Needing a new knee cap

Posted , 12 users are following.

I was a gymnast as a teenager. Around age 25 I dislocated my left knee. 4 years later I fell and injured it. Now I'm 45 and my doc says I need a knee replacement. I opted for PT instead. Its been 2 months with no change, no relied!!! It mostly hurts constsntly. Any suggestions? Please😊

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

A new knee cap only? Interesting. When I was 41 I had an MRI done and the doctor said my left knee was in need of a replacement and my right knee wasn't far behind (result of running on a steel deck when I was in the Navy and not changing out my running shoes every 6 months). I thought I was too young and did the math...if it last 15 years and I can go through the prodedure twice, I didn't want to do it too soon and be left in a wheelchair when I still wanting to explore the world. I suffered, and I do mean suffered for 9 years, until I couldn't walk normal and had a horrible limp that was causing sever hip and back pain. I had both knees totally replaced in the same surgery - might as well feel miserable all at once and not spread it out Besides, not sure the other bad knee could survive all that would be forced upon it. 1.5 years later I'm kicking myself for waiting so long. While they aren't perfect like the knees I was born with, they are so much better than what I'd been forcing myself to live with. But it's been work. And now I have found out that my knee cap in one knee is bad - that's not something that is normally replaced at the same time as the knee (though in my opinion, if you are going to call it a total knee replacement, that should include the cap). I say go fo it.
  • Posted

I managed to put of my bilat knee replacements for 5 years with cycling, swimming, glucosamine, chondroitin and msm. There's a reason why the docs say you need a tkr. Much good luck to you.
  • Posted

You are young enough you should bounce back in a hurry. Different studies offer different results as far a the life of the prosthesis. I've know people who got 20 yrs out of there's.so 15 to 20 years you may have to have a revision but who knows with technology what will happen. You need your life back without pain because living in pain isn't a real life. Start working on quad strength as soon as possible. Go to you tube and pit building your quads and it will tell you and show you The latest and best method. Good lunch. Stay with this forum for all sorts of solutions to any and all issues concerning recovery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.