new here

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi all i have been looking on this site for the last few days and have found all the comments very reassuring. My problem is i had postnatal depression 3 years ago, was on fluoxetine for a year and fully recovered. However 6 weeks ago i started having panic attacks and my mind constantly racing about everything. I am now on 40mg propranolol 3 times a day and 20mg fluoxetine. Since i started taking them last friday i have not slept much have no appetite and feel worse with bad thoughts, is this normal?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated xx

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Jem92, If you are having "Bad Thoughts" contact your Dr, the R.X is not working for you correctly.rolleyes
  • Posted

Quite often medication can make symptoms worse, these often pass, but for me they are unacceptable. I find therapy to be more effective
  • Posted

Also start getting some Vit,D (from the sun) and Vit B-12
    • Posted

Thanks for the replies, the doctor did recommend therapy but i was in such a bad state she gave me medication to take the edge off i have had anxiety in the past but i never knew it could be this bad
    • Posted

Therapy can be arranged quite quickly, I would ask for a quick referral to physchology
  • Posted

I think all meds start worse for first couple weeks not sure of your meds ask your doctor take care
  • Posted

I think all meds start worse for first couple weeks not sure of your meds ask your doctor take care
  • Posted

4th Oct   Hello Jem, You sound a very positive person, and i if i can say iut, enjoyed reading your comments about yourself,  can in ask you have you read the instructions that comem with all medications especially the Fluoxetine, as they can actually make you feel suicidal and have bad thoughts, i iwsh you had said what they were but i understand you not sharing them with total strangers, I am a medico  and you must tell your GP or whoever prescribed the Fluoxetine and tell him or her what your bad thoughts are, please do it first thing monday, the other thing is you often feel worse before youn feel better, but having all those thoughts worries me. maybe Fluoxetine is not for you, another A/D to mention to your Dr is one i have been on for a few yrs and no side effects ever, its called SERTRALINE

please mention it to your Dr. will you let me know how your getting on, also have you ever called places such as the crisis centre or breathing  space, The crisis centre is open 24/7 is free and they are fantastic thwe number is 08088010414   please call them any hour of the day, and of course you ahve a young baby to look after its no wonder you cant sleep but the medication and depression will be causing that, but you muist see your DR first thing monday , if you have bad thoughts then also call NHS 24 or go to A&E ,can i ask you are your thougghts about harming yourself or your baby ?  sorry thats something you must tell your DR ASAP, Callum 

• Posted

thanks for your  advice sorry i wasnt more clear with what i said, the thoughts are not about harming myself or anyone they are about me worrying something bad will happen to me or my children i told my doctor everything she said i have got severe anxiety i will give the tablets more time see if they help i remember fluoextine taking a while to work last time i had them
  • Posted

Hi Jem.

I am on Mirtazapine..I was changed from Citalopram 2 weeks ago as they did the same to me. I was on them 8 weeks and was having constant anxiety(worse than when I started them),intrusive thoughts,mind racing. It was horrendous.

I'm feeling a touch better on the new meds but it's early days. I feel as if I'm having to start all over and that the new med is having to try and fix the damage done by the old med.

If you have anxiety,chances are that may increase for a while until the melds get properly into your system,however you seem very concerned so I would go and see your doctor and ask him to change them.

We know our own bodies and minds so if it doesn't feel quite right then you are well within your rights to express this to your doctor xxx

• Posted

thanks gillian i really appreciate the advice from everyone had a really bad week thought i was the only one feeling like this my partner and family are supportive but i dont think people really understand unless going through it themselves, glad you are feeling a bit better xx
    • Posted

It's a lonely place chick.

You can be in a room full of people and feel lonelier than if you where sat alone because you don't feel a part of all that's going on,you don't feel happy.

Ive been here before,many years ago and got through it so I know it's possible Jem. 

We just have to accept each days moods for what they are,good or bad and staying mindful and hopeful that each day is a day closer to happiness xx

• Posted

Amen Gillian.. Love your positive attitude makes me feel at ease that I know I will be ok.. Xxx
    • Posted

You will Tonya. We all will.

This is just temorary. We are all going to come through this and be string and inspirational. 

Then we can tell our stories to help those who are just starting on this journey and struggling as we are now xxx

• Posted

My spelling was a little naff there lol 

temporary*

strong*

xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.