Neuropathy

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have slightly raised blood sugar levels. pre diabetes. Have had this for a while . Never goes into actuall type 2 . i am slim , fit active eat very well, ( have had surgery due to diverticulitis, but getting back into exercise again). I realise anyone can develop diabetes, especially as we get older( i am 63) My question is i have had signs of neuropathy for a while, tingling, coldness, but no,pain or anything. Could,this be from pre diabetes? My numbers are just above normal, but apparently still classed as pre diabetes. My iron was low after surgery, so my doc is giving me b 12 injections,( b12 deficiency can produce neuropathy too) . A lthough myb 12 was in normal range., he is going by my symptoms. can anyone help,with this please?

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

How much sugar are you eating, including fruit? Suggest you cut it right back at least for a couple of weeks to re-set your metabolism then keep it down as low as possible. This video transformed my thinking and as soon as I acted on it I lost a stone over 6 months and went back to my teenage weight and kept it off for the last few years and feel fitter than I've ever been.

There has been far too much emphasis on fat, whereas sugar, particularly fructose is the real problem. Keeping active and making sure you have sufficient vitamins D and K2 which have a significant role in regulating metabolism is also important. The amounts in mulitvitamins are nowhere near sufficient based on the latest science for what is optimal and you won't be able to make vitamin D in your skin from sunlight in the UK now till about April.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

I can't comment on any referenced video, but the comment about cutting back on sugar (including fruit and high carb vegetables) is spot on. That said, in regard to DPN, aerobic exercise, particularly walking and running, is also of great benefit.

• Posted

My post doesn't make sense without the links. What is unsuitable about them? They are all from qualified doctors. Please look up videos by Robert Lustig Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology at University of California, look for a website 'Scots need vitamin D' created by Edinburgh GP Helga Rhein and look for a book about Vitamin K2 and the calcium paradox by Dr Katie Rheame-Bleue a Canadian TV health expert.

• Posted

I am not a big sugar eater, as in biscuits, cakes etc, . Never had been . I do love cheese and pasta, and will cut down on that, but even then i dont eat huge amounts . i am skinny, because ive had bowel,surgery, so i really dont want to lose any weight, I was only 48 kilos when i came out of hospital in may. only 52 now. Weight has never been a problem for me. i wish you coukd send me the video privately, but if its about losing weight, its no good for me. i need to get the numbers down without losing any more weight. As for fruit oranges apples and strawberries blueberries. for your . plenty of veg legumes etc. thank you for your response.

• Posted

Jane, or anyone, can you suggest a good diet i could follow? Keeping in ming i dont need to,lose weightt, in fact the opposite . . I already exercise. Had wholegrain bread with baked beans last night, walked hour and half yesterday all up, and my reding 2 hours after that was 5.9 . I realise beans are

carbs,, but is a good quality wholegrain bread ok? I eat porridge for brekky, with a touch of salt ,as im Scottish! I live in Australia though.

• Posted

@Rhiannon_5000, the diet thing is quite individual, at least for those in the prediabetic range.

If you ask me 90% of the diet is learning to count carbs, and counting them! Just limit each meal to some reasonable range, which can depend on weight, age, and activity, and you're halfway there. The other half is avoiding (for the most part) the "whites" - white sugar, white rice, white bread.

There's a ton online about diabetic diets, but the above is the critical part!

If you want a starting range for carbs, I'd suggest something in the 50-60 per meal range. See how that works for you, and you might find you can raise it a bit more, or lower it. Mostly, learn which foods stay within it. After a couple of months it's completely natural, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it!

The other issue is "snacks". Of course sugary snacks are pretty much right out. But some people like to have some of their carbs as snacks - and subtract it from the next meal. For me, I think zero snacks is the answer. But I do often enough have a small high-protein snack about 9PM, most often almonds or cheese. In general protein counts as -zero- carbs for type2 diets, although type1 diabetics account for it differently.

The trick is mostly to avoid 200 carb meals, or 300 carb meals, etc! Do that and it might be all you need.

• Posted

Yep. i do understand the carb counting. im very interested in nutrition and studied it as a pre school teacher, howeve im lost to do,it for myself if that makes sense. I dont eat sugary stuff. not a sweet toothed person, so i i dont have to worry about that. i cant afford to lose any weight as i lost a lot after my surgery, so i'm a bit lost, and just cant afford to see a dietician at the moment. Is wholegrain bread in moderation ok? Beans etc . what i need is a good vegetarian diabetic menu. i'm sure if i googled I would find something . I'm good at following things, so that would be helpful. I will have to do some research. thanks for answer, great support on this forum.

• Posted

Hi again. I personally aim for 50-100 carbs PER DAY. This is on the edge of a ketogenic diet. NO breads, pasta, rice, or potatoes. My carbs come mostly from select vegetables (caulifower, brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, etc). Some beans (white) are ok in moderation. Sugary baked beans are very high in carbs. Eggs in most forms are good but Im not sure you eat them. Cheese is also ok. I also consume a fair amount of fish but again I am not sure if you eat fish. As far as snacks go I use sugar free jello, a spoon of peanut butter, or some raw nuts. I also aim for 5 feedings per day rather than 3.

We all have days or periods of time lime the holidays where this can be a bit challenging. It is possible to be creative .

I hope this is helpful.

• Posted

a useful book,I have found is CARB AND CALORIE COUNTER, it has 1,700 food photos. with carbs and calories given according to size or weight. Perhaps your library will have a copy. By Chris Cheyette and Yello Bellolia in association with Diabetes UK. ISBN 978-1-908-2611-5-1 CHELLO PUBLISHING LIMITED. IpaidĀ£14. 99 a year ago.

• Posted

Yes, whole grain breads and pastas are OK.

Strangely, whole fruit is also OK, although fruit juice is not.

Beans are OK.

Look into "resistant starch", if you make even white pasta (or rice!), then cool it in the fridge, it becomes "resistant" with a much lower glycemic index.

• Posted

Thanks for that. That is helpful. Ironically, yesterday i had home made soup( my favourite) . Low everything, but it really upset my bowel. This is going to be a balancing act for me. I think getting back to the exercising will make a difference. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

• Posted

I do eat eggs moderately, love cheese, but cholesterol is up s bit so I'm a bit careful with them . I love all of those veggies. Thanks for that. Very helpful .

• Posted

First, about your blood sugar: Even though fruit is natural, it still has sugar. Grains are another source. So if you are watching your sugar, you need to watch these, too.

Second, about neuropathy: Tingling in your hands/feet is a symptom, not a disease. You need to find out what is causing it. You may find that something in your diet causes it. Pay attention to what you eat and how you feel afterwards. If you can't remember, keep a journal. You may find that some foods cause your symptom.

Third, about B12: The B vitamins work together, not independently. So taking just one won't help. You need a B-complex. It is always better to drink your vitamins rather than swallow a pill because some of the nutrition can be lost during digestion. Try a powder that you can mix with a drink (not fruit juice since you want to watch your sugar). If you'd like a suggestion, I can provide one.

• Posted

i am taking a multivitamin as well as b12 injections. ive had bowel,surgery so i am missing 6 inches of bowel. i had a bag for 3 months so everything probably got worse then,,as my diet was very restricted. ive also,has an iron transfusion . the periphery starts as soon as i get up in the morning. Its systemic, not localised, so,nothing brings it on. No food etc.

• Posted

You can find multi-vitamins at your health food store in capsules or powder. (Don't buy vitamins at a grocery store.) Personally, I have been drinking Moringa, which is a green powder. I don't have a sugar problem, but I am amazed how good it makes me feel. It does help to regulate blood sugar. I mix it with almond milk in a blender, add a little vanilla or stevia, and heat it. I drink it right before I go to bed because it puts me to sleep!

• Posted

I wonder if that is like spirella? Or is it a multivitamin? If you dont have a sugar problem how do you know it regulates blood sugat?

• Posted

Spirella is an algae. Personally, I haven't heard of any health benefits from algae, so I can't say. So many other things have proven benefits, so I'd stick with them. Moringa comes from a tree grown in India and Mexico. People have been drinking Moringa tea for ages. As for myself, I have noticed how different foods affect my health, so I believe that diet holds the key for a lot of people. I have relatives with diabetes, so I've done a lot of research.

• Posted

I have always been an avid believer in a good diet. Was just very unlucky to develop diverticulitis that my gastroenterologist didnt pick up on early enough, and ended up having two bowel operations. My surgeon said i was one of the very few vegetarians he had seen with it . It has changed my health a bit. i have to be careful with fibre, which helps keep blood sugars down, so thats unfortunate, and the gp said the pre diabetes was probably because of menopause, which has made my hormones go haywire. I have been keeping a close eye on my numbers and they are in the very low range, 5.8 after most meals, ( and thats usually after dinner at night the cut off is 5.5. 5.4 after brekky usually, to me it seems unlikely that would be causing nerve damage, but who knows? I guess neuropathy can be from many things. its the cold that was really getting me down, thats better now, as its summer in Australia, but i still cant tolerate air conditioning, which the stores have turned up bery high and i am always freezing. Very unpleasant. Thank you for your reply .

• Posted

Well your numbers are so good, much better than mine. I have relatives in OZ. QUEENSLAND, Townsville. Happy Christmas.

• Posted

Sometimes foods that you think are good really aren't. I try to follow a good diet, but my family does otherwise. Needless to say, it's hard to be 100% compliant. I've always been cold (like you, I can't tolerate air conditioning). I just assumed that I had a high body temperature, maybe due to my Italian heritage. Since I've been following this diet, though, I noticed how much warmer I am. One day I ate something I shouldn't have, and I was so cold! I was really amazed. Since then, I've paid more attention to my diet, and I am warmer.

• Posted

Thanks josephine. Iam really trying to watch carbs. Its challenging when you already eat healthily. But its got to be done . And i am trying not to lose any more weight .

• Posted

I have studied nutrition, so i know exactly what is good and bad. And eating any particular food, unless it is ice is not going to make me feel cold. Its the neuropathy. Ifeel cold nearly all of the time . As well as tingly with pins and needles. Probobly need to be further investigated.

• Posted

Forgot to mention, merry xmas to you too josephine .

• Posted

What is good for you may be bad for me. One size doesn't fit all. That's why you need to pay attention to what you eat to see how it affects you.

• Posted

This is exactly right. There are many guidelines and suggestions out there based on years if data. And its good information. However we are all unique and respond slightly differently.

Rhiannons numbers are actually looking pretty good but still needs an A1C test for most accuracy. Neuropathy can present in pre-diabetes. My A1C has been in the low 5's (non diabetic) for 9 months and I still experience it.

• Posted

Its strange. My numbers have been even better but neuropathy is worse. Especially the coldness. I cant help thinking its something to do with bowel surgery. I had it before that, but then i had a huge abcess in there before surgery too.....makes you wonder if its nerve damage from that.

• Posted

The surgery may be a factor. And many other factors as well. What is your A1C? That result is more important than any self testing. If you dont know it, its an easy blood test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.