Nerve pain... any thoughts on Gabapentin ?? Help.

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi everyone! I am25 years old. I have been posting a bunch about my nerve pain so I will briefly explain my sensations: burning, nerve ache especially hands and arms, bug-like internal movements consistently, pins and needles on and off, feels worst when I actually wear clothes I feel my symptoms more than when i’m wearing short sleeve and shorts. The tests that I did: mri, NCT, EMG, EEG , blood test for any type of deficiency, some neurological blood test for some protein ..all came back normal. 

My doctor wants me to try gabapentin and these are the doses ;

Gabapentin 100 mg oral capsule

1 capsule once a daily x3 days

1 capsule two time x 3 days 

1 capsule two times x 1 month ..

My question is are those doses okay? Any thought on gabapentin ? Did anyone ever have bad symptoms? Is this safe?

Please let me know before I decide on starting to take it. I appreciate it xoxo

0 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Don't, please don't start taking Gabapentin....the stuff is pure posion. I've been on it for 4 years n can't kick it. My docs put me on it for the same reasons. However I didn't think to research it or ask questions, wish I had......the side effects are horrible.

There are actual real support groups out there for people like me who are trying to get off Gabapentin.....

All I ask is that u research, research n then research before u start taking it

• Posted

Thank you for the information. Did it help you with your symptoms ? And what kind of side effects did you get?

• Posted

It aided me in falling to sleep.

Worse side effects for me is memory loss, both short n long term. I've lost so many memories.

Another, when I wake up, I feel drugged, and hurt from head to toe.

Here's one most people hasn't heard of n that is it makes me hungry, like non-stop hungry.....makes me want to eat all the time. When I mentioned it to my doc he said he's never heard that being a side effect n sent me to see a nutritionist.

She immediately looked it up n side, wow ur doc is wrong for it is very much one of the bad side effects. Lol, she promptly called my doctor n informed him......

Now it sucks because if I DON'T take them there's NO SLEEPING n I hate that.

• Posted

Try it. It didn't help me. I feel like I've tried everything. My feet are on fire all the time. Sometimes more tolerable than others. I'm not diabetic but I have neuropathy.

• Posted

Put gel ice packs on your feet.

Try using a tennis ball and gently rub your feet on it, it does help a little

• Posted

How hard was it for you to come of of Gaba? I take Lyrica for 5 year now, it does not help with my neuropathic pain was Dx with Idiopathic SFN. sigh!

I read horror stories of people trying to get off of these two meds.

Are you still weaning or are you off it now. What do you take in place of the Gabapentin for your pain?

• Posted

So it sounds like you had the NCS/ EMG testing to DX your Neuropathy? You have neuropathy of your large fibers? Did you have a punch skin biopsy? That is what DX my small fiber Neuropathy. My ENG / NCS were normal. There is no damage to my large fibers only my small fibers,,

• Posted

it's been a few months since I've been on here but I'm still taking the gabapentin and the baclofen. i try not to take it as often as the doctor told me to because I have noticed no difference at all and have been on it for 2 years. The last emg shows that it has gotten a little bit worse in my feet and my legs. I don't know how much longer I can put up with it. You would think the scientists would find a cure for it but they don't seem to be working to hard on it. Their answer to it seems to be antidepressants!

• Posted

if the lyrica is not working, are you only taking it since you cant come off it

• Posted

To be honest I would stay clear of these medications if you can.  When I googled the side effects, i was really put off taking them.  Check the medication leaflet.  I have neuropathy and I manage just fine without taking anything.  Intense sunlight is the only remedy for me.

Some people can tolerate these medications but others can’t. They can be difficult to withdraw from.

• Posted

Pippa how so you manage your pain "just fine" with out any meds? How bad is your neuropathic pain. Mine is small fiber pain , Its gets debilitaing! 😦

• Posted

I have pain, tingling and numbness most of the time but I don't want to add to the problems I've got with toxic medications. I am sensitive to a lot of drugs .I have become very adept at ignoring and tolerating the neuropathy especially because a nurse at my doctor's surgery caused one of the injuries by a botched blood test.I don't feel safe going back to my doctor and I have found out recently that the nurse responsible, whom I thought had been sacked, has been promoted to Practice Nurse.There is no way I could even be in the same room as her because I would be very tempted to upbraid her for what she did.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.