Nervous about vulvar biopsy. What kind of anesthetics are usually available?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I know that a lidocaine injection will be used, but that's actually what I'm the most anxious about. I've had several lidocaine injections for different procedures, and in my experience the pain level varies greatly depending on the injection site. Painless when in arm, very painful in toe. Therefore, I imagine it will be very, very painful in the labia minora. So I'm very worried about this appointment, Should I take vicodin? I also plan on using a topical numbing cream prior to going in. Seriously dreading this so much.

2 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi - like Nancy , wondering if this is a completely necessary procedure. My fear is that one biopsy inconclusive leads to another and another . Couldn't this then increase likelihood of cancer with  so much scarring? 

• Posted

Totally necessary and not a big deal. I hope to get another after my course of action and look forward to it!
  • Posted

Had you biopsy yesterday. I was so glad to get it over with. Now I’ll be nervous about results. Dr seems to think the diagnosis of LS is correct. They biopsy was over quick and not too bad. I drove home. This disease is a nightmare! Going on a short trip at the end of next week. Would be awful if I get bad news while on my trip.
    • Posted

It will be fine. There is no way it is cancerous. Please enjoy your trip and use the olive oil until you are diagnosed and get on your Dr.'s precribed course of treatment.

Thanks for sharing how the Biopsy is completely tollerable. In think it is so frightening for so many.

• Posted

Ellen, the dr mentioned that mine could be a skin cancer . Don’t know how to spell it but it’s not basil cell or melanoma but the other one that starts with an “S” . So concerned. Sorry to keep worrying you with this.
    • Posted

Why is it black or bleeding? So my Dr. Told.me.if my biopsy came back as cancerous 100% curable. Very irresponsible for a Dr. to mention positive cancer with no biopsy. Keep me posted.
    • Posted

Squamous cell carcinoma. That is what I'm being checked for. Was supposed to have the biopsy in 2014, but was diagnosed with cancer of the thyroid the day before, very aggressive, so it was put on back burner until 16 days ago!! Was already diagnosed with LS. So, now I have the melding, skin discoloration, and lesions. The lesion they removed was the largest, had 3 stitches, and it was causing a reduced stream of urine. Will get results tomorrow of the biopsy. I have more lesions they are going to watch.

• Posted

I had 6 biopsy sites done on 6/6, results came back 6/11 positive for LS, negative for cancer. Biopsy is a little uncomfortable when they insert the needle ( little pin prick and  “warm rush” as they inject the  lidocaine. ), then you feel nothing during the “ punches”. She covered them with silver nitrate adterward and they stayed numb for several hours. I was able to go to work afterward for about 3-1/2 hrs. Until numbness wore off, then I was home crying with an ice back between my legs and 1000 mg of Motrin. Pain was better the next day, and I went to work all day, all was good except for peeing! Drink lots of water to dilute your urine ( more yellow, more acidic, more burning), and gently “ blot” after peeing, don’t wipe! I was in a Restaurant bathroom two days later and the tp stuck to the silver nitrate and ripped it right off one of the biopsy sites- OUCH!! Tried not yo scream in the bathroom. This is very unusual for me as I normally have a high threshhold of pain-3 kids, no drugs! 

Get the biopsy for your peace of mind and know it feels better within a few days. 

• Posted

Had my biopsy 16 days ago. Getting results tomorrow. It wasn't pleasant by any means, but it healed fairly quickly. Better to get it done than wait. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for letting everyone know that the biopsy is not so bad as it is an important step!
    • Posted

Definitely. My biopsy results just came back abnormal, atypical. I go back to Cancer Care in July instead of October. It's extremely important to me, as I am also 13 months cancer free from Non Hodgkins Lymphoma of the thyroid, which could have been a long term effect of radiation to my brain in 2005 for an inoperable brain tumor. We ladies need to keep on top of symptoms!!

• Posted

Ruth- so sorry to hear about the results. My Dr was very clear is saying that atypical does not  mean cancer, it just means it has a greater possibility of becoming cancerous. Hang in there and know we are all behind you with prayers! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Posted

Ruth dear, have you read that Vitamin D has been curing cancer?  Have you had a chance to read my pages that I researched and posted online here about which supplements to take along with Vitamin D that are proven to help LS and other autoimmune diseases? How about giving it all a really good test for this next month... and let us know how surprised your cancercare docs will be when you visit next? good luck /blessings, oh... click on my name to scroll down to the articles on the right side...
    • Posted

I do take Vit D 3 on a daily basis. Also take Levothyroxine for hypothyroid and Hashimotos.
    • Posted

Thank you. I tend to worry since I am only 13 months with no sign of Lymphoma. Take care!
    • Posted

HI Ruth, great - but how MUCH D3 are you taking? From what I've read it takes about 5,000 IU to 15,000 a day to cure cancer etc. We hve to gt our D status up to somewhere between 60-90 ng/dl to be doing hte job for us.   

oh, yes, and I was taking levothyroxin for a year too... but I let it run out when I realized that all the nutritional supplements I researched and have been taking for this LS was doing the same job.. at least by symptoms.. .no more falling asleep or fuzzy headed int he afternoon (with my Integrative M'D.s approval of course). 

My point is to give you encouragement that you have a way to get that small cancer percentage down to even lower. Hope this helps.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.