Need my gallbladder out and petrified. would people recommend

Posted , 17 users are following.

I have had a large gallstone for around 5 years now but for the past year the pain has gotten much worse and more frequent. Resulting in me not being able to eat anything without being up all night in really bad excruciating pain. The doctors have recommended removal but I'm so scared. I've never had an operation before of an anesthetic of any kind so to sat I'm scared is an understatement. I've got a 9 month old and don't want to die whilst having surgery but it's also ruining my life right now. 

How do you feel after having yours out please. 

Many thanks

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Sarah. I had pain with gallstones for nearly 2 years thinking it was just back pain until i was hospitalised due to one getting stuck and going jaundice. I then had to wait another 10 months have them and my gallbladder removed. Honestly there was no one more scared than me. I was thinking the exact things as you as it was my first time having an op. I wasn't scared of them getting it out i was more scared of being put to sleep! Honestly tho it was fine and i had worried for nothing. I must admit i had a couple of tears as i went down to threatre but the staff were lovely and reasuring. I dont remember anything after that until i came round. Then i was took back to the ward and given tea and toast after i had come round properly. Was back home in time for coronation street! I know its easier said than done when someone tells you not too worry but honestly you will be fine. Ive had no pain since the op :-)
  • Posted

Hi sarah, many of us on here know exactly how you feel, I have only just registered on here to reply to you as I could so understand your stress. When I was waiting for my surgery date I read and re read peoples comments on here and it helped so much, particularly at 3am when in pain! I am older than you and my daughter is an adult but I still was scared of the what ifs so with a little baby its understandable how you feel. I cried all the way to theatre(silently I have to say not wailing). I am terrified of hospital but I knew I couldn't carry on with all the damaging going on inside me. I am glad I had it done, the staff take very good care of you and are very kind even though (in my hospital anyway) very busy. I had to stay overnight but even for me I was glad to to be looked after but it was wonderful to get home to my own bed and my family. Some say they are up and back to normal in a week. I would say from my experience only felt very much better after a week but no where near back to normal and running around doing everything I usually do. I would say take your own time rest when you need to and be kind to yourself. I was disappointed with myself at first at not being one of the ones who was ready fir anything after a week but told myself to look after myself as I would look after my family if it were them. The very best of luck you will be fine and so so relieved just book the appointment accept your scared and tell everyone you are! :-) stick to low fat for few weeks, diet is different for everyone ive been fine thank goodness.email me if you wish. Get it done then you can enjoy your life it isnt going to get better withou action (only my opinion) :-)
  • Posted

Hello Sarah

I found out today that I too have got to have my gall bladder removed and I have been referred to a surgeon in the New Year.

I find if I just get on with it and think to myself it has to be done, as the pain and discomfort is not something I want to to have forever, then I feel it will be fine.

You have had  a baby and Ive had four, so we are strong minded and that is what will see us throught.

• Posted

I can't thank you all enough for the reply they are so reassuring and help to no that I'm not alone in this situation especially the worrying stage. I have took the step and rang the doctor and im currently being refered  (even the thought of that terrifies me). The doctor predicted that the op will take place somewere around early spring eeeeekkk.  Do you no if you can request stitches at all.instead of staples as that's another thing that's putting me off. I no the scares neater with staples but the scar isn't an issue for me. 

A few other questions that I was wondering Was if I left the gallstone were it was would it apart from cause me pain be life threatening or cause any other damage to me as I read on someone else's thread that there relation died of an infection of the gallbladder. So that is also worrying to think if I leave it that could have bigger implications than having the op. 

I hope you all had a fab xmas and new year and your pains didn't cause you too much bother. I have piggery out a little over xmas and had a few choccy which I was surprisingly ok with but my xmas and new year roast dinner caused me pain which was strange. 

Thanks again i really get comfort from these messages xx

• Posted

Sarah sorry you have to wait so long for your surgery. I was clued and had stitches. I haven't heard anyone else having stitches, but I had stitches when I had my c-section to save my daughters life. They took the staples out before I left the hospital and then they taped it.

I was scared going under, it was my first time. I had my op Nov. 11. Its normal being scared but think of the long term no pain. It will take a month or so to heal up.

Lowfat diet and lots of water.

My Christmas was great. No pain that day. Chocolate can upset your gall bladder. Avoid fried and spicey foods.

Try eating small meals. Let us know how you are doing?

• Posted

Hi I am no expert and can only speak from my own experience. I too was so afraid I thought I could suffer the pain and watch my diet but eventually you realise its only going to get worse. My surgeon said to me " its up to you to decide I can do it while you are relatively well and it will be straight forward or I'll see you sometime coming through a and e when it won't be so easy. From what I researched if you're living with inflammation its not good for you in any respect. Just remember you'll be asleep and from my experience will be taken very good care of and all this will be behing you. If I'm honest recovery took longer than I expected, pain not bad just not running around like some have experienced but glad its over and done with. Take care and think positive :-)
  • Posted

Sorry forgot to say about stitches, I'm in the uk by the way. I had 3 tiny scars that didnt hurt at all and one just above belly button which was about 3 cm as they had a bit of a struggle getting it out (not that I knew) they made it a bit bigger . All were closed with internal disolving stitches and glue on the outside, so no stitches or staples to see. The bigger scar was sore when moving, getting in and out of bed . The tip I was given was to breath out as you move and it did work. I however kept forgetting, by the time id mastered it it had stopped hurting. Don't worry I was worried about looking at it but it was ok, just a bit bruised. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

I didn't have staples and as it was a keyhole op there is only a tiny scar. I had the op about 5 years ago and you can barely see anything there now. I had had such a horrible time with pain, sickness and jaundice before I had the op that it was a huge relief to get rid. I recovered very quickly & have had no problems since. 

Complications wise, my GP said at the time that people with gallstones can get pancreatitis and it would be much better to have the op rather than get that. I never really read up on it, so I don't know much about it. I just wanted it out asap! 

When you go for your hospital appointment, take a list of questions with you and go through them with the doctor one by one. They're usually quite happy to talk it all through with you and put your mind at ease. You won't be the only nervous patient they've had! Before you go for the op you also get a pre-op assessment appointment as well, where they check you out thoroughly and make sure you're ok to go ahead. This is another good opportunity to discuss anything that's still bothering you.  Hang on in there!  x

• Posted

Hopefully it's just stitches then I will mention to the surgeon at the pre op how nervous I am and hopefully he will understand and put my mind at rest. 

People who don't have the pain will never understand how horrible the pain is do they. I think when I say about being up with the pain they envisage a stomach ache. It's so hard as my little one doesn't sleep very well so now for example I've got a niggle of pain and there's no signs of the baby sleeping so going to be a long night so both combined are tiring. 

I've taken to living on cereal for my 3 meals a day as that seems to be the only think that doesn't start it off. Even homemade vegetable soup started it the other day. 

Stuck with that to eat now x

• Posted

I'm sorry your little one isn't sleeping good, they can pick up on their parents fear and pain. If you calm down the baby might too.

Eat what you can, just small amounts at a time. Don't over eat. Keep it low fat, some veggies will kick the pain in like tomatoes.

You are so right, if people had this kind of pain they are clueless in how we feel. Use ice packs on your stomach.

My daughter was little when I got up to feed her at 2 a.m. and I felt so sick and couldn't walk to good. I ended up in the emerency room with a crying baby wanting her meal, lucky I had some breast milk in the frig. It turned out to be an inner ear infection and I had vertigo, one whole year of hell. I had attacks for many years but less. Last few years no attacks. So I know it is hard to take care of a baby when you don't feel good.

When do you have surgery? My doctor gave me medicine that helped deal with the pain before I had surgery.

Hang in there!

Lori

• Posted

Sorry to hear youve had such a bad time, we all understand how you feel and send you sympathy. However the suffering in my case made me realise I had no choice in having it done as I couldnt live for ever like that so in someway it took the choice and responsibilty for the choice away from me, (if that makes sense)! as far as eating goes it seems we all have different triggers , I found I could eat bacon of all things but cheese was a no, no! I lived mainly on ginger biscuits, bread sticks and fresh apple juice before the op and first week after. I read a lot about fresh apple juice from the chiller section not the stuff made from concentrates. I still drink it everyday now but no so much, it did seem to help keep things under control. It apparently has a lot of calories but who cares when you are suffering and eating so little else. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

I was terrified and it was constantly on my mind. Had keyhole surgery 11 days ago and I now wonder why I had got myself in such a state about it. Good luck x
    • Posted

Congratulations. That's the type of message I want to hear. I'm waiting to have mine out.  All the very best smile
    • Posted

Hi Georgia read my post from the day after I had my surgery. Hopefully it will give you further reassurance. Good luck with yours and if you want any further info don't hesitate to ask.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.