want. I kept mine on for most of the night last night, and I felt great in the morning.

• Posted

The real simple, cheap ones are a bucket of ice water and a sleeve that goes around your knee...connected by a tube.  It's the AirCast CryoCuff.  Hold the bucket over your head and the ice water flows into the sleeve; lower it below you knee and the water runs back into the bucket.  Of course there are clamps on the tube so this is not a continuous effect.  Once your knee warms up, drain the sleeve (release the clamp and lower the bucket), swirl, raise the bucket above your head for new cold ice water.  Once the ice is all gone, drain the sleeve, empty the bucket and replace with fresh ice water.  Easy.

Not as sophisticated as the machines with countoured ice packs in the cylinder but still a very effective and inexpensive way to do the same thing on a manual basis.  Used one for four knee scopes plus two shoulder surgeries.  Separate sleeve for knee and shoulder.  Works pretty well.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as users can easily find the information using a search engine rather than linking to a specific website. If users want the specific link use the Private Message service to exchange.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

There is an ice "machine" called "Game Ready" I used for 15 minutes after every session at PT. Works great but expensive. Google it whole collection of icing applications. Maybe could be rented. Two years post op both knees. The knees are good, had RTHR 4 weeks ago. Doing good. Dave

• Posted

I have a freezer full of the reusable gel packs. You need a cover for them or a towel but they work good. Much easier and drier than ice cubes in a bag. Dave
  • Posted

Hi. Glad you're recovering well. I bought a cuff with 2 inserts that you keep in the freezer. When needed you put one of the ice packs inside the cuff and wrap round your knee while the other one stays in the freezer. It has 2 wide straps. I also get swollen ankle as well and I use it on that too. Good luck

• Posted

Yes this is the ice packs l have they are great. I think l got 2 from amazon and they were £10 each. Worth it though as l use them everyday

Laura

• Posted

I went to a medical supplies store. They have loads of ice packs that work well. I bought the one that wraps around the knee and is filled with gel. Worked well for me.
    • Posted

That sounds very much like the CryoMax. It's in a velour type case with the elastic strap and velcro attachment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.