Neuro HF 10 Stimulator

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone had the Neuro 10 implanted ?.  It's really difficult to try and figure out because there are so many different types of stimulators. I had fusions that were not successful and the Neurosrgeon at Mayo thought this might be the answer. It is fairly new on the market (2015) so it's difficult finding any reviews.  Any info you could provide would really be appreciated. Thank you. Marie

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Marie,

My husband had the Nevro Stimulator put in Novemeber 2015. He had to have the battery moved two months later due to pocket pain at the site. He is still suffering from lower back pain (degenerative disc L5 and L6). He has an appointment with the a chiropractor today to see if they can help with the pain. He is still on pain meds and had an injection last week in his back - still no relief. This device has cost us lots of money out of pocket sad My husband said he would have not done it if he knew how it would turn out. The spine doctor he sees says my husband is unique. That his other patients are happy with its results.

• Posted

​ Thanks so much for your input, Lisa.  it's  really difficult to get any reviews on the Neuro HF.   I had back surgery (fusions) 2 1/2 years ago and it was a failure.  I have had several injections; same results.  Im in more pain now then I was before surgery.  The Dr wants to do additional surgery.  Im not crazy.  I'm  still on pain pills and they aren't doing a great deal and I m afraid to up them. 

Is your husband on Medicare and, if so, did they cover any of the cost? Secondary insurance?

Please keep me posted on how your Husband is doing. 

Good  luck to you both

Marie

• Posted

My husband is covered by private insurance. We had to pay $3000 deductible and 10% of all covered expenses. It cost us about $12,000 out of pocket so far.
    • Posted

hi this is steve im just wondering y did ur back surgery fail for?
    • Posted

Not sure why it failed.  It was only the first (&only) back surgery I've had. The Neurosurgeon at Mayo told me no more surgeries and no more injections. I'm going to have the Neuro HF implanted. It's pretty noninvasive.  What is your story, Steve?
  • Posted

Hi Marie,

I'm in the same predicament as you are with a failed back fusion after 8 laser surgeries. Have had other surgeries as well so I'm very concerned about scar tissue. I don't even know how they'll get the leads in or be able to place them where they need to be with all of the scar tissue, adhesions and metal in there. The big battery seems to be a big problem for most on this forum. I can't believe they can't make it smaller with the technology today.Let's hope more people reply with positive results.

• Posted

The leads are feed up your back through a small incision a socket is put in place at the bottom which the joins another lead which leads to the battery , this can be place in your buttock like mine or even in your tummy as for the size it seems no problem if your really interested as to talk to someone at the hospital who's had the operation local to you they will show I would thick there location and what it's like
    • Posted

Thanks Colin. I had asked if I could speak with anyone at my pain Dr who's had this, and they would only give me the reps number. When I meet with my pain Dr tomorrow I'm going to ask him to show me the thing, and where everything will be located. There's new federal guidelines here on prescribing opioids, so there's a lot of pressure on the dr's to wean their patients off of them through any means possible. So they're throwing this at everyone to try. For some it works fabulously, but for others, not so great. I'm going to ask him for more detailed information about all the patient experiences, good and bad, and how many they've done so far.
    • Posted

Colin, did you have to have a psychi exam before you had the implant?  Mayo clinic requires it and I'm having difficulty getting a reason. Their answer is "it's required".    It just seems like an unnecessary delay.  Where their any additional tests required?  Any info you have would really appreciate. Thx! Marie
  • Posted

Hi i had a nevro hf 10 implant in august 2010 as part of the uk trials this was done by Doctor Al Kaisay at guys and st thomas hospital london uk there is a ref on the nevro site under internationa , english about this study .my thoughts are this its worked for me , i have a revitalised life .things are good and am worki, driving a manual convertible mini ,some diavantages are the bloody size of remote its like an old fashioned mobile phone ,also you have to charge daily , can be abit of a pain if camping , or on holida, but most of all after being implanted you can no longer hav an mri scan

Some things to consider.

hope this helps.

• Posted

I was told that MRIs are allowed. Have you heard that with the newer models you can now have an MRI?  It sounds like you are doing great; hope I do too. Good luck. 

Marie

• Posted

The newer ones are MRI comparable. Do you mind if I ask if you had other surgeries previously? I've had a bunch.I think all my scar tissue will cause problems if I try it.
    • Posted

I've only had one. They did fusions on my right side, L5-S1 so I'm optimistic that I don't have much scar tissue.  I do have, what a tech described, a "hardware store" in my back.  Have you had the test yet?  Scheduled for the surgery?  I'm a little confused why they want me to go to talk to a psychologist/psychiatrist sine there will be a foreign object implanted. I have had 2 knee replacements, a plate in the top of my left foot (all due to Artherits ) and, of course, my back. I've never had to see a psychologist before the surgeries. They tell me that's standard at Mayo tho. I'll stand on my head and walk across the parking lot tho if that would help.   Keep me posted how you do. Good luck!  Marie
    • Posted

I read reports on the study trial and they insisted that the participants go through psychological testing as well to rule out certain conditions that wouldn't make you a good candidate. Perhaps that's what Mayo is doing as well. I'll try to go back and find the participant criteria and post it for you.
    • Posted

I don't think I will have a good outcome from the surgery. There's so much scar tissue around the area they'd most probably put the leads from all my previous back surgeries that when the last surgeon went in to do my fusion I woke up with a foot that didn't work anymore. The nerves are all wrapped up in it now and the dr had difficulty finding a way around it. I also had abdominal surgeries, so that scar tissue joined the party. I wouldn't want anything implanted there or my buttocks with the neuro fascial pain I have in those areas as well as my lower back as a result.
    • Posted

You have really been through it, Kathy. I can see why you would be hesitant to have any additional surgery. Drs are so quick to suggest surgery. I did my homework (I thought) on the dr who did my back surgery. I had pain soon after.  His PA, when I went in for a follow up, said I wasn't progressing the way I should.  Now, the very same PA, says there is a hole back there & she knew the dr wouldn't have left it. In other words it's appeared since the surgery. Don't think so. He now wants to do additional surgery.  That's when I went to mayo. The Neurosrgeon I saw there said no more surgery and no more injections, which is music to my ears.  I'm just hoping this implant will help, at least, alleviate some of the pain.   Marie
    • Posted

OMG! He left a hole in your back?!. After my 7th laser surgery I was in terrible pain while still in the recovery room. The dr walkd through and saw me.....so he worked on another patient and then wheeled me back in to see what was going on. I had no disc anymore and he had put a cadaver bone in to keep L4 from collapsing on L5, and it was too close to a nerve. I was still in terrible pain after this surgery in the recovery room. He came in and told me to walk over to him, and then walk backwards. That was almost impossible from the pain. So he told me that there was nothing wrong with my back, that my brain had gotten in the habit of feeling pain, and I had to tell my brain to stop it! At my surgery for the fusion 2 months later, the neurosurgeon found no cadaver bone whatsoever. I'm really glad the Mayo Dr didn't force more surgery on you, and really hope the Nevro helps you!
    • Posted

It's not a hole you can actually see on my back. According to what she showed me on her iPad of the ct scan/mylogram it's in my spine area where he did the surgery.  I really don't believe it tho because the neurosurgeons at mayo said nothing about it. It was the PAs way of trying to explain why I still had so much pain after the surgery that was not successful.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.