Neverending Fatigue

Posted , 12 users are following.

Just wondering what people are taking/doing for fatigue?

Absolutely wrecked tired all the time regardless of how much sleep I get!

No energy, have to push myself all the time!

Thanks.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The answer to fatigue in autoimmune disorders is not to push yourself all the time. It is pacing and resting appropriately. Google the spoon theory by Christina Miseriando for an allegory. 

The fatigue is due to the autoimmune disorder - and it mostly makes your body feel as if it has flu. There is no medication that will relieve the fatigue - that is a question of adaptation and lifestyle changes. It often helps to rest BEFORE you get so tired - some people plan a midday nap if they can, but even a lie down in a relaxer chair may be enough.

I can't put external links - but if you go to this post on another forum:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/pacing-in-chronic-illness-some-useful-links-that-explain-it-and-how-to-do-it-516000

you will find a couple of links to leaflets about dealing with fatigue in chronic illness, the second is particularly good. It doesn't matter that the label is for another autoimmune disorder - the concept is the same.

Vit D levels are often low in autoimmune disorders, it isn't known whether it is cause or effect, but having it checked and put right is a good start. Then you may be able to rule that out as a reason. Anaemia is also common in chronic illness - get that checked out too.

A supplement dose of 400IU vit D is nothing like enough for most people and definitely not for for someone with a chronic illness. 2000 IU is what is recommended for everyone here where I live - in sunny Italy where people spend a LOT of time out in the sun. 80% of the population is still vit D deficient!  But you need to have the level checked first - to be sure you don't have anything that makes you have a high vit D level. It is unlikely - but it does happen.

• Posted

Eileen, thank you so much for your very comprehensive reply.

I've downloaded the documents in your post on the other forum and will read later, will also read about the spoon theory.

I'll increase the Vit D dosage after my next clinic visit. 

I'll also try to adapt my lifestyle as best I can.

Thank you again.

• Posted

Hi, do empathise with your fstigue. Worth a try is Efamol evening oil of primrose i stopped talking it for a while and then realised I was really much worse with fstigue, I felt I was taking so much medication I needed to reduce stuff! I do take D3 especially living in north if England! The EOP saved my life, I shall always take it now as soon as I restarted I felt different in 3 days, so worth a try. The brand was produced by pharmacists and is safe and I have tried cheaper varieties, they just dont work for me
    • Posted

Thanks Treezsh,

I'll certainly give that a go - everything is worth trying in my opinion. I'm sure I've seen it in my local pharmacy.

Many thanks for replying, I'll let you know how I get on with it.

• Posted

Do remember to check with your pharmacist that it is OK along with whatever medication and other supplements you are on. That applies to everything - even when you think it is natural and so harmless - sometimes they aren't good mixed with other things.

• Posted

You are right there Eileen, my Rheumatologist put me on Vit B but when I took it my Arrythmia started playing up. Luckily I had a good Doc who asked if I had taken Vit B recently, when I said yes he explained that most vitamins now are compounds of many vitamins and Thiamine can bring on Arrythmia if you are predisposed to it. I stopped the Vit B and the Arrythmia stopped too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.