Nervous but I know the truth

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Im 53 female and have been a heavy smoker..I have never had it formally confirmed that i have COPD. A doctor 5 yrs ago sent me for an Xray but I never went back for the results.

I have all the symptons and some days are great and I am fully of energy. Other days I get up at 8am and my lungs come alive at 11am. I have a cough etc. I have noticed my breathing is getting worse and of i get out of breath. I went on Holiday and I bought a blue inhaler and I bought one from Boots Chemist in the UK. No still not seen a doctor. The cigs have to go and I am not really smoking them I light them and put them out.. i know waste of money. Okay support needed. How well can i get again quitting smoking and exercise daily. I am normally healthy and I can walk steep hills. I only use the inhaler recently but have 4 in stock. Doctors...I really dont want to go for a lecture etc. Any support advice welcome

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hiya, I'm 32 and I've got diagnosed copd, get to the doctors and have a breathing test, they'll point you to the right treatment, and if you can, try to stop smoking ASAP, it'll slow down the progression :-)
  • Posted

Hi Thanks for your reply. sorry to hear you have this condition so young. I was hoping if I stopped smoking and did my own self help it would be better. Now I have it...I think thats it...all they can do is help me manage it and unless I give up smoking and help myself ...there isnt much they can do...I know I am in a piccle and everybody is probably screaming see a doctor. The breathing test would be bad if i did it today as i have the flu...

If i stop smoking does COPD stop at this stage and not get worse or will it get worse naturally with age etc.

Any help and guidance is great many thanks

• Posted

Hi there I know exactly how you feel can I just ask how long you have had symtoms for?
  • Posted

I believe if you stop early enough it will stop the progression but it's never to late to give up smoking
  • Posted

they come and go....but if i was being truthful the xray I had done was 2009.. But I have noticed the last year its hitting me...especially if I go in AIR CONDITION and then I bought a flu less fire..that made me very ill...that went on the dump....mine seems to hit me with the weather air con and flying and tring to walk up steps.

A girl I met on holiday told me to buy a blue ventalator..I was in Turkey so I got a couple sometimes I dont use it then like this week I have had a couple of puffs on it...Im not sure I am using it properly but It does help.

• Posted

The nurse told me it won't get any worse if you stop smoking, if you do a lot of googling, you'll find many sites telling you stopping smoking only slows down the progression, but with you being in your 50's, if you stop smoking now and get the right treatment now, there's no reason why you can't live for many years yet, the best treatment is stopping smoking, additional treatment will be prescribed by the experts :-)
  • Posted

if i get rid of the cigs I am sure i will feel so much better...I think the smoking has given me up and not the other way round...my friends have noticed I have cut back,,,,but thats not giving it up. I can still swim its sometimes I seem to have bad weeks
  • Posted

I have these conversations with myself in my head....telling me how bad smoking is....i will go for it...cos I dont really have a choice
  • Posted

Allen carrs 'easy way to stop smoking' is the best way I think, his book is brilliant, also type his name into YouTube, some interesting videos :-) but the book is amazing, he also wants you to smoke til you've finished the book, all good book stores should have it, whsmith etc!
  • Posted

Search for allen Carr on YouTube, great 5 minute video on there, also go and buy his book 'the easyway to stop smoking'
  • Posted

I gave up the fags 7 months ago and was one of te hardest things I had to do but I got there in the end.

Only damper on it is that my symtoms have not got any Better they sort of come and go.maybe it's me lungs clearing up?! Who knows?

One I know is giving up the fags Is the single most important you can do :-)

• Posted

Thanks for the tip.....i dont understand why I am not wheezing and my cough is dry...like I say this is the first day that I have been honest and admitted it to two close friends...that I am in trouble and I need to truthful

You say that giving up smoking helps to live a little longer....but you seem so young cant your lungs clear themselves a bit,,,,

• Posted

I heard about that book warren think I might just har a read anyways
  • Posted

I think it's because the copd doesn't get any better Gary but stopping smoking certainly slows down progression
  • Posted

well done 7mnths at least your not making them worse....whe you say it comes and goes do you mean you have good days or weeks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.