Needing Advice pretty scared

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. New to this forum and looking for advice. Two years ago I was diagnosed with a nod superventrical tachycardia . It really scared the crap out of me. I am 41 female healthy other wise. I had 2 echos done one last year one this year it says all is fine. My question is what do you do to calm your symptoms down during an episode. My cardiologist has put me on beta blocker which I haven't started yet just got them. She said that she didnt believe that it was very necessary however I've been having heart palpitations around my cycle and I'm peri meno. So she said it could help with those. Was wondering if anyone was on them what kind of side effects you have and also about exercise . Do you still do cardio with Svt any info would be great ty

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Renee61138,

I'll try to put your mind at ease if I can. My daughter-in-law, who is your age, has had nodal

svt since she was a teen. To my knowledge, she takes no medicine for it, because it's really not

necessary according to the cardiologist she saw. She even had a couple episodes during her

first and last pregnancies. No complications, but she told me that emotional upsets can definitely precipitate them. When her mother was dying of lung cancer, she experienced one.

I know for a fact that beta blockers can and do interfere with trying to get to your target heart

rate. I had that for years as I was prescribed a beta blocker due to atrial fibrillation ( which is

a far more serious condition)and because I have hypertension and a congenital heart defect.

I was recently switched, at my insistence, to a third generation beta blocker (Bystolic) 4 years

ago because the older med was preventing me from reaching my target heart rate. But, Bystolic is very costly, my out of pocket expense is over 200.00 for 90 days worth. I'm sure you

can do cardio, my dil is very active and very fit. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I was actually on my last pregnancy when it happened I was very emotional and me n hubby had an argument so yes like your dil emotional upset also triggers mine also. My sister thought I should hold off on the meds for the exact reason you explained. I feel so much better it's very scary so for last few years I try not to be stressed out but we know that happens and sometimes cant be helped. Does your daughter in law have to go to er when she is symptomatic or is she able to control on her own

• Posted

I take beta blockers only when I need to. I have been doing that for years. When I was in my 20s I had them for anxiety and in my thirties because I kept getting palpitations and chest pain which I thought was SVT but later found out was multiple pulmonary emboli. Even after treatment my heart can still go pretty fast sometimes. I only take them when my heart won't slow down straight away.

They can make you feel a bit dizzy and faint when you stand up because they lower your blood pressure. But when your heart is going mad, they are good to help slow it down though.

• Posted

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Another diagnosee..... its seems so popular now. Hopefully , with the increase in svt the docs will look into alternative cures.

Ablatlion is the only cure i know of. It is minor invasive and not at all comfortable but does the job.

Most People's attacks are anxiety triggered hence why many have report emotional upset.

for me, i used to take deep slow breaths, remaining calm is key.And a glass of water doesnt harm. nice thoughts.... this can help but cardiovascular health is key. go for a therapeutic run. it really helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.