Nerve pain after total hip replacement.

Posted , 15 users are following.

One year out after having both hips replaced at the same time. I felt this nerve pain right after the surgery in my right leg. Now after a year it seems to be getting worse.I just had my one year check up and the xrays were great.......but this nerve pain is happening when I get up in the morning or sit too long. I am a choreographer and dance instructor so I am VERY active. Anyone else have this? And what might help? When it happens I lay on the floor and do bridges....WHEN I get up it's like the nerve has gone back to where it belongs? Thoughts?

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh my goodness I have just been getting the same and same Time scale as well. I had my hip replacement last October and am getting the same pain from when I originally had it done in my right hand side going down my leg. I too am very active going to various different gym classes so I would like to know as well 
    • Posted

Dear Jane

Sorry to hear about your pain. What approach did your surgeon use please? Was it the posterior or the anterior approach?

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I had a THR on right hip May 7 of this year and I just went back to my surgeon 2 weeks ago as I also have a pain that goes from my hip, down entire leg all the way to top of foot.  He did an MRI but I have to go to Spine DR mid Sept for results.  My surgeon said it sounded like a bulging disk.  I have never had any back problems prior to surgery, but did have 3 bad horse accidents in a 8 month period that could of caused it I guess.  Its horrible after about 10 minutes in a vehicle and at night it can get uncomfortable, and getting up in the morning, or after sitting a bit, it takes several steps to walk normal.  I was also very active prior ro surgery, avid cyclist, swimmer and horse back rider.  Now I am back to being able to get on my horse and ride, but thats about it.  Very depressing that progress is not at all as fast as I had hoped.  I figured in the shape I was in, that I would snap right back.  Apparantely not .
  • Posted

Hello Molly,

I had hip revision oct 2013 when I woke up from that surgery my left foot and leg didn't feel right alot of pain .

Tried to go back to work 6 months after the surgery could not stand for long period of time to much pain, so went back to my surgeon he sent me to neurologist he did emg test which showed I have sciatic nerve damage from the revision surgery. Not saying that's what you have, but if your pain doesn't improve you might want to go see neurologist . 

Take Care

Jackie

• Posted

Dear Jackie

Sorry to hear about your pain. What approach did your surgeon use please? Was it the posterior or the anterior approach?

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hello Richardken,

I was born with hip dysplasia this was my second hip surgery revision both were anterior approach 

My first thr went fine no problems ,but this revision has giving me nothing but problems nerve pain is horrible , I have been on disability ever since going on 5 years now . Going to see neurosurgeon Sept 14 for second opinion. don't think they can do much since my nerve is damaged hard to stand or sit for to long ankles swell too.

Thanks

Jackie  

• Posted

Dear Jackie, Kathy and Molly

Many thanks for sharing the approach you had. I've been interested in the different outcomes for the anterior and posterior approach for a couple of years and have been aware that the anterior approach appears to result in a worrying number of nerve issues.

I would further be interested in the reason for choosing the anterior approach. Were you given a reason for this approach and was the issue of possible nerve pain made clear.

Many thanks. Richard

• Posted

I needed to get back to dancing ASAP Since that is my livelihood and my only source of income....so the quicker recovery time with less restrictions appealed to me. I also had an uncle who had posterior hip replacement and as an active golfer his hip went out at least every other year! I was not really told about the nerve damage that could occur. I am 12 months out and I still don't have any feeling near my incisions .....but I'm okay if that feeling doesn't come back. I am just frustrated by the nerve pain that seems to have gotten worse in the mornings and after sitting that shoots down my leg..

• Posted

Dear Molly

Actually by a month or so there is not much difference in the recovery. Dislocation is unlikely with posterior if basic care is taken and if you do your muscle strengthening exercises.

Hop your feeling comes back soon and that the nerve pain does not effect you too much. All the best Richard

• Posted

Having my hamstring cut would have been a nightmare for a dancer. (That was my biggest fear!).....and an extra month off being an independent contactor...I probably would have lost my job.

I am glad I did the anterior......I think it probably is a life style choice as to anterior or posterior. I dance 6 hours a day sometimes and if my hamstring were affected I couldn't do what I do now .

Thanks! You are very helpful!

• Posted

Dear Jackie

I'm very sorry that you in such discomfort. From what I have gathered over several years on this forum is that the claimed advantages of the anterior approach over the posterior are at best minimal and have the nerve damage risk as you sadly have experienced..

My original hip replacement lasted twenty years of heavy work and I walked out of hospital with one stick and tossed it shortly afterwards and back to work in a couple of weeks. It was done posterior. my recent revision was also done posterior and all easy and quick. All the best. Hope that the nerve problem eases soon.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard, this method my surgeon uses and a method 4 of my friends had much success with. I was not made aware of nerve damage.
    • Posted

Molly1charlie2,

I had the posterior in april and my muscle was not cut. Maybe that happened in the past.

• Posted

Kathy if you have been on this forum for some time you will have been aware that most of the problems have arisen when the anterior approach has been used for their surgery for not just the nerve issue.

Yes there is the occasional problem with the posterior approach which is by far the most used approach but it seems that they are due to errors made by poor quality surgeon's.

Some surgeons who used to advocate and use the anterior approach have decided to revert to the posterior approach now.

Good luck with your pain issues. ,Cheers Richard

• Posted

My uncle had HUGE problems with posterior hip replacement. He would cross his legs and it would dislocate. One of the reasons I choose anterior! I feared that if I had posterior mine would also dislocate as I am a dancer and the anterior approach allowed me WAY more freedom of movement.
    • Posted

I think the major difference between the two approaches nowadays is that the posterior leaves a larger scar. My muscles were not cut with posterior either. In fact my surgeon who does hundreds of hip ops had stopped doing anterior because he felt that the muscles were not damaged as much as with anterior as they have to be stretched and pulled for anterior. I felt that I would prefer to let the surgeon have lots of room to operate rather than a cosmetic looking scar. Particularly as I was really worried about nerve damage which can be very difficult to solve. I think that was my major worry. 
    • Posted

I absolutely agree with you. A scar that takes a bit longer to fade away is as far as I'm concerned a non issue, whereas the very real risk of nerve damage which can be impossible to get rid would be a very big concern.

Of course nothing in life is risk free but picking a very experienced surgeon with a good track record is an essential starting point IMO.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Why is it that "posterior verses anterior" becomes a battle over which way is best for hip repacement? I Definately did not have both of my hips replaced at the same time with the anterior approach because I would have smaller SCARS! I did the anterior approach because I am a dancer and the anterior approach has a quicker recovery time in most cases and I would eventually have a better range of motion. (Really important for a dancer/choreographer.) The only nerve damage that was mentioned before surgery ....That I recall were the smaller nerve endings. The sciatic nerve wasn't mentioned and when I did my research online before surgery, I don't recall reading anything about that nerve being a problem. I also did stem cell therapy a year before the surgery to buy some pain free years until I reached 65 and then could retire or at least slow down since I teach 25 dance classes a week but the stem cell therapy only lessened the pain for 6 weeks. I was in horrible pain after teaching classes all day. Both hips were BONE ON BONE. This nerve pain is NOTHING compared to the pain I was in, just annoying when it happens....So glad you Posterior folks don't have any nerve problems....but then again you probably don't need to Extend your leg as high as I do! Dance is my livelihood and my passion.

• Posted

There is a lady choreographer who had two hip replacements posterior and can still put both legs behind her ears. I agree that there is a lot of discussion about whether anterior or posterior is best. In fact it now seems there is very little difference apart from the scars. As I said I was worried silly about nerve pain as I had had sciatic pain in the past and it was horrendous. 
    • Posted

Dear Molly

I'm sorry that you think that there is a battle between anterior and posterior approaches. there tends to be a lack of knowledge put forward and I and others here who have observed the various outcomes and had personal experience are simply sharing that information.

As far as extent of movement is concerned, following my total hip replacement of over twenty years ago done posterior by a very experienced surgeon, I was given no restrictions apart from do not let your leg get twisted for the first six weeks to allow the bone to bind with the prosthesis but this precaution would be sensible regardless of approach surely.

Certainly I've never felt that my hip movement was restricted in any way since that time and my work has meant some pretty extreme contortions over many subsequent years.

Good luck with your recovery. Cheers Richard

• Posted

Not sure what has transpired in the last 4 yrs as I just registered on this forum.

Your problem is not unusual as you have seen in the many replies. However, it is extremely underdiagnosed and poorly recognised by the orthopedic and neurology community. The good news is that it is usually a pretty easy fix.

First thing you need to know is that nerves don't stretch. they react with swelling and pain since this frequently causes damage to the nerve. Sometimes it is mild and the nerve can repair itself within about 3-4 months. If the footdrop/weakness, tingling, burning, shooting pains have not resolved by then, usually they will not. Not always, but most.

Basically, the nerves course thru fibrous tunnels as they pass down the leg. If you have too much traction on the nerve from a dislocation, fracture, or replacement, it will swell up and become stuck. Similar to a carpal tunnel (to use a common tunnel as an example). This is easily fixed by an outpatient surgery and removal of the fibrous tissue around the tunnel. The nerve then can restore normal flow and can repair itself (depending on how long it has been or how much damage has been done). In the cases I have done I usually see patients strength restored within a couple months and sensory problems at least 50-90% improved in a week or so.

Again it depends on the nerve involved and how long the injury has been present, how bad it is etc. I now am probably doing at least 2-3 of these a month, specifically from hip trauma.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Most orthopedists and neurologists are not aware of this condition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.