nervous wreck Cortizone injection tomorrow

Posted , 22 users are following.

So nervous about getting my first Cortizone injection in the knee tomorrow !

I've watched some YouTube videos what a scary thought feeling my anxiety rise the closer it gets! Will this be painful ?? I'm so scared of needles and to think it going to the bone is blowing my mind and no numbing my luck... Any encouragement would be great

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi please try not to be so anxious I had the injections for quite sometime although it isn't pleasant it wasn't really painful either it's over and done with before you know it and it worked well for me for 2 years, so go with an open mind, hope all goes well

Jan

• Posted

Don't worry. It's not painful at all. I have a fear of needles even getting a blood test done. I've had 3 in my knee before I had tkr and 3 in my shoulder. 

Nothing to worry about just tell dr how nervous you are. Just look away and talk about anything else. Promise you will wonder why you were so anxious about. Good luck hope it goes well!! 

• Posted

First, never WATCH YouTube videos...ever!!!

Second, it's a quick, simple shot with a very thin needle that takes a few seconds.  Think kind of like a flu shot.  This is nothing to worry about.

Finally, never WATCH YouTube videos...ever!!!

• Posted

I've had 4 cortisone shots in my knee before I had total knee replacement done 3 weeks ago. It certainly isn't a fun experience, but if you have a great Ortho doctor like I did, it was very tolerable. They'll spray the area first with a spray that's just cold, freezing cold! That pretty much numbs the area so you hardly feel the prick of the needle at all. The cortisone burns a little going in but it's over and done with before you know it. When it's done, it's really done! No lingering pain at all. I promise you, it's not worth getting yourself worked up. I worry about everything, and if I'm telling you it's not that horrible, it really isn't. I just had my second shot in my shoulder last week. I don't even cringe anymore when they say they're going to give me one. Let us know how it goes.

Sue

• Posted

Hi, is it advisable to get a cortozone shot in the knee if a person is dealing with CRPS? I heard it said that even needles can set things off far worse for a person who has this issue going on, what is your thoughts on this?
    • Posted

Oh thank you Sue you were so right and feeling much relief today!so glad I went through with it !
    • Posted

I'm so glad you're getting some relief now and that you're glad you had it done. Now if you ever have to have it done again, you won't get yourself so worked up and stressed out. Never fails, we always hear from one person that will inevitably say "Oh my God, I had one of those once and they're so painful"! Sometimes that's all it takes to put the fear of God in you. I'm glad we were able to tell you honestly that they hurt but that it's not horrible and it's over with as fast as it starts.i had one in my shoulder a week ago because of severe tendinitis and it hasn't helped at all. I'm happy that yours did. Best of luck to you!

• Posted

I don't know what CRPS is so I wouldn't be able to answer your last question. I think that's something you should discuss with your regular doctor before you get the shot. I wish you the best. It's really not bad so just try to relax.

• Posted

Debra,

I have been reading the posts from your knee injection. 

Im extremely nervous about getting one tomorrow. Did they also withdraw fluid from your knee?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.