Nervous second tkr tomorrow!

Posted , 15 users are following.

Well here it is midnight I can't sleep have to be up in five hours second tkr tomorrow

I am seven weeks from the right knee seems to be going ok up and downs I just hope the second op goes as well as the first

This forum has been so much helpful in answering my questions and calming my fears

Hope everyone out there is moving along in a positive way

Good luck to me and all those future tkr's

3 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you to all for your support!

I am alive and hurting!

All I can say is if my first tkr went like this my second one would have been years away!

Omg the pain and discomfort I am in and it is only the first day

They say each knee is different and they are right!

I can't even move this one and have a drain from it ( which I didn't with the first one) and have an epidural in my back for pain!

Not fun am I a wimp!!!??? This is nothing compared to some of the experiences I have read on this forum

Tomorrow the physicial therapist is coming in to get me up from the bed. ( is he nuts?). He tried today and I said no way

I am planning to push this pain button a couple of times ( I swear I think it is here just to make u think u r getting meds)

Good luck to all and talk to u later!😥

• Posted

You poor thing. You should have no pain with the epidural, so something is wrong.  Sometimes tthe catheter into the epidural space moves.  You should be assessed & if this is the case they need to start using some other kind of pain relief. ASAP.  You should not been suffering.

Keep us informed.

• Posted

Diana I remember it well (I'm 15 weeks post, 36 years old). I have broken so many bones over the years but nothing came close to the pain after this TKR. I had some complications and did need a second surgery but I did find that once I got moving it helped with the fluid retention. Just do what you can though, you know what your body can manage. I found it helped to remember that you get to go home once you start to move....it will encourage you to give that extra push (but if you still can't then you need to make sure you tell them, your surgeon should do his rounds to check on you this morning, if you're struggling say something, you should be getting relief from the medication).
    • Posted

OMG I remember it so well, 11 weeks post op, I called the physios torturers, they left me alone the first day as I was being sick, although I had a spinal epidural, which took 4 attempts !! They hauled me out of the the next day then the hard work began, I hated it and them but it was for my own good, I was in for 12 days instead of 4 things are improving now albeit slowly, but hang in there, it does get better, honest, I'm 75 .x
  • Posted

Oh poor you. I can only speak from my experience but I wasn't in pain after my TKR. Discomfort yes, a lead weight yes but not pain. Do keep telling the nurses how bad it is. You shouldn't have to suffer this. Keep us informed. 
  • Posted

Hi Diana,  I have had two tkr's in the last 10 weeks and the first 6 days were the LEAST painful. I don't think you should be having much pain at this stage, what with all the stuff they pump into you during the op.  Tell the nurses and make a fuss.  Don't be a martyre yell if you must.  Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.