NEW BENEPALI PEN

Posted , 17 users are following.

Is anybody having problems with the new Benpali pen.  I have used four and three of them dont seem to work properly, when I remove pen after said time and second click all the liquid has not gone in and runs down my leg. I have reported this today, and was wondering if anybody else has the same problem.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Although I don't take that one I would look on YouTube or the web there is usually someone demonstrating how to inject it may be worth a look even if it only to polish your technique

• Posted

Hi Stephen thanks for reply but not sure I could do anything wrong it clicks in and out by itself I hold after for ages but once needle click out it can't go in. Thank you xx

• Posted

Hi,

When you say "new" Benepali pen, is that a new design or because Benepali is a relatively new drug?

I've only been on it a couple of months, so have no previous experience, but I've not had any problems.

Are you holding it down for at least 15 seconds after the second click? I normally count to 20 slowly after the second click to make sure it's all out. Seems to be ok.

• Posted

Hi Smiley16 yes it's a new type pen different type to Embrel which I was on for 8 years. I do leave for 20 seconds or even more but once the pen clicks out it can't go on in anymore and 3 out of 4 of the pens didn't injection it all in. Waiting for new lot to arrive see how they go. How long have u been on it xx 

• Posted

Hi Sandramollie23,

I've only been on it for 6 weeks. This is the first biological I have used so no previous experience with any other pens. I'm on my second box of 4 and all seem fine.

Maybe you've just got a dodgy batch. 😬

Fingers crossed.

• Posted

Hi Smiley

Be Nepali caused me probs with side effects after 2 doses so I've stopped it. However, I found taking it out of the fridge  an Hour before giving it stopped the sting! Also taking an'over the counter' antihistamine like Loratidine stopped any site reaction. I'm currently waiting for a delivery of Cimzia which is my next Biological to try...and I know what you mean about anxiety around taking/doing these injections.. but it seems we have little or no choice as my hands are deteriorating quite rapidly in their 'usefulness to me !! Good luck for the future.. hope they get your prob sorted out and soon !x

• Posted

Hi there.

I've been on the Benapali injections for three months after there years on Enbrel. I've had a couple of occasions where the liquid has leaked after releasing the jab after prescribed time. I'm not a big fan. Tricky to use when my hands are sore anyway and poor grip. Also why do they have to sting so much I wonder. My Rheumatoid has brought me lots of pain and ops but the sting from these jabs is really annoying and irritates me!! Surely theres an easier way. I am currently sat here trying to build myself up to take one. Am I a coward??🤔

• Posted

Hi deborah67573 thank you for replying I have rung the people that deliver Benepali and the rheumatoid Nurse and told them but not had a reply yet. The sting is awful like u say it must be the preservative as when Embrel first came out it wasn't a pen I had to mix it and it was painless. I know how u feel I hate it it as well and dread it when it's time to do it. Would be nice to hear other people's reactions on it. Hopefully Benepali will work the same as Embrel as I have been living a normal life on these injections. I live in Kent but go to a London hospital for treatment. Thank you for sharing xx

• Posted

Hi Deborah,

You're not a coward 😃

I had many years with old Enbrel pens which seemed very easy to administer. I too struggle with the Benepali pens. I find it really, really stings so i waste a lot of time psyching myself up on my injection day.

I don't like to complain as Etanerecept has been a game changer for me and really got my RA under control (with then odd flare up).

I finally mentioned it at my last appointment and asked if other were struggling and it seems not so i was relieves to read that I'm not alone in this.

I've tried using frozen peas to numb the area which didn't work for me. Going to buy a topical numbing cream next. I'd love to know if anyone has any tips to make the injections less painful.

• Posted

Hi all,

It's nice to hear other people's experience. I am new to these injections and have found that it stings a fair bit too. I haven't done my arms yet as can't figure out the right angle to inject myself there, but found the stomach hurt the least. I have to psych myself up for it, I put headphones on first and focus on the music before my jab. Definitely helps.

In fairness I was in so much agony and crippled by the pain and swelling of RA in my legs and feet before these injections I would gladly inject my self every hour to be as I am now. It seems to have worked a treat. Long may it continue!

• Posted

Yes you are so right Smiley16 the injections very painful, but do outweigh the pain from rheumatoid arthritis, just a shame they have to sting so much. Glad you are feeling better, they are a wonder drug really.xx
  • Posted

I have used 4 pens so far and everyone has poured down my stomach,So I'm wondering if I'm getting the full dose .what did they say when you reported it. I thought I was doing it wrong .

• Posted

Hi Sandra, I experienced this with the injections. I injected myself for about 4 weeks, no problem. Then the next 2 poured down my leg. I rang for advice to the company who supply the new Benepali. They organised a nurse to come out and check I was doing it properly. The nurse came and said I was doing it fine. They decided I must have had a faulty batch and no I wouldn't have received the right correct amount. They sent me a new batch and i have had no more problems with injecting. I was told, you must report if any problems, so the company can check why. Also to write down the batch number off the pen. The only advice I can give is make sure you stretch the skin flat before you inject. I'm sure you are doing that. Maybe get advice.

• Posted

I had this problem the first 3 or 4 times I used it I think that because of the initial stinging pain I may have subconsciously reduced the pressure whilst holding the pen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.