Need my gallbladder out and petrified. would people recommend

Posted , 17 users are following.

I have had a large gallstone for around 5 years now but for the past year the pain has gotten much worse and more frequent. Resulting in me not being able to eat anything without being up all night in really bad excruciating pain. The doctors have recommended removal but I'm so scared. I've never had an operation before of an anesthetic of any kind so to sat I'm scared is an understatement. I've got a 9 month old and don't want to die whilst having surgery but it's also ruining my life right now. 

How do you feel after having yours out please. 

Many thanks

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi sarah, don't feel bad for eating things you've enjoyed we all do it and think shouldn't have eaten that! See it as confirmation that you need gb removed. It's unrealistic to think you can never eat all these things for your whole life when there is an alternative. Just go with the flow a step at a time. Assuming you are in the uk, you will probably see the surgeon (tell them you are beside yourself with fear but yes please take away this awful pain for me) . Next appt is for pre op checks with nurse. Tell her of your fears and she'll tell you why you don't need to be :-). Next surgery.! You will still be terrified just keep telling yourself thousands of people go through this everyday and for much riskier proceedures than mine, I will be fine and enjoy my life. I believe ( I never tried it as it was after my op that i heard buscapan that people take for ibs helps the gallbladder pain , it relaxes the spasams) my doc explained to me gb attack the gallbladder keeps squeezing until it is exhausted trying to send out enough bile for what we have eaten hence the pain.

hold on in there not long til your appointment, step 1! Keep in touch with us on here remember a lot of us were the same. Good luck :-)

• Posted

hi sarah i can totally understand why you are so worried about having surgery. i had my gallbladder removed in 2012 for the same reason ( i had 6 large stones in mine). if you are having keyhole surgery then it is usually a quick procedure and recover time is a lot quicker too for most people.  i would do it again if faced with the same problems ( severe pain and vomitting). hope this helps you to come to a decision and good luck if you do decide to have it done.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

I am having my gallbladder out on 20th April. As i write this i am in immense pain with it. But in saying that im scared too. I suffer badly from anxiety. I have 2 kids and a puppy that i want to be here for . All im worried about is not waking up as i hate the sensation of being put under. Trying to be positive. Will update you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.