nervous wreck Cortizone injection tomorrow

Posted , 22 users are following.

So nervous about getting my first Cortizone injection in the knee tomorrow !

I've watched some YouTube videos what a scary thought feeling my anxiety rise the closer it gets! Will this be painful ?? I'm so scared of needles and to think it going to the bone is blowing my mind and no numbing my luck... Any encouragement would be great

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Debra,

Before my knee replacement, I had multiple cortisone injections. I'm not sure if the Physician Assistant numbed it before, but it I hardly felt it! It was over before I knew it....don't sweat it, and I hope it helps relieve pain. Good luck,

Diane

• Posted

Don't be afraid, theyou should spray a numbing spray at the site of the needle, this feelshould very cold, the shot will be over before you even realize that is has happened. I had several shots in the knee.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Debra, I'm terrified of needles too. I had both the cortisone injections and gel injections, they really aren't bad. Don't stress yourself like I did. They don't go to the bone . It's just like getting a shot. Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi Debra,  through the years I have had a ton of these.   It can be a little painful but the effects after are amazing.  Here's the key, don't watch them do it.  Turn your head the other way and think of something pleasant or a anice memory.  It will be over before you know it and tomorrow you will be happy you got it.  Hang in there, would be currious to see how you did.  Promise you. wont be as bad as you think. 

• Posted

Thanks CC I def want be looking ! I don't know why u get so worked up but I'm terrified of shot needles if they didn't show them maybe wouldn't be so bad

• Posted

If I would have known how brutal a tkr was I would have had the shots instead. Hold on and get the shot
    • Posted

Corisone shots aren't a replacement for a TKR, just a short term pause. I didn't find them particularly helpful tbh.

• Posted

Hey Deb...like everyone else I've had many cortisone shots and really they are no big deal. I hope you find some relief from the shot. A lot of times its a temporary relief for a bigger problem. Good luck and don't worry too much it will only take a few seconds.

• Posted

Hi there, I had two of them done few years ago & being honest with you you will feel a slight needle prick when the needle goes in but they do use a numbing solution on knee first. I been wanting to get one on my knee rcently but th ortho doc doesn't suggest it being I am dealing with crps that could trigger more problems on top of what I am already going through.. you will be ok just put some ear buds in yout ears connected to your phone listening to some music to relax & take your mind off it that's what I would do if I was to get it done..God bless

• Posted

Hi Debra!

Tell Doc you want to LAY DOWN on the table. You can put your knees bent on the step, and Doc can position you easily for the shot.

There is initial pain when the injection happens. It is quick, and the numb feeling kicks in fast.

You can bite down on a glove or the sleeve of your coat. I wish I had thought of that when I hsd MY Cortisone shot!

Oh, take some deep breaths and blow out the air after each one. This helps, too.

It will be OK.

The shot may give you nice relief that you will appreciate.

Cortisone shots seem to work really well for some people and not well for long for others. You won't know until you try.

Sending courage, strength, and CALM to you for tomorrow!💟

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl your sweet I appreciate all the words and encouragement! I really need it today!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.