Neuro HF 10 Stimulator

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone had the Neuro 10 implanted ?.  It's really difficult to try and figure out because there are so many different types of stimulators. I had fusions that were not successful and the Neurosrgeon at Mayo thought this might be the answer. It is fairly new on the market (2015) so it's difficult finding any reviews.  Any info you could provide would really be appreciated. Thank you. Marie

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

After reading most of the texts, it seems,to me that the major problems with the Neuro HF 10 are 2: the placement of the battery and scar tissue. Does anyone else know of any other major issues?  I was, also, concerned with the cost.  No place did I read that Medicare or secondary insurance would absorb some of the costs.  I sent a text to the company that manufactures the devise and got a return e-mail from the District Mgr.,within hours, answering my questions about coverage. Medicare and some secondaries are accepted.   He was the gentleman who has the Mayo Clinic (where I'm having the procedure) account.   I hope this info is helpful for someone. Good luck to you all. 

Marie

• Posted

The difference is in design of lead on the later models but even these hav limited mri use, check what can be scanned if this isimportant to you.

yes i had previous surgery disc operations on my lower spine , lhave failed back surgery , l have a few scars on my back from surgery.

My battery unit and computer is impanted in my right buttock initally there was sorness and irritation but its gone now

• Posted

I'm so glad it's working for you Collin, and you're able to participate in life again!
    • Posted

You are an inspiration to all of us who are thinking about this implant. Good luck to you. 
    • Posted

Hi Colin. I'm glad you are doing so well. I think you are one of the few people on this forum who have actually had the Neuro HF 10. I know they estimate it will cut the pain 50 to 70%. Could you estimate how much it cut your pain?  I know everyone is different but just wondering your situation. Thank you for any info. Good luck!  Marie
    • Posted

Actually Marie, the study was to compare the Nevro to the low frequency sts's out there, and only a third of the participants reported that they either reduced or eliminated their use of opioids. This is also geared to treat radical pain (that which radiates from the nerve.) So if you have nerve impingement, barring other circumstances it should help. It was not found to treat general, chronic low back pain, which I would imagine comes from other conditions. In my case, I generally have soft tissue generated pain, so according to the study would not help me for the most part.
    • Posted

Each person is different but for me my average pain score was 7 to 10 with opid drugs helping to compact pain after implant its now general 2 to 3 with no opid drugs
    • Posted

That's fabulous. I wish I could find a magic wand like that for me. My average pain level is 7/8 when standing. I find that there are many things I'm dealing with from botched surgeries and complications, and having soft tissue pain as well as neuro myo fascial pain that's reacting to it all to risk trying it. I would have a difficult recovery because this would flair up in response to just getting the trial. I shudder to thnk of all the muscle spasms I'd have if I had it implanted. Unfortunately, I don't really meet the criteria like you did. I'm really glad that there's so much effort to manage pain in new ways, that I'm optimistic about choices we'll have in the future.
    • Posted

Hi Colin! I had my dr's visit last week so let me fill you in. First, you're correct about them not being MRI compatible yet. Although the manufacturer is making these claims, this has not yet been approved here in the US I told him about your positive experience and that it included a two week evaluation with various therapies and coaching. He was so interested he wants to read the study. His practice has only implanted 30 so far. He never heard of any recommendations for pain management counseling or exercises as a mandatory part of the procedure following the implant. I taught him most of what he now knows about it from what I've learned on this site. I told him that people who have fibromyalgia, some types of arthritis, or are a highly sensitive person don't seem to have a good outcome. His practice had no plans at the time to study and follow up with their patients, but I urged him to.It's sad that things here in the US are so different than the UK. The stupid insurance companies here seem to dictate what can be done because they won't cover the cost if anything additional that's recommended. So, we both decided that since I have all three of the criteria that patients who haven't had success with this device, we'd hold off in the hopes that technology for this improves. Thank you for all of your help!
  • Posted

The implant does not solve all things and its not the only thing helping , part of the assessment was a 2 week residental at hospital covered by the pain management team , where i met with others hoping for the miricale cure, but it included pain manage ent techniques, drug management , exercises daily as a group , streches the list goes on but also about , words like pacing, flare up, set backs and how to manage these things, if you havent done a program like this get youself on one. But you need to be committed and want to be open minded , finally i would say this every day when i get up since attending this assessment, i spend 30mins doing streches before even having my breakfast, if i dont do them my pain increases and i usually have a spasm in my leg or down one side which results in a bad day.
    • Posted

Seriously? I've never had any kind of coaching like that, and so far haven't read any mention of it. That's very good to know. I'll ask the dr when I meet with him tomorrow and see if it's part of the treatment plan. Thank you!
  • Posted

I had back surgery and a recent mri scan and was referred by my local hospital pain management consultant , previous to my 1st meeting with hospital for implant , that meeting discussed implant information on implant and also a required 2 week residential assessment which was a physical examination , a meeting with pycholigist, a discussion on meds, relaxtion ,exercise routine , observations by nurses during al this time, it was to show i think how committed you r it may vary from hospitals but certainlly a examination would be required.

we were told that the streches and excercises help the insertion of the leads.hope this helps

• Posted

That clears it up somewhat. They haven't said anything about a residential

assessment.  I can understand the stretches and exercises and I do know I will probably have to have pretty extensive physical therapy later.   The psychic exam threw me.  I was just wondering if it was a "Mayo thing".  Thanks for your info and good luck to you. Marie 

• Posted

Hi Marie! I asked my pain Dr about this psychic exam, and he said, "Oh yeah, we all do that", so I think it's part of the Nevro presurgery protocol to eliminate anyone that goes into this journey with a negative attitud.e

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.