Neuropathy

Posted , 13 users are following.

Since December I began to have tingling in my feet,  now it's horrible, burning, painful tingling,  feeling that my feet at wrapped around. Something, I mean it's horrific,  can barely drive,  I can manage with my left foot,  but the right foot the sensations are making me very anxious.  Emg was good, blood tests by neuro was fine,  biopsy for small fiber was fine, but I know I have some kind of neuropathy,  gabapentin did not help,  and so far lyrica is not working,  now I'm on duloxetine 30 mg daily,  any tips, help, please, I feel awful and very depressed.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Joe been through the same thing for past 10 yrs. Nothing worked, tried all the meds and snake doctor cures. 6 weeks ago I bought a MED massager it has changed my life!!! Can't say it will work in your case but you might give it a try. $230 on line

• Posted

Got one.  What setting do you use?  Seems only to very seriously sensitize my feet.
    • Posted

What website,  is it a foot massager?.  I will try anything at this point to get relief.
    • Posted

Did you have the burning, tingling feeling, painful spots , a feeling of walking on broken glass.
    • Posted

Yes and so far have not found this product to be super useful.  Just FYI.  Might work for you.  
    • Posted

Entire foot was numb to touch but felt like they were being crushed in a vice with a screwdriver being twisted into the arch and that was on a good day. Bought my MED on Amazon. I use it at least 3 hours spread out over the day. Hope it works for you.
    • Posted

6 to 8 and I have gone from 3600 mg gabapentin a day to now 900 and starting to actually getting touch sensation back. Just me experience
    • Posted

Got a MED Massager from Costco yesterday. Drove 1 1/2 hours to where they were having a roadshow. I feel really positive that this is going to help. After using it for 15 minutes I can feel what I can only describe as nerve firings in my feet. Does this sound like something you experienced?
    • Posted

Yes, I use it at least 3 hours spread out over the day. All I can say it works for me. Been a couple of months and can kind of tell it maybe reaching a plateau but is a 5 where it use to be 9 on a good day. If this is as good as it gets, I'll gladly take it.

• Posted

Nortriptyline.  50mg.  I went as high as 125mg per doctor's instructions, but the side effect was low blood pressure in my head if I stood up too quickly.  50mg daily gives me about 1/3 pain relief.  The only other medication that offers better relief is the opiate Tramadol.  Combined with Nortriptyline, I get about 70% - 80% pain relief for about 12-14 hours a day.  If I skip my medication, I will be curled up in bed unable to cope.  Medical laws restricting necessary opiates in the United States has caused me to suffer for weeks on end.  Fortunately, the past 3 months I have been able to overcome these limitations legally and my life is better because my pain is now manageable.  I wish you the best of luck and determination in the face of serious pain.  I understand it is not a joke and your life really suffers when you are in constant pain.  My neuropathy was caused by over 2 years of uncontrolled diabetes WITHOUT access to healthcare due to a loss of income from my failing restaurant business.  I was able to finally secure some pathetic high deductible insurance a year ago thanks to Obamacare.  I was immediately diagnosed with extremely high blood sugar, infection, and extreme weight loss.  The correct diet and insulin almost immediately improved my diabetes A1C test from 15.8 to 6.3 in 4 months.  However, my neuropathy pain began about 1 month after my diabetes diagnosis and my feet and finger pain has never relented.  Clutching cold objects with my hands or ice on my feet helps dull the pain somewhat.  Getting intense exercise, eating well, sleeping well, and Nortriptyline and Tramadol allow me to get through the day.  My pain is not gone, but I can now manage it most days.  I wish you well.

• Posted

Have you had your b vitamin levels checked?
    • Posted

Yes, vitamin levels are ok.  I even checked myself for HIV, 3 times in the last 2 months, three 4th gen tests, all negative. 
  • Posted

Hi Joe7755 thats how my symptoms started as well. Unfortunately mine was left untreated and spread to my arms and legs. I am now on Gabapentin 1800mg a day and found that taken with Duloxetine 60mg a day helps a lot. Im afraid its trial and error and sometimes no cure.
    • Posted

Hi Catol,  my neurologist prescribed duloxetin 30 mg a day,  gabapentin Did not do a thing for me, I take it anyways.

• Posted

I advise everyone to try acupuncture if you have a practitioner in your area.  It is the only thing that consistently helps me.  That and legal (in my state) herbal medicine of the smoking and eating kind.  I have had idiopathic periipheral neuropathy in my feet and lower legs for about 7 years.
    • Posted

I only get relief when I'm sleeping,  my is burning feet, painful sensations,  primarily right foot.  I'll try acupuncture and see.

• Posted

Acupuncture can take a time or two to take hold, so don't give up if it isn't instant relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.