Need support for major taste disturbance after taking Lamisil

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi I would like to connect to people who have had taste disturbances due to lamisil. I took it for 4 weeks and then suddenly 4 days ago, I have severe taste disturbance. Can anyone offer any advice? I am 45 years old. This is the worst thing that has ever happened to me!

2 likes, 74 replies

74 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My bean and bacon soup is from the can, just add water and microwave. Need that protein. It looks like we are on about the same track. Hoping to be over this the first part of Sept. I am dreaming about the buffet.

• Posted

How are you hanging in there? Any new discoveries? Today i discovered tzaztiki sauce and hummus with a greek salad (no meat). All in all, it went down pretty well. Only really ripe, bright red tomatoes taste like anything. Also, I found that unsweetened tea is tasting good. I've been adding lime to my ice water. I CANNOT wait until this is over!

• Posted

Mild beer is going down. Grilled chicken breast went down yesterday. Been following my 14 yr old sons advise, just eat it like they eat slugs on survival show. Had the unsweet today, yes that was OK. ill have to try the hummus and that sauce.

• Posted

I tried the hummus and lime in water. The hummus wasnt so good, but the lime was quite good. My new discovery was tilapia, baked with only lime juice and pepper, no oil. It was quite good. Hope your hanging in there.

• Posted

hi, yea trying to hang in there. Nearly 3 weeks down. I have lost 7 pounds so far! For the hummus, I believe it has to be very freshly made. The one I tried was from a Greek restaurant with a Greek salad (no meat on it). Wow, I really want to try the peppered lime tilapia! That sounds great! I tried veggie Vietnamese pho tonight and it was quite tasty. I added extra veggies and herbs. I can't wait to be able to enjoy cheese again. For a semi taste of sweetness, I tried honey in my tea, and it is somewhat sweet. This is such a slow and super frustrating process!

• Posted

I have been experiencing this for over a week now. So frustrating. I read on here from posts several years ago and someone suggested steroids. Have you ever heard this? I was curious if anyone's Dr had that suggestion for helping taste come back quicker.

• Posted

Welcome to the support group sherry. I have no idea on the steroids and have not spoken to a doctor about my taste loss. It will be 3 weeks for me on Thur. I am just trying to find a diet that can sustain me for 6 weeks as that seems to be the magic time frame. Am almost half way there!

• Posted

Welcome Sherry. I, too, have not heard of steroids for this condition. I did talk to my internal med dr 2 weeks ago and she did not mention that. She had never heard of this happening to any of her other patients. This is truly the worst! I'll be at 3 weeks on Sunday. The first week was horrible because I was starving, depressed and didn't want to eat. I am sort of getting used to not be able to taste much now and just finding foods that work for me. Steve and I have been sharing our food discoveries and that has been a huge help! A lot of natural things are tasting pretty good to me. Walnuts, sunflower seeds, carrots, cucumbers, raisins. White rice is also good. Also, honey to sweeten tea is good. Almond milk is good in raisin bran. Just try to hang in there. Perhaps we can all share our new discoveries and get through this together.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I am just into this for a week and from everything I am reading its going to be a long process. I had a pretty bad cold and at first just thought that's why everything tasted off but I soon realized there was something else going on. I am so thankful I found some others that are experiencing the same thing. I think my husband thought I was crazy...lol. My doctor is away and not returning until Monday so I am anxious to talk with him. and see if he has any suggestions. I'm going to ask about the steriods but it sounds like that probably in not a quick fix. I did try the cucumbers last night and I was able to taste them a little. As strange as it sounds I had French Fries yesterday at lunch and with some vinegar they weren't bad either. Milk and water are horrible for me so I am struggling to find beverages I can actually get down. Do you think the Almond milk was better than regular ?

• Posted

I went to the Grocery store yesterday and picked up some of the things that you guys had talked about. I have found that the peanuts seem to be good and I’m going to try the rice and curry tonight. If you come up with any other suggestions I would be more than happy to hear them. This is an awful experience.

• Posted

hi Sherry,

yes, almond milk tasted better than regular milk. Peppermint tea tastes good to me (unsweetened). Also, I tried iced passionfruit tea with lemonade (unsweetened) from Starbucks today. That tasted really nice and refreshing to me. Although, it wasn't sweet. For breakfast I've been having oatmeal with walnuts and raisins, but again no sweet taste. Freshly popped popcorn tasted good to me also. I added melted butter, although I can't really taste it. I took my last Lamisil tablet 3 weeks ago today. This has been the worst experience EVER! It's so frustrating and nobody seems to understand what we are going through! Hang in there!

• Posted

I am trying to hang in but its so difficult. I know my husband thinks I am crazy. I don't even know how to explain it!!! I have read that it gradually comes back but I was wondering when you start to notice because it hasn't gotten any better. I did try the pop corn and it was pretty good. My hardest thing is finding something to drink. I will have to try the peppermint tea. Thank you again for the support.

• Posted

I'm not really sure when it starts to come back. But, I read in these posts that by 5-6 weeks, we should see a difference. I also read that sometimes there are good days and bad days. Yesterday i felt like i had a bad day, but today I felt like it was a good day. I tried bbq yesterday and it was not good. Today I tried ham (not deli meat) and it was good. It was not salty tasting though. Also walnuts and sunflower seeds are good. Cheese is still not good for me yet and that is most excited about tasting again. For drinks unsweetened apple juice and grapefruit juice has been tasting good to me. Also unsweet flavored tea like mango tastes good.

• Posted

Its been about 3.5 weeks for me. Good question on when you notice taste coming back. Nothing much has any taste, but at least water doesn't taste bad anymore. I think it is like kids growing up. Don't really notice the small changes.

• Posted

HI Steve and Sherry,

HOW are you hanging in? I thought I'd share that I discovered three new things- baked potatoes, grilled shrimp, and pretzels (can't taste salt on them). I am very pleased with my new discoveries! 3.5 weeks down for Steve and I!

• Posted

This is good news! I did go to a ball game the other night and discovered that chili cheese fries went down pretty well. Although I couldn’t really taste anything but possibly a hint of chili they didn’t have that horrible taste that I have with some foods. I also found a pistachios actually taste good. I also did check with my GP and really no suggestions other than time like we’ve all read about. Almost 2 weeks down and still surviving! How long until beer and wine taste good????

• Posted

I've discovered that the light beer is OK. No reason to waste your money on the expensive stuff.

• Posted

I usually don't drink light but I will have to try it this evening! Thank you.

• Posted

Today it has been one month. I think I may occasionally taste some things? Chocolate milk tasted sort of like non-sweetened chocolate. However, the tilapia I had the other day wasn't as good as last week. Perhaps I am experiencing the ups and downs of a beginning of recovery? I have lost in excess of 15 pounds, about 10 pounds more than needed. Still drinking vanilla nutrition drinks to combat weight loss. I am not even desiring to eat anything, just eating what I can force down to keep from disappearing. Think I'm having a bad day....

• Posted

awwww I had a bad day on Saturday. I literally couldn't taste anything that day! But, Greek salad and hummus (fresh) is still tasting good now. Have you tried ham? That tasted good to me. Not the deli meat though. I'm going to make ham and white bean soup this weekend. That is what someone else on here said tasted good to them. Hang in there Steve!

• Posted

I am just now going into my third week and nothing seems to be tasting any better. I have noticed sometimes things taste better than other times. When I think I have found something I can enjoy the next time I eat it I can barely taste it or it tastes horrible. Perhaps this is also the ups and downs you both are experiencing as well. I feel like I have been living on nuts and cucumbers. My husband and I are supposed to be going on vacation in a few weeks. Not really looking forward to it knowing I am not going to be able to enjoy the good foods and drinks that come along with vacation. It's sad that I enjoy food that much. I never realized that until now. I did discover Cheerios are pretty good. I have only been eating them dry. I am going to try them with some Almond milk and see how they are. I will say that being able to speak with others that are experiencing the same frustration has been a tremendous help! Thank you.

• Posted

How are you doing? I feel like I am doing better. Tonight, for the first time in nearly 5 weeks, I had a slice of pizza for dinner. It was actually pretty good! it had lots of veggies, bacon and pepperoni. I could taste it about 65%. I'm still not able to taste sweet yet, but seeing some improvement for sure! I made ham and white bean soup this weekend. It was really good, just not very salty tasting. I feel as if I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel!

• Posted

Glad to hear things are improving. It will be 5 weeks for me on Thurs, and I too am noticing some improvement. I definitely have some taste back. I can tell the difference between salt and sugar! I would give mine about a 10- 20% recovery. My pizza last week wasnt so good but the chicken last night wasn't too bad. My coffee taster still isn't working. Still need to try that ham. I am looking forward to that 6 week milestone, only a little over a week away. Sherry, I think you may have timed your vacation just about right.

• Posted

Hi guys! I have been away a few days. We had a death in the family. But I am so glad to hear you both are finally seeing some improvement. I gives me hope!!! I absolutely have good days and bad. This past Friday was horrible but then Saturday wasn't too bad. I am dying for a piece of pizza so hopefully in maybe two weeks I can enjoy a slice! I have three more weeks until vacation so fingers crossed most of my taste will be back. I did enjoy a WhiteClaw seltzer drink this weekend and that was much needed 😃 My coffee taster is still way off too Steve but I have found that most teas (without sweetener) are all pretty good. I even ate a few Cheetos that surprisingly were not awful. Stay in touch and let me know how you are progressing. Like I said it gives me hope and possibly makes not get so grouchy.

• Posted

It has been 5 weeks and 2 days for me. I am definitely riding the roller coaster. Got balsamic vinaigrette dressing a few weeks ago and it was horrible. Tried again few days ago and it was great, even just drank the stuff. Yesterday, it wasn't so good. Steak dinner last night was OK, but not what I hoped it would be. Chocolate milk tastes semi-sweet but good. Am tasting some salt. Seems like the edges of my tongue are working better than middle. The coffee and beer taster is still misfiring. I have lost 15 lbs. but am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

Glad to hear you are feeling better! It has been 5 weeks today for me since I took my last tablet and the day I had my last good meal which was Chinese food. That day i knew something was wrong because i couldn't taste my Coke with my meal. That is because sugar was the first to go. I too am starting to taste things better now, but still not sweet yet. I had a cuban ham sandwich for lunch yesterday and that was good! i haven't tried steak yet. But shrimp is tasting good. I was always able to taste salad (fresh veggies) and balsamic dressing. But no other dressing was good at all! I've been drinking iced tea sweetened just a little and with lemon and that has been good. I lost 10 pounds and that has been stable for over a week. I just wonder when I am going to be fully recovered.

• Posted

It's good to hear that you both are seeing slight improvements. I guess I thought the gradual recovery would be a little more evident. Every time I think things may be tasting better, the next day I don't taste anything! Then I start thinking my "good" days are just me getting used to foods having any flavor. Do you guys feel that way? I was at a Labor Day picnic this weekend and I was so disappointed in all the things that I wanted to eat but couldn't have. I did have some pasta which had sausage in the sauce rather than hamburger and it was pretty good and a piece of chocolate zucchini cake. No sweet taste to it but I could taste the chocolate. But for the most part things are still very bland or have a bad taste. I am almost at 4 weeks and feeling so discouraged!

• Posted

I'll be hitting that 6 week mark in two days. Things seem to be stagnant or maybe up and down a little for me over the past couple weeks. Good question as to whether my taste is improving or just getting used to it. However, I am absolutely sure that things are significantly better than the first week or so when even water was terrible. I am now maintaining my weight without the supplemental shakes. Tried lots of different things on Labor Day and found that watermelon was quite tasty and good. Finally tried that ham, not too bad. Unless something drastically improves in the next couple days, I am afraid that 6 week mark may be just a rough guideline. Cant wait until my coffee taster starts working again.

• Posted

Yes, I was hoping you guys had a recovery at 6 weeks. Some of the previous posts I read from several years ago actually were saying 8-12 week but everyone seem to have a different time line and I am sure everyone's perspective of improvement is different. I am trying to be patient and thankful for the good days. I will have to try the watermelon again. The last time I tried it was not good. Pistachios have been the best tasting thing for me but I am getting very tired of them. I miss the sweets more than anything. I never realized how much sugar I must have consumed in a day! And coffee... I am so missing a good coffee! Hang in there and thanks for keeping me posted on your progress. It gives me hope the end of this is in sight.

• Posted

Hi Sherry and Steve,

Well today has been 6 weeks for me. I gave up and just started eating everything, whether I could taste it or not. It seems like most things taste pretty good and that I have had a recovery except for sweet things. I still cannot taste sweet drinks, foods or candy. Soda tastes disgusting because all I taste is the carbonation. Wine still tastes really terrible as well. Any anything tangy like sour cream, greek yogurt and cream cheese still tastes weird. I lost a total of 11 pounds. I wonder how long this is going to linger on. What a terrible experience! I hope you both are fairing well!

• Posted

I am fairing similarly. Center of mouth and tongue, before swallowing, lacks most taste. But am tasting salt and most things besides sweet while chewing. It will be 7 weeks for me on Thurs. Mustard and vinegar have become my favorite condiments. Not sure how long it lingers. But in thinking back a month or so, things are very much improved. Hope you are enjoying the vacation.

• Posted

It has been 4 weeks for me as of last Thursday. I can honestly say I don't feel like I have improved a whole lot. I think I am just getting used to the strange way things taste or that they have no taste at all. I kept reading other older posts about how people got their taste back gradually but I am not experiencing that. Actually, most of the things I eat don't taste good... they simply don't taste bad. And I am still finding it difficult to find anything that I can drink. Water is still nasty and like you said soda is nothing but carbonated liquid. Although, it sounds like you are seeing some improvement at 6 weeks. As we have all read the sweet is that last to come back so hopefully you will start to notice that changing soon. It's such a frustrating experience. I knew when they had to check liver level before starting this medicine it was not a good thing to be taking. I should have listened to my own instincts! Keep me posted on your progress.

• Posted

Steve,

This gives me hope that I should see a change in the next few weeks. I just replied to Abbisunshine about how I think I am just getting used to things not having flavor rather than seeing an improvement. We will see what happens. you guys are almost exactly 2 weeks ahead of me.

• Posted

It has been 7 weeks and 1 day for me today. Things are definitely much improved. Salt and even sweets are returning. Had a vanilla chocolate swirl ice cream the other day, best ever. Yesterday had a huge plate of spaghetti for dinner and later ate a bunch of Halloween candy. At this rate, I'm going to gain my weight back in about a week. Am not 100%, but a good 80% back. That coffee taster is still not quite there. Am looking forward to celebrating a full recovery at a buffet in a week or so.

• Posted

wow! thats fantastic! i still can't taste sweet yet. i've been drinking sweet tea but can't taste the sweet. I tried a piece of chocolate and YUK! I've been going to soup and salad buffet and that is good! IT's just taking a little longer for me. But I won't be at 7 weeks for a few more days. I've lost a total of 10 pounds.

• Posted

How's everyone doing? I'm at 8 weeks out and still can't taste anything sweet. I took a sip of soda today by accident and it was still disgusting. Everything else has just about fully returned. I'm enjoying tasting most everything. I haven't gained any of my lost 11 pounds yet, probably because I haven't had any sugar in more than 8 weeks. Looking forward to hopefully having some Halloween candy soon! Hope all is well with you both.

• Posted

I'm doing OK. It has been 8 wks and 4 days for me. Sorry it is taking a bit longer for you to enjoy the sweet stuff. Even though I can taste sweet and salt, and most anything, I am still not 100%. It seems that the past week or so I have a constant funny taste in my mouth, however, it is nothing like that foul taste for the first week or so. Also continue to experience the ups and downs, sometimes something tastes good and sometimes not so good. Still don't like bread or crackers and the coffee taste isn't all there. I did enjoy a Sam Adams, err maybe 2, over the weekend and it was good but not not quite all there. The first day I noticed my taste problem was eating a burrito and drinking a Sam Adams. I can definitely say without any doubt that the taste of beer is very much improved. However, burritos still not so good, perhaps I should try the corn wraps.

• Posted

Hi guys! It's been a little over 6 weeks for me. I can say for sure things are much better. I would say about 50%. Still nothing sweet yet and it's pumpkin season so I am missing my sweets!! Water is finally tasting better and I did have a few beers on vacation and they were good....Bloody Marys were very good! I am still not enjoying the full flavor of things but I can at least say I am improving. By the sounds of your progress I should hopefully be even better in the next two weeks. Some of the people I have told about this side effect don't seem to understand how frustrating and terrible this experience is. It has been so helpful to be able to communicate with you guys. Steve, you will have to let me know how the corn wrap goes. Abbisunshine, I'm ready for Halloween candy too!

• Posted

It is going on 10 weeks for me. Things are a good 90% improved. Not quite 100% as some things arent yet quite all the way there, coffee and bread for example. Recovery over the weeks has been very slow and wavering, but I believe that in a week or so this whole experience will be just a bad memory. Thanks Abbi and Sherry for sharing this experience.

• Posted

I want to thank you both for your willingness to share your experience also. I found it extremely helpful to know I wasn't completely crazy. Sharing recipes and foods that weren't horrible got me through. I am almost at 8 weeks and like you not 100% yet but I see progress every couple days. Yesterday I was able to have ice cream which I haven't had in over 2 months. It was so good!

I will be warning others about not taking this medicine!

• Posted

Hi Steve and Sherry, I'm at the 11th week mark now. i feel like i have made a 95% recovery. Almost everything is back to normal except for soda. Coke still tastes awful. I don't like coffee so that was never an issue for me. Anything sweet still tastes a little off. Not quite there yet with sugar. But much better than in the beginning. It has been a miserable experience for sure and I thank you both so much for sharing your ideas and and your encouragement. It helped me immensely! Are either of you on social media so that we could keep in touch rather than on here. there seems to be a lot of spam on here.

• Posted

great! are you from texas, sherry stroup gorsuch or are you sherry morgan gorsuch? lol there are a few

• Posted

Guess what, my taste problems have returned after about 5 months of recovering. It is not as bad as first go around, but it is scaring me as I did not take lamisil again. Sweet and salt are all but gone for a few days now. The horrible taste has not returned. It is scaring me as I have not seen a relapse months after recovery in any of the threads. Has anyone heard of this problem coming back?

• Posted

whatttttt?!? noooooooo!! this is just terrible news! say it isnt so! mine is fine as i have fully recovered. this is just crazy whats happened to you!

• Posted

It is so. Relapsed with taste loss about a week ago and it has been holding with about 70% loss. Definitely not as sever as first go around, but am concerned since I have never heard of a relapse. I hope to recover again, will keep posted.

• Posted

Just thought I'd update on my relapse. It is coming back! Probably about 75% taste now, what a relief. I was worried about recovering, again. Anyway, we now know there can be a relapse and the taste does come back, again. One less thing to worry about, as we have different concerns these days.

• Posted

Just another update. My relapse of taste loss continues with ups and downs in taste. After my 75% taste a few weeks ago, it dropped to about 40% and has been getting a little better, I think. After about a month into this relapse, I'm probably at about 60ish % taste. Hoping for a full recovery, again, in a few weeks.

• Posted

Another update. Am about 7 wks into my relapse of taste loss and have substantially recovered. It seems to be on a similar timeline as the first recovery. Also, I see taste loss and smell loss may be a Covid19 symptom. My smell has remained good, so I believe it is a relapse of the Lamisil taste loss.

• Posted

Following these posts has been so helpful to me! Thanks, I'm in week two of this awful ordeal. Gives me hope that however long it takes, it will come back.

• Posted

Glad to hear that the posts are reassuring others, as they did me. At two weeks, you should be past the worst of it. You can probably drink water without the lemon. In my experience, I think the 6-7 week recovery timeline fit. However, taste returned so slowly for me that it is really hard to point to a day that things were back to normal. P.S., think I've regained my 15 lbs., ughhh.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.