Nerve pain... any thoughts on Gabapentin ?? Help.

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi everyone! I am25 years old. I have been posting a bunch about my nerve pain so I will briefly explain my sensations: burning, nerve ache especially hands and arms, bug-like internal movements consistently, pins and needles on and off, feels worst when I actually wear clothes I feel my symptoms more than when i’m wearing short sleeve and shorts. The tests that I did: mri, NCT, EMG, EEG , blood test for any type of deficiency, some neurological blood test for some protein ..all came back normal. 

My doctor wants me to try gabapentin and these are the doses ;

Gabapentin 100 mg oral capsule

1 capsule once a daily x3 days

1 capsule two time x 3 days 

1 capsule two times x 1 month ..

My question is are those doses okay? Any thought on gabapentin ? Did anyone ever have bad symptoms? Is this safe?

Please let me know before I decide on starting to take it. I appreciate it xoxo

0 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi There,

I have had these sorts of pains for over 7 years now. It's severe burning pains in my hands mostly then feet. It's so painful that I feel I have a temperature. Sometimes it can be felt by others sometimes I just feel normal, but still burning inside. I've been to neurologists. Tried all sorts of medications. It's horrendous and life changing. Medication affects everyone differently, personally gabapentin and pregabilin gave made funny side effects like my balance was affected and if I stood I would sway from side to side not being able to keep still. What works for me where it least controls it some of the time is amitriptyline. I've been on that for years. But if I take anti biotics or I'm stressed they don't work again and I'm incapacitated with these flare ups. This last one has been 7 days. I've started to take sips of morphine but it makes me so.sick.. I've had to give up my job and just wish there was a cure. My only advice is to try the medication they recommend. You will no if its not right for you. I came of those other two very quick

• Posted

I took the gabepitin and it didn't help my pain but it put on 30 pounds ! It has taken me all summer to shed the 30 pounds ! I was stay away from it ! Good Luck !

• Posted

I gained weight since I started taking gabapentin.I want to lose weight,not gain.

• Posted

My husband was put on Gabapentin and then later Pregabalin.  He suffered awful side effects, especially from the Pregabalin - his balance was impaired and he became forgetful and vague.  It took him quite a while to get off it, but the balance problems remains - he always walks with a stick now - and his memory is not so good.  

I suffer from non-diabetic neuropathy and have pain and burning/cramps in my feet and have been offered Gabapentin,  but I refused it.  

I understand that these do work for some people, but not everyone by any means and they are pretty powerful drugs.

Please do your research and think carefully about it.

• Posted

Thank you !! I will do my research before starting anything
    • Posted

It came up as my name as I replied to Nicole00's post. I have tried those medications as I said it was balance and poor coordination. I've been on amitriptyline for years. Keeps the burning lower but it's still not affective against flare ups. I find stress makes the pain worse. Maybe because it's the damaged nerve endings causing it, I don't know

• Posted

If noticed stress makes pain so much worse, I listen to healing meditation music at bed time and it helps with sleep and just feeling better mentally
    • Posted

certain family members make mine instantly worse it seems. The stress.
    • Posted

I know how that feels but I'm lucky enough that now I dont speak to anyone that loves drama and from that point of view my life is bliss haha

• Posted

Hi Nicole, so sorry you are dealing with horrible situation. Are you doctoring with a pain  management group. If not, I hope you will consider it. A nerve conduction test will tell you where your nerve damage is located. Pain management groups can offer other procedures that might help. Check out online some of the procedures they can do. This situation your are in will most likely last a lifetime. You will need to educate yourself about your issues. You can also look up the side effects of all medications on the internet. There are also charts of the human body that show the human spine at each disc and where the nerves go, your neck, your toes, your flanks etc. this info can help you know why you are feeling the pain and why. You are now a warrior who will be fighting everyday for the most healthy and active you that you can be. You need to know what kind of activities you can enjoy and do and the things you should not participate in. You need to get informed so you won’t hurt yourself and have more to deal with. Ask questions,insist on answers etc. YOU, are going to be your best friend to get your situation in hand. I do want you to at least look into pain management groups as I believe they can offer you the most options. Pull on all the support you can, your family, friends etc. I am sending my best wishes and a big hug. 🌹🌹🌹

• Posted

Thank you so much for the kind words! I will look into pain management programs in my city !! And educate my self on this better so I can make myself feel better 

Xoxo💕💕

• Posted

If you are a veteran you go to the VA Hospital and they have meant pain management groups. That is where I go and you can take a friend or go with a friend. They are there to help. They really care.

• Posted

I have had peripheral neuropathy in my feet and rheumatoid arthritis for 3 years. I'm currently on gabapentin and baclofen which doesn't do anything about the nerve pain. I have also been on lyrica, celexa and cymbalta which made things much worse. I have also tried effexor which I only took for a day and had problems breathing and swallowing so I stopped it right away. I am supposed to take the gabapentin, 200mg three times a day but I only take 100mg twice a day. I also have anxiety and he said the gabapentin would help with that which it doesn't sound he gave me carbomazepine to get rid of that but it doesn't work either. I have tried to get either valium or ativan for that but the doctors all say they are to addicting. I took valium 25 years ago and never got addicted.

Anyway I don't think doctors know what they are doing nowadays and healthcare has gone downhill. Doctors used to know what to do it seems like. The doctors get kickbacks from the drug companies for giving out antidepressants.

• Posted

My opinion is, don't take the Gabepitin drugs ! I'm on 2 different supplements now for my neuropathic pain in my feet and toes that I've been suffering from for over 7 years !!

After about 3 weeks of taking these 2 supplements, I'm able to walk 4 to 8 blocks and I haven't been able to do that for a long, long time !

• Posted

Please would you let me know what the 2 supplements that have helped you are.  My feet and toes are getting so much worse, I would like to try them.  Thank you.
    • Posted

I'm so sorry that I haven't got back with you !!

1 bottle is labeled Acetyl L-Carnitine ( 250 mg ) and take (1 ) pill between meals !

the other bottle is labeled ALAmax , I don't know the mg, take ( 1 ) pill ( 3 ) times a day ( 30 ) minutes before meals !

Good Luck, please let me know if these pills help you !

It could take maybe 3 weeks to see any pain relief !

• Posted

Did you get the 2 supplements that I told you about ?

• Posted

I haven't yet, but will certainly look into it.

Are you aware of any interaction between these supplements and other drugs? It is just that I have to take thyroxine every day for underactive thyroid.

Many thanks for letting me know about them.

• Posted

hi, can i ask have you taken gabapentin? im currently tapering and gone down from 600 to 400 in 7 weeks and suffering withdrawal, i have peripheral neuropathy due to failed fusion, chronic SIJD and suspected meralgia paresthetica, i noticed i have bouts of breathing problems and i think its the gabapentin and wandered if there are long term health problems long after tapering from these?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.