New diagnosis

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey guys,

I'm currently under investigation for svt. I've been addmitted with symptoms related to it. During these admissions I've had medication to lower my heart rate. In some occasions I've had electrical shocks too. Im increasingly become stressed and annoyed over this matter. My consultant hasn't contacted me in 3months and it's becoming frustrating without any answers. I was later told that he had discharged me. I went to my gp and they said that there is something wrong with my heart rythem and that my consultant has to refer me immedietley.

I really don't know what to do me and my family are getting sick and tired of waiting for answers.

I just wanted to know how many times a month would you have? Do you blackout with this issue? Do you become sweaty and lethargic after? What's the highest heart rate it could go to (mine was 210)? What are all the symptoms you get?

Thank you in advance

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've had five episodes of what I believe to be SVT in the past 9 years.  I know it doesn't sound much, but they last up to two hours and are very frightening. Until the last one it stopped before I got to a doctor (though ironically, the first time it happened I was working on a maternity unit!) but the last time, I drove myself to the GP, the receptionist got a nurse right away, I was given an ECG and then my GP listened in, all whilst my heart rate was at 160 bpm. I was ambulanced to A&E, but of course everything was normal by the time I got there.

Although my BP was initially up, by the time I was discharged some 4 hours later, it was normal (I definitely have White Coat syndrome!) Consequently I had a 7 day heart monitor and then an echocardiogram.  When I saw the consultant afterwards, she said the the monitor showed over 400 ectopics and the echo showed a marginal thickening of the wall of one of the chambers of the heart - none of this was of any concern and was considered  normal.

The letter to my GP, a copy of which was sent to me, gave a diagnosis of palpitations, anxiety and hypertension, absolutely no mention of SVT (although my GP had said on listening, he thought it was SVT).  I think I agree that because this is a non life threatening condition in itself, it isn't treated as serious.  Which should be completely reassuring of course, but when your heart suddenly starts going twice (or more) as fast as it should, it is terrifying.

As for other symptoms, I guess I am fortunate that all I get is very shaky, but I think that is the terror as much as anything else.  It is also very reassuring to come here and know I'm not alone.

• Posted

I don't think they can tell its SVT by listening.  When I get an anxiety attack my rate goes 160 or higher.  Another guy ont he forum went to 180 and they caught it on a monitor and it wasn't svt.. So anything is possible.  I just know anxiety, or what i call it.. dumps of adrenaline that come out of no where can make your heart speed up real fast. 
    • Posted

Yeah thanks. Like I mentioned it's a possibility.

Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.