New club member

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, I've just been diagnosed with Uticaria - oh joy.   Initially I had it just on the lower back but it gradually spread and now I get it over my entire back, front, neck, buttocks, back of thighs and knees.   The Dermotologist gave me a script for Cetrizine and another for Loratadine.   I am first to try the Cetrizine and if that doesn't work the Loratadine, 4 x 10mgs per day.

When I first noticed it I started applying 1% Antroquoral cream.   It kept the itch away but the rash spread.   I saw my GP who prescribed a 2% solution which does basically the same.   Biggest problem is it only lasts a few hours and then the itch returns.   I've been on the Cetrizine for 4 days now and aren't seeing any relief.

I've found animene (Calamine) tends to relieve the itch longer but tends to rub off during the night so I use that during the day and the Antroquoral during the night (twice).

Interestingly, I also have had PMR for the last few months and have been on Prednisone, it was after going on Prednisone I came down with Uticaria.

So now I have two maladies with no known cause, no known cure and will probably stick with me for a few years if not for life, ain't life grand.   What's next I keep asking myself, all these pills plus being a diabetic I guess I know what's coming - dialysis.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

X2 on the Gluten Free diet. I was suffering for years with 'pressure' urticaria. MEaning, if anything touched me for very long or hard, I would hive up in that area for 24-48 hours. Sitting on a hard bench, standing too long, gripping something like a golf clucb or a suitcase, all that would trigger hives. I went gluten free and symptoms disappeared in a bout 3 weeks. I also drastically reduced my sugar intake. 

Each person is different, but it might be worth a try. I also lost about 20 pounds without exercising.

• Posted

Hi Tony

I have idiopathic chronic urticaria (whole body) and was at first prescribed cetirizine too. It did nothing for me and I switched to Loratidine which I am on now. I take 2x10mg in the morning and often 2x10 in the afternoon. Also take 2x25mg of prometihazine at night which help me get to sleep without itching and have been great.

My case was so bad I was willing to try anything so I've also gone gluten free and cut out most milk (I used almond and coconut milk anyway so no biggie) and have nettle tea 2x a day and 2 shots of ACV daily also.

I do feel a lot better since the medication switch and dietary/herbal changes. Whether or not this is the medication or natural remedies I don't know so continue to do both.

I also use calamine lotion on the severe welts and take baths in pinetarsol solution when the itching has been unbearable.

I've had days when I feel so good I don't take the antihistamines - big mistake as I've found the hives will be much more agressive the next day.

Anyway just thought I'd share my 2cents in case it helps.

Hope you get some relief.

• Posted

I'm free of hives but am still taking antihistames because after I had my first bout l stopped taking them and it came back worse so I'm sticking to what I'm doing for now.
    • Posted

Yeah I am trying to get off them as quick as possible as we want to get pregnant again - I really don't want to be on any medication the first few months at least so hence trying to give them up already!

I'll give it another while and try to cut down more slowly maybe....

• Posted

All the info I've read on Uticaria suggest that the weals, welts and itch in a specific area fade after 36-48 hours and then crop up somewhere else.   I haven't noticed this and my itch remains in the same places and is slowly spreading.   Is this normal for Uticaria or do I have something else?
    • Posted

I definitely find they appear in areas then go down and appear elsewhere - makes it very frustrating trying to put cream or calamine lotion on as I eventually end up with my whole body covered in white paint! 

It's frustrating as you just calm down one flare up and another appears in a completely different place...

• Posted

I tried calamine lotion and yes it stopped the itch for a while but didn't get rid of it.  I found strong salty water and I mean strong which means there is a small layer of salt in the bottom of your container of water. Use cotton wool or similar to dab  onto the itchy area or weal and leave to dry. You may have to do this several times but it does take the itch away and it also reduces the redness or weal and calms the whole area.  Also try drinking a class of bi-carbonate of soda - 250mls to 1 teaspoon.  I believe making your body less acidic helps us hivey people.
    • Posted

If your weals and welts are in the same area is something you are wearing chafing. It was for me and I used a silicon based cream or silicon lubricant on the area and this helped enormously - for instance waistbands, where seams rub  and as I'm a woman bras. It really did help.
    • Posted

That is unusual. My hives would "bloom" all over all day. Older ones would fade but in the meantime they were popping up somewhere else. Have you have any blood work done so far?
  • Posted

I don't get huge weals, the skin is just a little pink and when I scratch I get little red lumps but it's always in the same spot and it is spreading. Incredibly itchy
    • Posted

Don't scratch use the saline solution l recommended. You will have to apply more than once though to reduce it. You need to keep your skin from becoming too dry so use a non perfumed baby moisturiser in the area but also all over. CIU susceptible to dry skin.
  • Posted

Yes had a FBC, everything as expected given diabetes and PMR?   No surprises there at all.
  • Posted

Well how about that, today was quite hot and when I started getting getting itchy across the lower nack I got the wife to apply some animine, no weals or welts just a little pink but when I had a look at my abdomen I had quite a large weal across the left side, but no itch.   That's the first weal I've had!   Trying saline tonight after a shower but a question, should I apply a moisturiser before or after applying the saline?
    • Posted

After the itch and weal are very reduced or gone the saline has to dry on the body and be left on after application to work properly. It's trial and error to get it right. The weal you had on your body must have been caused by either chafing or a fold in your clothes. It doesn't have to be much to cause it.
  • Posted

I applied a saline solution this evening and although I wasn't itching and had no weals it kept them at bay for a good few hours.   I only applied Animine before going to bed, annoyingly the Animine rubs off in the sack and turns the sheets pink so I've taken to wearing a T shirt.   Slept right through the night last night until early this morning before I started to itch again.   I don't think I'll bother with the steroid cream anymore, it only lasts a couple of hours and certainly hasn't improved the Uticaria at all.
    • Posted

After the itch has gone use a silicon based cream (UK called Lanocane anti-chafe) or use a silicon personal lubricant (works the same) on the area and under clothes. Leaves no residue and prevents chafing and pressure problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.