Nervous about vulvar biopsy. What kind of anesthetics are usually available?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I know that a lidocaine injection will be used, but that's actually what I'm the most anxious about. I've had several lidocaine injections for different procedures, and in my experience the pain level varies greatly depending on the injection site. Painless when in arm, very painful in toe. Therefore, I imagine it will be very, very painful in the labia minora. So I'm very worried about this appointment, Should I take vicodin? I also plan on using a topical numbing cream prior to going in. Seriously dreading this so much.

2 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, Chelsea, I did find having the Injection very painful but it doesn't last long and it works quickly. Sorry I can't suggest alternatives perhaps you could get a prescription for relaxing drug to take beforehand.

Good luck try not to worry.

• Posted

Ask for a IV sedative beforehand.  Also  a cold spray can numb the area and lidocaine .
  • Posted

I’m having the same procedure this morning.  I’m afraid of the procedure and also what it will find. Dr has been treating me for LS for about 2 years. Last visit she saw a little red bump that was a little bigger. I’ve been a basket case ! I’ll post when I get home how it goes. Prayers appreciated!
  • Posted

Not painful for me. Just a little pinch then it's gone. Stay focused on being greatful for the biopsy option.

• Posted

HI Ellen, can you or anyone here explain why you get biopsy's, please? I mean since you all already know you have LS and are doing whatever you are doing to help, what are the doctors learning that they didn't already know from pure visual confirmation?   

Thanks, I ask this sincerely; I haven't used clob; I"m using nutrition which my Integrative Cardiologist who seems to understand the nutritional aspects better than the gynecologist he sent me to for visual confirmation entirely approves of. 

• Posted

Oh hey, you need the biopsy to confirm. There are symptoms.that mimic other problems down there. They do of course look for cancer in the tissue but it won't be there. So there is relief in that. My Dr. Punched area that showed white and healthy tissue all in one biopsy. She told me at the time that they usually come back inconclusive and at that point would send me to a gyny oncologist but it still would need to be cancer. But mine came back Crystal clear LS so we are treating it. I noticed it and brought to her attention during my annual and she said come back in 2 months and it spread so we didn't biopsy. I am in he States with top tier health coverage.

• Posted

Hi Ellen, I have an appointment to see gynaecologist in August, not sure if I will have punch biopsy then or just consultation, either way I am terrified to be honest. The white skin on my clitoris seems to be clearing but now I am left with a tiny strip of White....feels as if I could almost try to pick it off, sorry if this is too much information.....but I wouldn't dare!

Did you have these symptoms, I just wanted to know just how common they are.

I hate this lichen sclerosis thing.

Kind regards

Barbara x

• Posted

Hey there. Yes I had the symtoms you describe. Don't pick at it! Listen, I hope you do get the Biopsy. It will clarify if it is LS and that is a great relief. Seriously on a scale of 1-10 of pain it's a 3 for the numbing injection. Then 100% painless. Here is what I would do if I were you untill August. Cotton Panties during day and nude at night. Feels good!sits bath in the am before shower with some anti bacterial soap in it. I use Cetaphil once Dry ( I use a blow dryer not to close ) massage in some olive oil from top to bottom. Do this after every tinkle as well if possible. You should stay comfy and non irritated till August. Hope this helps.

Ellen

• Posted

Hi Ellen, many thanks for your reassuring words, means a lot to me. I will try not to worry....but can't promise!!!!. If I do have a biopsy will it be straight into clitoris because to be honest this makes me sick to the stomach.

I feel like asking the gynaecologist if he could possibly just leave things alone and let me live in peace but I know what the reply will be!!

Kind regards

Barbara x

• Posted

Barbara, I had the biopsy last Thursday.  It wasn’t as bad as I thought. Lasted just a second. Now I am waiting for the results. I’m a nervous wreck. Dr mentioned to me she had been watching a red bump and it had gotten a little bigger. She mentioned a skin cancer! I’m a wreck!    
    • Posted

Hi Martha, my heart goes out to you, doctor should not have mentioned this to you.... honestly, I am obsessed with this lichen thing to the point where I find myself looking at folks in the street when I am out and about and wonder if anyone there has it. This website has been a godsend for me, felt so alone at times and felt as if I was the only person who has this. I hate it with a passion.

Kind regards Barbara x

• Posted

I feel the same way.  Since I had the biopsy I’ve noticed a trrrible odor. Wonder if anyone else has this. Embarrassing to even mention,,
    • Posted

God no! Not on the Clitoris...on the fleshy vulva.. seriously, and I'm not trying to make you feel better, it's nothing. Promise on my own health!

Feel fortunate your Dr. Is trying to get you an accurate diagnosis...I'm 2 months in and am 80%back to normal. I'm 54. My treatment goes 2 more months. I see her Wed.

Ellyn

• Posted

Hi Ellen......phew!! Regarding the injection.... what a relief. I know I should be grateful about the fact that my doctor is trying to help me, it's just the embarrassment of the whole thing. Can't be worse than having babies I suppose, and I have had 2.....quite a while ago, but still.

It's great to hear that your treatment is coming to an end, I hope you don't mind me asking though, what does the treatment consist of.

Kind regards once again x

• Posted

Clobetasol morn and night for the first month so twice a day. Go light with it. A little goes a long way..it's easy to think more will work harder but it does not. Check up after first month. Then once a day for a month. I have my check up tomorrow. I can't remember what the next month is.

I'll post after apt. Since your skin changes down there with the steroid cream I happened to develop folliculitis.. basically ingrown hairs. She gave me antibiotic ointment for that so I don't get infection..it cleared up in 3 days.. all good so far.

• Posted

Hi Ellen, thanks for this info, won't bother you anymore with all of my questions...but good luck for your next appointment and I hope all goes well for you. Many many thanks for all of your kind words, been a great help and sense of comfort to me. Xx.

P.S. I will let you know how I get on with my appointment in August, can't come soon enough x

• Posted

Ellen, you were Wright! Got biopsy report back today!! No sign of cancer! Dr said just to continue with clob. Thanks for all the “hand holding” you did!
    • Posted

Your welcome. Cancer is very rare at diagnosis of LS. I bet you feel totally relieved. Remember don't over do the Clobe. A little goes a long way! Keep is posted on your treatment and success!

• Posted

Hi ellen, I  don't believe everyone needs to have a biopsy.  It is like asking someone with measles to have a biopsy to confirm it's measles..it justdoesn'tt make sense to me. 

Lichen Sclerous presents itself with white plaques of skin, often in the shape of a butterfly, that, in conjunction with the numerous list of symptoms should be enough for any competent doctor that knows their stuff to give a diagnosis. I had a visual diagnosis as do many other women. 

Whether you have a biopsy or not depends on the competace of your doctor.  More often than not they are clueless with regard to LS and the word 'cancer' is often bandied around, and then a biopsy is ordered.   They do this because it makes them feel like they are being proactive, when in fact they are causing more stress to an already very stressed area of the body...it is called the Koebner phenomenon.

The only cases in my view that should warrant a biopsy are when sores/lesions have not healed, or when there are no white plaques of skin, which is the classic sign of Lichen Sclerosus.

• Posted

Well said and totally appreciated. All of us follow our own course of action. So many Dr's are just not competent in the LS wheelhouse. This forum is so necessary and it's great forum to select content and info to be able to advocate for ourselves. For me, I wanted the biopsy and am able to share my experience. I am 2.5 mounths into my Dr's customized treatment and advice. I don't even remember the horror of the day I found it I have faired so we'll. Days now go by without a think of it until it it's medicine time. Feel blessed and want to share encouragement. Sexually active again with no after down time as well. Find the right Dr. Is the best advice.

• Posted

wish I could give your comment 5 heart stars Guppy!  That which is self EVIDENT... We really do need to educate ourselves to be empowered.  When I knew something was a little Off down there I used keywords in google and had a whole page of websites with the same name come up. I only got seen by the gynecologist for insurance reasons, but she knows nothing about anything beyond steroid and was rather short useless. But my cardiologist turned integrative MD just needed that in his records to help in other ways.  
    • Posted

Hi ellen, Yep, finding the right doctor is crucial.  I am not sexually active anymore due to LS, but I am 56 and so I can live with that. However, I am not sure I would be that complacent if I was much younger, and so I truly admire the younger ladies because I believe it's much tougher for them.

• Posted

Hi Nancy, thanks, I guess my main beef is the laziness, the incompetence of the doctors that won't even spend 5 minutes to google the obvious systems that they are presented with.

• Posted

Started to reply and it disappeared? Oh well, let's try again! 

I’m 47 and up until March had a healthy sex life. ( 1 partner , together since 16, dated 6 years, married 25 years). Noticed decrease in clitoral stimulation- thought it was due to weight gain. Then stabbing, breath taking pain in clitoris during oral sex( sorry so descriptive) and had to make him stop ladt 3 times. Irritated for 1-2 weeks after ( thought it was dryness due to age?? Still get period every 28 days). 

Tested for STD’s- all negative, finally had 6 biopsies ( perenium, labia major and minor, introitus, up near clit, etc.), came back LS. 

We are only 47 and 51, I don’t want our sex life to be over. Ladt two months I could barely stand to “ blot” genitals with tp, apply cold washcloth to calm and tey to deal. Now I hv my homeopathic creams, itchy is gone, pain is gone, lesions are healing, a little inflammation left, adjusted diet, taking vitamins, wearing corton- but when do I know if I can tey sex again? Husband not coming to summer house until July 3, so I’m just treating and de- stressing and praying. But what if it all comes babk as soon as we do? Thoughts??? 

• Posted

I'm turning 55 in September! We are still young! I wanna use it so I don't lose it! #sexgoals

• Posted

Lube up 3 days before with evoo

First time we got back at it no pain and hubby commented how full it felt! Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks Ellen! No dryness at Vagina, just worried about fusing down there and pain in clitoris
    • Posted

Maybe have a "practice" with "something" so you will know what's gonna happen?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.