Nerve pain after total hip replacement.

Posted , 15 users are following.

One year out after having both hips replaced at the same time. I felt this nerve pain right after the surgery in my right leg. Now after a year it seems to be getting worse.I just had my one year check up and the xrays were great.......but this nerve pain is happening when I get up in the morning or sit too long. I am a choreographer and dance instructor so I am VERY active. Anyone else have this? And what might help? When it happens I lay on the floor and do bridges....WHEN I get up it's like the nerve has gone back to where it belongs? Thoughts?

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Molly1charlie2,

I'm sorry to hear about your pain in the morning and when you sit too long.  We have a lot in common I was a choreographer and dancer, my first collage degree was in performing arts. A bachelor fine arts (BFA) in dance. I also had a scholarship for being a gymnast while acquiring that degree. Although I have had four total hip replacements. Unfortunately after the fourth total hip replacement I feel as though I'm back to square one, even though all my x-rays look fine also. I too have some difficulty in the morning when I first start walking and after I sit too long. If I sit for to long when I standup the pain at times is unbearable.  However, it goes away after I've been moving for a little while but as soon as I sit down again it will come back! It makes traveling very difficult. I shall keep following this chat and hopefully somebody will be able to share some information that could be helpful to both of us and others.

Best of luck,

TK

• Posted

Wondering if you have given any thought to consulting a chiropractor?  A good one can do quite a lot for you.  BUT, make sure that you do your research on any chiropractor before you allow him to touch you.  I am in the SW and have always used the same man, but I think he is wanting to retire as he has a young family.  However, he has sold his practice, and could refer you on.  I believe that he could give some guidance to good practitioners in other parts of the UK.  

Another option may be to find a good accupuncturist.

Alternative medicine is frowned upon by many, but the good ones can do a lot of good where Western medicine has failed.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

• Posted

A good chiropractor may indeed be able to help but the OP needs to be aware that some chiropractors are only McTimoney trained which basically that they have a reduced range of techniques available to them which does not suit me to be honest.

Cheers, Richard

• Posted

That is why I made a point of stating that the chiropractor needs to be thoroughly checked out, much in the same manner as a GP. Psychoanalyst or psychiatrist, etc.  Don't let anyone touch you until you are sure of their credentials.  There are a number of quacks around, and they are not ducks.  

• Posted

Hi, I had bilateral anterior hip replacement in June 2015. My left hip minimal pain the right was swollen from knee to hip and VERY painful. Since then I have had pain in the right leg, from the bottom , through the hip to the knee . I researched IT band problems, piriformis problems and trochanteric bursitis .

I had 2 steroid inj in the trochanteric area, ( the bony sticky out bit on thigh) as this was where the biggest sting and burning was coming from.. They didn't work. The IT band (runs from knee to hip) stings and burn a lot.

I told the consultants/registrars everytime I went to the hospital, that I had a deep throb stinging pain in the right leg/thigh. They fobbed it off with various reasons.

I can't stand for long, have to sit with knees tilting down and walking triggers it off. All xrays were fine. This is all they are interested in.

After 3 yrs of complaining, the last time direct to the head surgeon, I have now been told it is greater trochanteric pain syndrome . One of the conditions I kept saying it was. Because i have now had this for over 3 yrs it is going to be more difficult to sort. The pain is constant. I can't lie on either side at night. So back only.

I had a steroid in the large bottom muscle plus in the hamstring. That worked for 2 months . The 2nd did not work as they put it in the wrong place and I am waiting for the 3rd.

I have now been given physio to try and build my withered muscles up. I have been told it can take yrs for this pain to go. Physio have said they can No longer help with the pain.

Apparently this syndrome can happen to 'women my age' but as far as I am concerned it was due to the possible rather vigorous hip replacement through a 4 inch incision.

I am wondering if some of you people out there with this near constant thigh hip pain have the same problem I have now got a diagnosis for and which has a name ...at last.

Please check it out.

• Posted

I forgot to mention that I have spinal stenosis and sciatica in the left leg. All the symptoms in my right leg were attributed to my back hence why I kept being fobbed off. The pain is nothing like sciatica pain, even though there is the stinging and burning. It's not the same sensation.

I have also tried acupuncture and see a chiropractor . It doesn't really help my right leg but dies help my back. I enjoy going to be honest.

They have said my nerve endings in my right hip area are now hyper sensitive and get triggered really easily causing the constant uncomfortable painful feeling that is there.

Hope this helps a bit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.