neuropathic pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I have neuropathy and wish to know if anyone here has this due to medication. Thank you

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I also have neuropathy though never knew that particular medicines could have triggered it.I have it in both feet.I am actually planning to attend pain clinic tomorrow but not optimistic.Takes some time to accept this condition .Good to hear experiences and support on this forum.

• Posted

Has anyone heard of a patient being cured of it ? All that seems to happen is for patients to be given dangerous drugs like

amitriptyline – also used for treatment of headaches and depression

duloxetine – also used for treatment of bladder problems and depression

pregabalin and gabapentin – also used to treat epilepsy, headaches or anxiety.

If your pain is confined to a particular area of your body and you can't, or would prefer not to, take the medications above, you may benefit from using capsaicin cream.

Capsaicin is the substance that makes chilli peppers hot and is thought to work in neuropathic pain by stopping the nerves sending pain messages to the brain.

A pea-sized amount of capsaicin cream is rubbed on the painful area of skin three or four times a day. I use for pain in my knees when walking. It does not seem like arthritis as I don't have it except when standing or walking. In the UK you can again get it on an NHS prescription. It had been stopped for a while by the NHS.

• Posted

My doctor didn't even offer this cream. I was only offered anti depressants which I refused. Can you get it off prescription?

• Posted

I would have been very annoyed at that. Is he the only one in the practice that you can see ? It is only on prescription. I Googled it and there are lesser strength ones but I imagine that to really help we need the prescription strength. Lloyds pharmacy and some others will give you a prescription after an online consultation or over the phone. Then it costs £26.57 and probably also a consultation fee. A tube is only 45grms. so does not last very long. It says to use it four times a day but I just tend to use it morning and night.

I was going to an osteopath a couple of years ago and noticed that his receptionist had it and other things on her desk. I mentioned it to my GP and he said that he

"Shouldn’t have " Perhaps they are allowed to prescribe.

• Posted

The GP I saw has left the practice but there are many others I could see and ask about capsiacin.

• Posted

have to be aware that if you have asthma or any respiratory disease capsiacin cream can cause bronchospasms as it did to me they were severe too

• Posted

Hi Derek,I had heard about that cream and actually got it prescribed but was fearful about using due to reports of further burning .So obviously,its worth trying.Will consider this then.Its worth trying.Thanks

• Posted

I first used it about two years ago and it seemed to disappear as another good one called Traxam has. I started to use it again recently. It may burn a bit for the first few days on sensitive skin. or areas. Make sure you wash your hands well as it takes a lot of washing to get it off and really stings if you touch your mouth or eyes.

For some reason the NHS keep changing their preferred options and my GP says that this is now the favoured one again.

• Posted

Sometimes after showering in the morning the area it was applied to the night before feels a bit slippery and heats up again. It dos not burn enough to be painful. You can console yourself that it must be doing you good 😃

• Posted

I have neurpathy that started after taking cardicor.I am wondering if the neuropathy is now reversible. Does anyone know please.

• Posted

The UK medicines watchdog has issued guidance on fluoroquinolone antibiotics following some reports of ‘potentially irreversible’ side effects affecting multiple systems, organ classes and senses.

The Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Authority (MHRA) cautioned healthcare professionals on 21 March against prescribing the drug and to advise patients to stop taking it if they experienced side effects including muscle pain and peripheral neuropathy.

This is part of new restricted indications following an EU-wide safety review of the drug following ‘relatively few’ reports of serious side effects usually affecting the musculoskeletal and nervous systems. It is likely that the number of those adversely affected by the drug has been under-reported, the MHRA said.

Taking fluoroquinolone – which is prescribed for serious, life-threatening bacterial infections – by mouth, injections or inhalation can ‘very rarely’ cause these side effects for up to months or years, according to the MHRA.

It should not be prescribed for mild to moderate infections unless other antibiotics are considered inappropriate.

Some of the serious side effects reported include tendon rupture, depression, fatigue, memory impairment and arthralgia.

• Posted

I haven't tried CBD oil. Sometimes I find anti inflammatory painkillers reduce or get rid of the pain. Even mild exertion makes the pain worse such as housework or even computing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.