Need tube from gallbladder clear before operation.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, has anyone been told the tube from the gallbladder needs to be clear before you can have operation. After a scan for pain on right side I was told I have gallstones and because of the bad episodes of pain I need my gallbladder out but the surgeon has now told me that if after my next scan if the tubes not clear I will need a tube put down my throat to clear it, I really do not want this. Please if anyone knows a alternative can you let me know. 

2 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have never heard of this debs10. I had a CTscan, found gallstones, had surgery. So, I do noit understand this.
    • Posted

I know Angela, everyone I know that have had gallbladder removed just had operation but surgeon told me I can't have op until this tube is cleared !!!!!! Still not sure . Thanks for answering.
  • Posted

Hi debs10 the surgeon probably means the tube needs to be clear of stones or grit. Hope this helps. X
    • Posted

Yes I think you may be right Acejohnston, I wondered if anyone else had this happen to them and if they had it cleared. I would rather wait for it to clear it self then have another procedure to have it cleared. Thanks.
    • Posted

No problem debs10. Its a pity they can't just take out the gallstones and leave the gallbladder as well. Is your gallbladder inflamed as well or have you just got the stones. Very painful things! Have you tried Apple cider vinegar in some warm water. Might help With the pain while your waiting for the operation. X
    • Posted

The surgeon said it's easier just to take gallbladder out, I've had to go to hospital twice for morphine as the pain has been so bad. I was diagnosed in December with gallstones. No I havnt tried Apple cider vinegar, will definitely give it a try. On Monday (after another hospital visit ) they gave me codeine tablets. I have a MRI scan tomorrow ( Sunday ) I suppose got to wait and see if it says tube is clear as first scan showed it wasn't. X
    • Posted

Wishing you the best of luck with the Mri tomorrow. Hope all goes well for you. Keep us posted. X
  • Posted

Yes I did debs, it's called an ERCP it's like having an Endoscopy but they retrieve stones that have gone into the bile duct. I went in hospital at 8am and was back home at 3pm I was fine they gave me an injection into my hand I didn't know anything until I woke up later. I asked if there was anything else they could do but unfortunately there isn't. You will be fine love honestly I didn't even have a sore throat afterwards.
  • Posted

Sorry I should have said that I had the ERCP and a week later had my gall bladder removed as it was very badly infected. xx
    • Posted

Thanks Sandynan, they did say it's only a day procedure, but it sounds horrific, I'm so scared, hopefully tomorrow's scan shows its cleared. Thanks so much for your comforting words.x
    • Posted

Debs I'm sure you will be fine nobpody coul have been more scared than me let me know how you go on love xxx 
    • Posted

It's as Sandynan has indicated debs. You should be ok so do as the doctor suggests and don't worry.
  • Posted

I had severe pain and gallstones were clogging my duct and affecting my liver and pancreatis.  They told me I was dying.  I had 1 surgery on Sat. to remove the stones out of the duct and pancreatis.  Then I had a 2nd surgery on Monday to remove the gallbladder itself.  The gallstones had clogged my system and caused different liver levels to be too high and had to be fixed first.  Hope that helps.
    • Posted

Thanks Gloria, don't think mines that serious. The surgeon did say that if my tube still needs clearing I would have it cleared then around 10 days later have my gallbladder removed. Hope your much better now. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.