Negative blood test but herpes symptoms present

Posted , 12 users are following.

On June 19 (monday) I noticed some bumps on my vagina and thought it was just pimples from shaving. I later had unprotected sexual with my boyfriend (now ex) that same day. Later that day, i started feeling like I'm about to get sick and pain during urination (classic symptoms of herpes). Also, I was extremely stressed out from school as it was finals week (stress triggered herpes?)

Tuesday, June 20th, i went to the doctor just to make sure or clarify what I have, I noticed the bumps gotten worse, forming into blisters and it also multiplied. So then, when I made the trip to the doctor, he looked at it and said it was genital herpes. He ordered, swabs, blood test, and urine and tested me for everything (full std panel) just in case & also specially wrote, look for HSV 1 & 2. He also prescribed be with Valtrex 500mg to be taken 2x a day. That same day I got tested and started taking the meds. The meds didn't work until the 3rd or 4th day and by Sunday, June 25, he asked me to come in and confirmed it was HSV-1, he did not show me the lab results though but gave me some advice. Told my boyfriend at that time and asked him to get tested. His results came out negative. I'm so confused why he tested negative, when we were having unprotected sex 1 month prior to my outbreak & even the day of my outbreak. 

4 months later, I got tested again (still waiting for results), & asked my ex to get retested and he said he tested negative again. 

Oct 14 night time I am was having herpes symptoms again (pimple/ulcers) so I took valtrex (left over from last time) I went to the doctor the next day oct 15, to get another prescription again. It was a different doctor as I go to a walk in clinic and asked me why I need one so I told him I have herpes all that stuff he said he's confused! He said, here look, you tested negative for both HSV 1 & 2 so I don't know why you need to take valtrex.. I asked him is it because it was a new exposure and didn't show in my blood test?? He said possibly. I also asked is it possible that I was misdiagnosed? Again he said maybe. 

TLDR: 

1. Doctor diagnosed me for having HSV-1 because I was having an outbreak and prescribed me with Valtrex that worked but blood, urine, and swabs came out NEGATIVE for HSV-1&2. Also boyfriend got tested 2x (4 months in between) still negative. How is this possible?

2. Is it maybe the "anti-bodies" were new and didn't show up in the blood test? But I was currently having symptoms when I got tested. 

3. Could I have been misdiagnosed with something else? 

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello. Canada here ..

I am male ...i was forcefully kissed on the lips by a woman that i wanted no part of. Apparently a party joke ... Not a joke. She lathered my face with her lips as i sat in a lawn chair until i tipped it over and we fell. A few days later im getting pressure under lips then itchy and stinging. That was nine months 14 doctor appts., 5 Std clinics multiple tests for multiple std at clinics at various time lines from 6 days to now 9 months. One referral to a nuerologist at 8 months . Family doc says its stress and there is nothing for a derm. To see so no referral. Maybe MS...maybe Lupus..maybe thyroid although thyroid test ok. Maybe low vit B. ...9 months every day itching burning stinging pressure skin crawling or water trickling. If a blister ever happpened it was miniscule. But rashy face. Nuerologist said buy a bike enjoy life. He didnt exam face but did motor tests. Did comment on rash. I finally went to walk in and PAID $60. To not be barred from family practice roster. Walk in doc said looks like VERICELLA KARPOSI..or HHV-8..herpes 8.. Something people with HIV are known to acquire and is spread through saliva..."great".. So another igg combo 1/2 Elisa test through public health Ontario..blood sample at life labs to pub. Health. Already did the combo igg at 9 weeks - negative. Then paid for life lab igg TYPE specific 1 and 2 at 16 weeks. -negative. All other tests at 6 days 8 weeks 13 weeks negative. Doing all those tests again at 9 months along with the hsv combo Elisa igg. . Walk in also gave me Valtrex for one week. It has deminished the symptoms . i missed a day of taking as i forgot tabs at home on work day and symptoms back. I was constantly pressuring family doc to act but says its stress. Even gave me a stress drug..dont ever take them they make you want to harm yourself. Im not like that but jitters abd bad thoughts. I stopped after 3 days. That is so much better. So Terri Warren says IGG can miss up to 20 percent of HSV 1.. sad. And this will be always ..something to do with DNA? And test.. . 9 months of constant itch etc is not consistent with herpes..but hsv can become neuralgia acccording to T Warren. No doc in Ontario will accept this.. As far as HHV8 i dont know either and dont know who to ask. Ontario sex health line counsels you to get tested ... I did..then the patronize which i get they arent god.. Found a herpes support group in Toronto that meets once a month called Phoenix but its too far for me. There is supposedly one in Hamilton but phone number is wrong. ???? So test results of 9 months post will be in this week. Dont you just hate wishing for an answer that you dont ever want just so you can move on instead of struggling for answer like "buy a bike enjoy life" i get it but i have relationship goals . being honest and trusting is important to me. Integrity is important. Love is important. Being active in my health is important.. Its not a party joke!! Im p****d ! Angry , sad, accepting, grateful for life asking the lessons this offers and itchy as hell. Best of luck

• Posted

Anti body blood test will apparently be impacted if you are on anti viral meds..not sure how long you need to be off of them 90 days rings a bell.?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.