Neuropathy

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have slightly raised blood sugar levels. pre diabetes. Have had this for a while . Never goes into actuall type 2 . i am slim , fit active eat very well, ( have had surgery due to diverticulitis, but getting back into exercise again). I realise anyone can develop diabetes, especially as we get older( i am 63) My question is i have had signs of neuropathy for a while, tingling, coldness, but no,pain or anything. Could,this be from pre diabetes? My numbers are just above normal, but apparently still classed as pre diabetes. My iron was low after surgery, so my doc is giving me b 12 injections,( b12 deficiency can produce neuropathy too) . A lthough myb 12 was in normal range., he is going by my symptoms. can anyone help,with this please?

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello, yes it could be from peripheral neuropathy. YOu say "slightly raised blood sugar levels". What is your latest A1C number? Or, if you don't have that what are your blood glucose readings in the morning (fasting), and 2hrs after meals? Vitamin B can help but more details needed. Where is the tingling exactly? Is it more prevalent at night, morning, day?

• Posted

Thanks for response. I am around 5.4 in morning( fasting). around 5.7 2 hours after food,. more if ive eaten chips or something(rare for me. ) Maybe then around 8. the tingling is all over , but mainly in legs. Never have it in bed . only during day. Its the cold that has really been bad, although my iron levels are back up after an infusion several months ago.

• Posted

Well your readings are really good and diet should control you pre diabetes. So keep going with it. This is what I did and managed to control it for a number of years . Eventually I was put on Metformin. I was in my early 50's when diagnosed retired when put on Metformin, now at 77 the drug has been increased. Your diabetes nurse, if you have one should be able to answer your question on neuropathy. Best wishes

• Posted

I would not think it related to such a slight elevation in blood sugar, my impression is that neuropathy results from much higher levels over significant time, on the order of years.

• Posted

JX, this is incorrect. Oftentimes DPN is the first manifestation of Pre-Diabetes or full Diabetes. This is exactly what happened to me even while in the pre-diabetic range for about a year. I have read that over 50% of people with type 2 D, or pre-D have some level of DPN.

• Posted

jane, if that's what the standard explanation is I will officially stand corrected, thanks. And yet - why SHOULD it be an effect of only moderately high blood sugar for a short time?

Well let's see, I've had some little tingles and such for many years before I was registering as even pre-diabetic, and (fortunately) they have not gotten any worse as I've been diagnosed with "full" diabetes - now largely under control with diet, exercise, and a little metformin.

So I guess the next question is, how many people with normal blood sugar also suffer from any kind of peripheral neuropathy?

OP, if your fasting BG is 7.1, that's rather higher, that's getting into a range where, let's say, it pays to start worrying about it.

• Posted

Hi jx.

In terms of "why", I would just say that everyone is unique. Some with fully developed T2D don't ever get DPH even with high BG numbers. Others get it quickly as in my case. Like you I am controlled with diet and exercise. However DPH is my barometer. When I notice it more I know my BG is rising. I have been in the low 5's (A1C) for awhile but still get this.

• Posted

Thats what i thought but i am not sure. Just dug out my blood tests from 2 weeks ago. It was actually 7.1 fasting. But it isnt always like this because I've got a meter and i measure it myself. It suggests i have the 3 hour glucose tolerance test in 6 months. I have had a period of inactivity , as i mentioned before, because of surgery. I'm back into exercise now though. It is worrying me though. I have anxiety. Thanks so much fir your response. Much appreciated.

• Posted

Hi. 7.1, what unit of measure is that? mmol/l? If I am guessing right then that puts you in a pre-diabetic range. And if you are in pre-diabetic range then peripheral neuropathy (DPN) is absolutely possible. In fact it was my earliest and only symptom. At the time I did not realize it. Are you on any meds?

Most literature says that DPN is not reversible. However there are many stories of reversals out there. The two most commonly suggested methods are to first get BG under control. This means into non-diabetic range which is under 6.5 mmol/l. Second, exercise, especially aerobic. I can tell you from personal experience that both matter. I have taken my BG into non diabetic range and was exercising regularly. This helped my DPN greatly. A few weeks ago I sustained a sports injury and can no longer run for the moment. The DPN came back. I have found an alternate exercise and it has had an almost immediate impact.

The other supplement people talk about is B Vitamins. However the control of BG and exercise are far more important.

• Posted

Also, get an A1C test. Blood glucose readings here and there don't always tell the whole story. In my case my A1C is usually better than my self tests would imply. A1C is the more accurate measure.

• Posted

I dont know what mmom/L means .r. yes 7.1 IS definitely pre diabetic range. i have always exercised all my life, vegetarian, eat really well always in weight range, very slim. aerobic exercise every day , or walking. i just dont know what else i can do ? I have always lived a healthy lifestyle. i dont drink or smoke.i dont know what else i can do to be honest. i think it must be inevitable and i feel sad about that after taking care of myself all my life.

• Posted

What type of exercise do you do?

Vegetarian is fine but it is not necessarily low carb depending on diet choices.

I would get that A1C test done. addressing the underlying cause is more important than any supplements or meds.

• Posted

I would take magnesium and see if that gets rid of the tingling, it should help.

• Posted

Unfortunately magnesium really upsets my bowel. i am taking a liquid multivitamin though. hasnt helped. . thank you for your answer .

• Posted

Is that all magnesium and a low dose to start? I know magnesium oxide causes bowl movements, doctors used to prescribe it for that. Magnesium citrate is normally okay, magnesium citrate stops restless legs, and cramps which is why I suggested for your tingly legs.

• Posted

Its a great idea, but i have had bowel surgery and it is very easily irritated i dont have restless legs, really but tingling all over . Up my back, etc. Very unpleasant.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.