Nervous about physio today! Havent been for 3 wks

Posted , 8 users are following.

Im 8 weeks today post op for tkr and i havent been to physio for 3 wks and i go today! Im really nervous as my bend was 77 at last appt! I am doing all i can and trying hard with all the exercises! I do whole routine twice a day but do bending flexion about 5 times! Im still icing a lot to! Fingers crossed i would love my bend to be nearer 90!!! Im trying to walk around house without crutches teaching myself to concentrate on walking with operated leg as best i can! I went out for a couple of hours last nt to my local flowerclub and felt i walked ok with one crutch!

I do feel aprehensive about today as i want to have improved enough! This process of recovery has been harder than i anticipated! Im hoping it will take only the 12 wks i thought to get me back to work and walking unaided! Im 49 and am frustrated! Haha! Thanks guys i know iv waffled on!

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dont stress yourself out over the bend or the lack of it. Concentrate on building your thigh muscles, and straightening as well.  The bend will come.  The more y ou push, specially through pain, the harder it is.  If you relax, you will find things a lot easier to do
  • Posted

Good luck today. I actually enjoyed physio you will do fine they are there to help you don't forget to take pain meds before you go Let us know I how it went.
  • Posted

I started feeling strong around 12 weeks. It was like everything just kicked in and I could go without my cane, climb the stairs normally and manage longer walks. It took 20 physio visits with lots of hard work, a pain pill here or there and plenty of ice. Hang in there, you'll make it. Careful about going back to work too soon though.
  • Posted

Thank you all! Physio actualy was ok! My bend had got better and is now 86 so improving. He said it needs to be better! I see surgeon in 2 wks so hope its 90 then. Iv got a swollen area to the outside of my knee which really hurts and hinders me bending and walking! The physio thinks its where my tendon joins muscle! Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks
    • Posted

So happy for you Debbie.  You sound like me...I get anxious every time I went to PT and when I go to see doc.

sue is right...work on the muscle strength and the bend just happens...or at least that is how it has gone for me....the stronger my thigh and calf muscles get the easier the bend.

• Posted

It could be fluid, if you are worried, see/call the surgeon who did the op.  For you see your doctor he/she will only refer you. Otherwise massage. Can always try one of those mini TENs gizmos, it you put them on the right spot, it might help
    • Posted

Aw thanks glad im not alone at being anxious! I did have a few tears to as when i was waiting to go in there were 2 men waiting and they were both being competitive with eachother comparing notes as to how fantastic they were doing without crutches and driving and doing stairs propaly all at 5 wks post op! And there was me 8 wks! But i got a grip and told myself not to compare etc as did physio! So i wil press on with my strengthening exercises thanks for ur help!
    • Posted

Bet they didn't talk about the pain!!!! The one thing you have to remember; for every one who is suffering, there are twenty who are not!  Very unfair, but someone has to be different, otherwise there would be no need for forums like this. Some people can appear to recover quickly, then they'll do something and they start suffering....

Bet when they got home, they cried like babies ;-)

Never compare yourself to others, it like looking in a mirror in the public loos and thinking "why is the person prettier than me" it just isn't worth it.  Cheer up, with determination you will get to where there is no pain, might be a while, might be a week away, who knows.  Don't allow yourself to get down otherwise you'll never leave the house x

• Posted

Debbie....you are assuming they are ahead of you....they are men....remember Men are from Mars....LOL...they may be 10 weeks or more post op.  I am not driving yet at 8 weeks.  Still on pain meds....I have to take them or I would not exercise...it hurts.  You need to slow the roll girl.  It sounds like to me you are expecting too much of yourself and overdoing on some days.  I attended a wake last weekend...shopped and help make appetizers for the family that night...boy..I made it thru...but I paid the price.  I rested all day Sunday ...only doing stretching exercises...once before bed and after hot bath..I knew I overdid it.  I am good at overdoing and then paying the price. That was number 3.  I am 54 and was very independent and very active prior to surgery.  I get it really.  Listen to your body.

• Posted

Debbie I am out almost 11 weeks out.  Everytime I found a place that hurt on the knee it turned out to be scar tissue.  they tell you to massae with oil (I use Vitiamin E) and it does help. 
    • Posted

Thanks i do massage knee but not with vitamin e oil i wil get some. Thanks
  • Posted

Debbie

I am nine weeks post op with unbelievable swelling Physio wants me to take Voltaran but anti inflam play up with me

Am waiting to discuss with surgeon at 12 week consult

Meantime I have 120 bend and full straight leg , have been told to stop the walking exercise and do bike but continue with the non weight bearing physio

Swelling us extremely painful and I hope this is ok ?

• Posted

You have done well to get 120 bend and straight leg especially with a lot of swelling! Well done! I take naproxen morn and nt which are anti inflammatorys! My surgeon appt is in 2 wks so wil see what he says but i did wonder if its fluid it feels like it! Keep me posted as to how your getting on as we are at about same stage! Thanks
    • Posted

When you say upset you, do you mean it affects your stomach?  

Instead of icing, try heat.

when you use the bike, put the saddle as high as you can, so that you are touching the peddles with your toes, and the gears on the lightest setting, push down with your good foot, so that your bad side just coasts round, if you can't get your bad leg round a whole revolution,  pedal backwards and forwards for a while. Gradually you will be able to go all the way round.  Keep on the light gears for a while but at the next session lower the seat one notch, if that is too painful, put t he seat back up and use a harder gear. The idea is to get your leg supple, so find a position that suits you and work on it.  The physio can't say no as you are doing t he exercises, just in a different way.

if I am at the gym, I will always float in the pool for a while, go to the steam room, then back in the pool for light exercise.  If I'm just exercising, then I'll always use a heat pad after.  It works for me.  As they say, each to their own 

• Posted

Tku

I live in country Aust with no pool facility

Will try the heat pad after the bike

Am trying to cut down on my Endone today and doing well, fed up with bring so tired from strong meds !

L

• Posted

How about a bath, when you sitting in it, continue filling it up to the top with water as hot as you can comfortably stand and just let your bad leg float, once it starts doing that,straighten bend for a little while then just relax.  When you get out you may find it a little bearable.  There are plenty of meds your doc can prescribe you, that don't make you drowsy, they'll most prob be an opiate. But the point is you need the pain to stop, be brutal with  your doctor.  They prescribe a generic painkiller and think it is fine.  All well and good, but there are some people who are in agony. There pills for that, unless you tell them, they'll never know and just keep doling out the same old same old, and all the while your quality of life is going down the toilet. If you can't get to your doctor because the weekend,speak with your pharmacist, tell them what you are on and just ask what you can take with them, they may give you paracetamol.  Read both labels. And use heat
    • Posted

There are strong meds that you can take that won't have as much a drowsy effect on  you.  But you have to ask. Money you know how much pain tou are in, also are you sleeping ok, as that helps, if you are
    • Posted

Lorraine,

sue he is so right.....make the bike work for you.  It took me 2 weeks to get to be able to pedal around...the bike at PT the pedals go up and down....but I borrowed a stationary bike I have at me home now.  I worked it the waysue is explaining to you....finally I can pedal around.  I have days when I get on the bike here and it just hurts too much...so I do not ride.  I just go ahead with my exercises and try again the next day.  You and I are right there together...my surgery was February 11.  I understand the frustration.  Chin up...you are doing good.😍

• Posted

Just read a thread of mine. It should say ONLY, not money, heck I think predictive text should go back to school.  Keep smiling x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.