Need my gallbladder out and petrified. would people recommend

Posted , 17 users are following.

I have had a large gallstone for around 5 years now but for the past year the pain has gotten much worse and more frequent. Resulting in me not being able to eat anything without being up all night in really bad excruciating pain. The doctors have recommended removal but I'm so scared. I've never had an operation before of an anesthetic of any kind so to sat I'm scared is an understatement. I've got a 9 month old and don't want to die whilst having surgery but it's also ruining my life right now. 

How do you feel after having yours out please. 

Many thanks

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm reqlly worried too, I'm having my surgery for my gallbladder tomorrow and I'm really worried about the recovery and how much my life will be affected as I'm only 19yo.
    • Posted

It will be ok. I just had mine removed Nov. 11.

Good luck and take care.

Any questions just ask.

Lori

• Posted

Hey! I'm currently 19 years old and have been advised to remove my gall bladder. I just wanted to know what has it been like for you after the operation? Are you still able to be a normal 20-year-old and eat normally (pig out once in a while like a college student does) or do you have to be extremely careful of your diet? Badically, how has your life changed post operation? I'd be really thankful to hear from you before I make a decision. Thank you! smile -Ash
  • Posted

Sorry I just posted a reply here to e99455 but it seemed to be eaten! Anyway the most of it was saying its perfectable acceptable and understandable to be afraid and to tell all staff that you deal with that you are. Its easy to say post operative for me that you will be fine. You didn't say here if you have been suffering a lot of pain but if gallbladder is being removed I assume you must have been, that will all be gone along with your gallbladder. Then you can get on with enjoying your life. Take care and good luck for tomorrow.
    • Posted

Thank you octavia123! I know it's the best place to be in hospital and all, it's iust fear of the unknown! I have to admit that I was suffering a huge amount of pain last easter, but I went into hospital then and they widened the common bike duct opening into my gallbladder so that if stones needed to pass out they could do so then without pain, so I've been pain free since then. The doctors wanted to take out the gallbladder then but found that it would have been too dangerous so they sent me back to university and it has taken up until now to get an appointment together. I'm hoping that once I have recovered I'll no longer have a funny ache in my side and I can have a complete pain and ache free body for once!
    • Posted

I hope you have your surgery real soon. It was my second surgery and first time going under. You don't realize anything is going on. You wake up in recovery and you realize you don't recall going to sleep.

I hope everything goes well. Keep us updated.

Lori

• Posted

Thank you Lori! I have been under general anaesthetic before so it's not that part I worry about, it's nice knowing you all here have had problems too!

X x

• Posted

Hi Sarah. I too was petrified before my keyhole surgery two weeks ago today. I had myself worried sick before I arrived at the hospital for 7·30am. I was relieved to be first on the list for surgery and before I knew it I was back on the ward and minus a gallbladder and so happy to have it all over. I have made a great recovery and am going back to work tomorrow. My wound on my belly button is still quite tender but my job is office based so I don't have to do any physical work. I hope you get some reassurance from my post and if you need to ask any questions please feel free to do so. Good luck and keep us updated
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply it's very reassuring. Can I ask did they allow you to have anyone I'm with you while you got put to sleep? X
    • Posted

I didn't have anyone with me when I was put to sleep but the staff in the theatre were very caring and supportive and before I knew it I was wakening up.
  • Posted

After having problems with acid refulx I had an ultra sound scan. I have been told today that I have 1 very large gall stone. I go back to see the consultant in 12 weeks to tell if if I want the op or not.

I do have an ache in my right side and always thought it was muscle pain or cold now I know it's the stone causing it.

I will take a list of questions with me so I can way up the pro's and cons of waiting.

So glad to hear sucessful stories after reading a few horror ones.

• Posted

Hi there. Like you I was also terrified about having surgery. I had lived with the pain of gallstones for far to long and had tried to minimise gallbladder attacks by watching what I ate. I have been vegetarian for over 25 years so I had a fairly good diet anyhow. However over Christmas I indulged in foods I wouldn't normally have and I really suffered for it. Several nights I wakened in agony and thought I was going to have to go to A&E and it was then I realised I had made the right decision to have surgery. I had my gallbladder removed on 29\12\14 and it was nowhere near as bad as I had imagined. My largest stone was 4.5 cm and they even gave it to me as a badge of honour. I have made a really good recovery and I am feeling my general health and wellbeing so much better. I hope all goes well for you.
  • Posted

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. Thought I'd come on and update you all. Thanks again for all the replies they really do help a lot. Well I've been eating right ect now since the last time I was on. I lost weight and hadn't had the pain for months. Then I done the most silly thing ever and started to eat all the wrong things again. Chocolate, takeaways ect and needless to say I gave the pain back with avengance tonight. All my painkillers arnt seeming to shift it. I'm my own worst enemy and so silly. I will definatly resume the healthy eating again as of tomorrow.

I have my first app on Wednesday the 4th at the hospital to dicuss surgery. To say I'm nervous is an understatement. I feel physically sick when I think about it. Even the appointment scares me.

Just can't see how I'm going to be brave enough to get this done x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.