New Date For Cholecystectomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Been given a new date next week for my gall bladder removal operation but I am hoping that I get rid of this cold or chest infection that seems to be lingering with me, had it for 7 days, was coughing up green phlegm, will be seeing my doctor tomorrow to see what he thinks as he may decide to gibe me some antibiotics to get rid of it quicker, although I am seeing the surgeon this week also to discuss about the op etc, so that may help too.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

All go for next week for my Cholecystectomy, wish me luck.

I am not so worried about the op itself, but am slightly concerned if it doesn't sort of the pain issues, then the next worry will be what next.

• Posted

Don't worry I'm sure it'll all be fine.

I honestly felt a load better after my op and this current annoyance I'm sure will sort itself out pretty quick.

Good luck

• Posted

happyalien,

I fully appreciate that, thank you very much.

• Posted

Can I ask, did you feel any different just after having the gall bladder removed and months after?
  • Posted

Sorry, what I meant there was did you feel an empty space where the gall bladder used to be?
  • Posted

Hi there,

Just out of hospital today after gall bladder removal, in for 2 nights now at home. You will be fine. First time on these forums, also looking for advice/answers. Like diet, and is this now the end of those horrible pains.

• Posted

Elimite,

Can I ask why were you in for 2 nights? as normally you can be out either the same day or the next.

Also do you feel the clips that are left in for when they clipped the cystic duct?

• Posted

Elimite,

I forgot to ask, did you ever experience pains at your right hand back shoulder blade only at times?

• Posted

Hi,

Was kept in the 2nd day for observation as the anesthetic didn't agree with me too well. I'm at home now and the only discomfort is slight pain up to the right shoulder, I'm mobile enough but just tender and taking things easy, but looking forward to the benefits to be had in the future, the staples aren't an issue,and i'm due to have them removed at my local gp next wed. Showering is ok as well,they will give you fresh dressings should you need them,as well as pain killers. If I can be of any more help, please ask. Let me know how it goes.

• Posted

I have heard that about the pain post op at the right hand shoulder, but pre op I get pains at the actual right hand shoulder blade, and it always feels like from the inside to the back rather than to the front, this is why the surgeon isn't 100% as to what this actual issue is that causes the pain, and he thinks that removing the GB will help.

My stools have started to look more of the darker brown colour as for most of last year they were mostly light in colour appearance.

When you mentioned staples I take it that's the stitches on the front, I am worried about the clips that they use for the ducts inside, and curious if they can be felt post op.

My bowel movements are soft anyway mostly, so this thing about diarrhoea after the op won't be much different to me. :-)

• Posted

The staples I mean are the outer ones,the inner,I believe,dissolve naturally and I'm not even aware of their existence. My problem wAs severe pain below the breastbone area, this came on me mostly at night and became more frequent as time went on. The motion issue with me my be too early to comment on, but all in all,anyone I've spoken to have said they were glad they had it done.
  • Posted

mr9000,

Didn't feel an 'empty space' after gallbladder was removed. It was a bit tender around the around for a couple of weeks and I had staples in the wounds from the lap choly for a week then they came out - so no issues with them.

There was aching pain from the gas they inflate your stomach with but that went after about 4-5 days.

As for clips etc inside - can't feel anything, I think they use stitches that dissolve.

I didn't have any kind of problem with eating after the op so I"m quite lucky.

I think you'll be fine, I was totally nervous before the op but it wasn't that bad.

• Posted

happyalien,

Did you have to go to the doctor's surgery to get those external staples removed or did they come out on their own?

The clips inside you say come out on their own by dissolving, but the thing is surely there is a clip that needs to stay in once the cystic duct has been cut?

• Posted

mr9000

Sorry I don't know if they leave a clip inside, I just assumed it was some kind of dissolving stitches and never thought to ask - whatever it is I don't think I can feel them.

The external staples I got an appointment with the local nurse at a walk in centre and it took them about 4 minutes to take them out and that was it.

Hope that helps - might have to find out now if I have a big staple inside (and see if I can get a magnet to stick to it :-) )

• Posted

happyalien,

That's my fault, I read too much about the procedures beforehand and how they are done, and is probably the reason why I am asking these questions lol.

I suppose I should remember the old saying "A Little Knowledge is a dangerous thing" :-)

I am glad you are fine after your operation, and I will post back after I have had mine. :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.