Nerve Conduction Studies

Posted , 8 users are following.

just got back from Nerve Conduction Studies, if you go for them and they tell you the needle into the muscle doesn't hurt THEY LIE!! If you are old enough to remember the size of old syringes that's what they shove into your arm at least ten different places then they send an electric current through the blooming needle, OUCH.  The first tests aren't too bad and I thought that they were only going to do those ones, it's like a very strong TENS so not exactly pleasant but bearable. At the end of it all I've got three trapped nerves one right elbow, one right wrist and one left wrist so that's a few pains I can hopefully get rid of with injections.

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm never having it done again, was told it would be painfully, but to try and hang on because they needed the results, however it's second on my most painfully tests the first is the myelogram, where they put dye in your spine. I went in to hospital for the test, should have been out that evening made me so ill I was in for two weeks and suffered from bad headaches for months after it.
    • Posted

Glad I'm not the only one who found it painful, I've had the injected dye too, did not like that either. The most painful thing ever for me was the spinal wearing off while I was having a knee replacement. I never ever want surgery under a spinal again, probably no surgery ever again, it was mentally as well as physically painful. The anaesthetist came to my room the next day and said "it wasn't my fault, he (the surgeon) took longer than he should", never again, I'd have to be knocked out to get me to hospital!
    • Posted

Not only did they do the dye in the spine, I also had a dye to check out my kidneys at the same time.

Early this year I broke my ankle and foot, needed a screw in the foot, my no 8 op and first time ever I woke up in no pain, had a nerve block in the ankle and didn't feel anything for over 24 hours.

• Posted

Shame they can't do an all over nerve block for us sufferers, my leg is a nightmare, can't sleep for it. So tired!

gentle hugs Susan x

• Posted

Hi shelagh I am in constand pain with my legs and back. Both my legs feet ankles are very swollen wish we could have a nerve block all over our bodys take care gentle hug
    • Posted

Hi Shelagh and Kaz..Amitripltyline is a nerve blocker...I couldn't live without it ....we nearly all, on here take it at night...have you not been given it??

Do hope things get better for you both..you sound like you are in soooo much pain..gentle hugs..be blessed..have a lovely day..:-) xxx

• Posted

Hi Christine I've been taking Amitryptiline for many years along with Dyhidrocodeine, paracetamol and, more recently, Pregabalin as well as Morphine Patches. They definitely take the edge off but during a flare little helps.

gentle hugs returned, hoping you have a lovely day too xxx

• Posted

Hi christine I cant remember if my gp has tried me on that 1 or not. I cant take anything with opoids in as I have a severe reaction. reaction if I take anything with that in.Im in alot of pain at the min the sun hasnt helpd to ease my pains. hope your having a good weekend its raining in shropshire where I live its gone a bit cooler thank goodness take care gentle hug
    • Posted

Wow Shelagh you take a lot if pain reluef..poor you...I only take amitriptyline and Osteo Panadol slow release...it's just over the counter Panadol. I don't really know what some of your meds are as I live I. Oz and they are probably called something else.....hope things improve soon for you..take care..gentle hugs...be blessed..:-) ccc
    • Posted

Poor you Kaz, not being able to take them..I can't have anything with codeine in...it's rotten that you can't take something that really works

well for  Fibro...hope you get some real relief very soon Kaz..be blessed...have a nice day...gentle hugs from over the seas..:-) xx

• Posted

Hi Christine the Pregabalin is also called Lyrica, the rest I don't know. I couldn't cope with this if I was in Oz, the heat would kill me. If I can't cope with our hopeless summers I'd have no chance elsewhere 😃

have a a great day, gentle hugs x

• Posted

I still don't know what thise meds are, ?? We live in Tasmania. Which is an island  state..beautiful one day puuuurfect the next...our summers are gorgeous..25-28 average..always cooler at night too..I used to live on the mainland....like you, it was far too hot...originally from Northern UK..and hubby from London, would you believe he came here on his own at 17...people get a shock to know we met and married in Oz...they just think we knew eachother in the Uk...but I immigrated when I was 6 with my family...there's lots of Europeans in Tasmania...must be the weather we are in winter at the moments anything from -4 to 9 degrees Celsius..but the sun is always shining...not polluted here..the most beautiful flowers, plants, veggies, trees.-everything grows well here..except tropical plants....I love it....God's best kept secret..just sooo dislike the humidity of the mainland states..be blessed...Shelagh , have a lovely day..

.:-) xxx

• Posted

Normally I could tell you what Pregabalin is for but you know what the brain fog is like! I was brought up on Tyneside so I'm a Geordie but my ancestors were from Cumbria where we live now. I love this country, not the cities but we have some gorgeous countryside. Especially the Lake District where we live and the Highlands and Islands. I would have loved to have visited New Zealand, Tasmania and Australia but it wouldn't work for me now I've got this awful fibro. Anyway ... Have a brilliant day x
    • Posted

Hi christine its a nightmare not having any pain relief. I just try get through things the best I can. I use hot water bottles and wheat bags. Hope you have a good week christine and your not in too much pain take care gentle hugs smile xx
    • Posted

Hiya Kaz, I use sooo many hot water bottles when I have a bad flare up too..have a lovely day...well any day is lovely if you have less pain...be blessed..:-) xx
    • Posted

morning christine how are you? hows the weather where you are. we have had rain in the uk, Im so glad its gone cooler its surpose to be warming up again, just hope its not too hot. hope you have a lovely day today and arnt in too much pain take care gentle hugsmile 
    • Posted

Hi Kaz, the weather here is cold and very frosty white outside..(actually snowing on the mountains) but the frost looks quite nice actually, unreal how beautiful it can be in winter..,lovely and cosy inside though..lol..we had -3to 9 degrees yesterday!! No wind...But always sunny...it is 1-11 today so that's a lovely day..I used to hate it when it rained in summer when we lived in Sydney, it wouldn't cool down it just became very muggy-humid....,,can't wait for our spring and summer.,we have such beautiful seasons ...just hate those bush fires..even in Tasmania.,every year...really feel for those living near the bush..have a lovely day Kaz ..be blessed,....my pastors wife-is called Kaz..never heard of it before that....gentle hugs to you from me over the seas....:-) xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.