New club member

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, I've just been diagnosed with Uticaria - oh joy.   Initially I had it just on the lower back but it gradually spread and now I get it over my entire back, front, neck, buttocks, back of thighs and knees.   The Dermotologist gave me a script for Cetrizine and another for Loratadine.   I am first to try the Cetrizine and if that doesn't work the Loratadine, 4 x 10mgs per day.

When I first noticed it I started applying 1% Antroquoral cream.   It kept the itch away but the rash spread.   I saw my GP who prescribed a 2% solution which does basically the same.   Biggest problem is it only lasts a few hours and then the itch returns.   I've been on the Cetrizine for 4 days now and aren't seeing any relief.

I've found animene (Calamine) tends to relieve the itch longer but tends to rub off during the night so I use that during the day and the Antroquoral during the night (twice).

Interestingly, I also have had PMR for the last few months and have been on Prednisone, it was after going on Prednisone I came down with Uticaria.

So now I have two maladies with no known cause, no known cure and will probably stick with me for a few years if not for life, ain't life grand.   What's next I keep asking myself, all these pills plus being a diabetic I guess I know what's coming - dialysis.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The saline solution seems to work quite well, thanks for the tip.   I apply the saline after a shower around 5:00pm, apply Sorbolene around 7:00pm and then apply Alimine around 10:30pm before bed and I'm right until around 6:30 - 7:00am, then I start to itch, but as soon as I get up the itch seems to fade and doesn't return until late in the morning.   I then apply the saline followed by Sorbolene again and I'm usually right for the rest of the day.   Thanks again..
  • Posted

Update: I've been applying a saline solution followed by Sorbolene followed by Animine for a week now and the itch has all but disapeared except for underarms. I've discontinued the saline and Animine and now only use Sorbolene before retiring for the night, although since I still have it underarms I think I'll reintroduce the saline wash there. I've no idea if it is this regimen or the change to Loratidine but something seems to be working. I worry that this has been too easy thus far and dread a return to those itchy nights.
  • Posted

Hi Tony

Just enjoy the relief and stop worrying, worrying is not good for hivey people.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.