New here - 7 weeks post hip replacement surgery

Posted , 45 users are following.

I've been lurking for a while (sorry) but I must say thank you for all of the reads. Sometimes at my most worriesome moments I would read here and feel a little better knowing I wasn't alone.

Anyway - I'm 40 years old and after about 7 years of pain which always seemed to be localized in my knee - and every time I went to the dr they shooshed me off saying nothing was wrong with my knee - I finally found a good orthopedic who said "maybe it's not your knee - maybe it's your hip". Sure enough, X-rays then showed severe arthritis in both hips - worse in my left. Tried medication and cortisone shots - nothing worked so off to surgery it was.

Had an anterior approach surgery 7 weeks ago today. Frustrated though as I was told that after 6 weeks I should be doing good. I have given up the walker and the cane. Every single time I get up, those first handful of steps are excruciating!! Sometimes I have a limp, sometimes I don't. I still take prescription meds at night and sleep with a gazillion pillows and my ice packs. Most nights I can sleep for 3-4 hours - then I'm up again. I take ibuprofen during the day - trying to give up the pain meds but if i don't take them I can't get through the day. My husband says I'm doing so well - I feel like I should be doing better and it's getting me down.

Why so much pain after 7 weeks? So frustrating. I have to do the other side within 6 months (earlier If the pain gets worse) and I'm terrified. I just want to feel normal.

Anyway - wanted to say hi. Finally got enough courage t join and hope to chat with others going through the same things.

6 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have found this forum so supportive myself. Nothing wrong with "lurking", I'm sure everyone here understands that.

I'm only 2 weeks post op and am feeling pretty good, so I won't be of much help. What has your doctor said at your post op appt? I was told I will be getting an X-ray at 4 weeks. Have you had one yet? Are you doing physical therapy? Perhaps too much if you are?

I hope you find some relief. And I wish you all the best with your next hip. Sending you positive thoughts smile

Jennifer

• Posted

Hi, I'm seven weeks (full hip replacement) post of this Thursday. I have my post op appointment with my Surgeon scheduled on this day. 

I seem to be getting more mobile and flexible by the day...I'm off all medication, walking unaided and managing the stairs albeit gingerly!....but the damn pain in the groin is depressing me terribly ! Like you getting up from a sitting position and the first few steps are extremely uncomfortable. I also have scar tissue pain but this seems to be easing. 

My groin pain now is actually worse one than before my op which automatically makes me think "was it all wiorth  it"?.....I will be anxiously awaiting the post op X-ray (which I assume will occur) and the Surgeons explaiination and hopefully words of recovery timing encouragement?

It's only the encouraging, honest and supportive comments on this Forum that keep me sane and hopeful it will all come good in the near future!

cheers and good luck with your adventure...

Philip

• Posted

I too was concerned as when I was doing an exercise the physical therapist gave to me I felt the groan pain, I immediately stopped doing that exercise. I told my surgeon about it and he said any exercises that cause pain not to do and I am following his instructions. He told me to listen to my body as it knows best and everyone is different. As far as walking aids, if I need them use them, so I switch off, walker and crutches and sometimes the cane. I will be going to rehab at 6 weeks, right now I am 4 weeks out total posterior hip replacement.
  • Posted

Hello,

I am 8 weeks post op on Wednesday. Minimal invasive posterior. I too am confused with my recovery but by the sounds of it on here we are all different. I started walking on the treadmill and it takes me 45 minutes to do almost a mile. I was hoping that type of a longer walk would "loosen" things up. It hasn't. BUT I do feel way better than pre op days. I couldn't even walk let alone on a treadmill. So I think it is just taking us a little longer. I take tylenol in the day....This site has been a real blessing for me as I come on as I am progressing and read info and encouragement. We will get there we just have to be patient. Hugs from Canada and you are not alonesmile

• Edited

Hello, OneHip! Sorry you are having trouble. Do I understand correctly that you're having severe pain all the time, but it is even worse when you get up and take the first few steps? And you are not using any walking aids at all? Might I ask if it hurts less if you use a walking aid? It is probably not a good idea to walk without an aid if you are still limp, even only sometimes, especially this soon out of surgery. 

I am way farther out from surgery than you are, and I still limp, and while I don't have pain while using an aid, I do have pain when trying to walk without my walker or crutch. 

Your extreme pain does sound quite concerning, and unusual. You should check with your doctor about it. I was off all pain meds by 5 weeks, and only take an occasional ibuprofen after overdoing things. Good luck getting to the bottom of this.

• Posted

Hi onehip-

Warm welcome to our hippies family - and yes, it takes courage to share your story - You already found that personal stories are shared, that there is so much support and good advice here and you definitely are not alone !

I also have some questions .... Have you had your follow up appointment ? usually scheduled around 6-8 weeks post-op ... 

You mention that your other hip has severe OA as well and will need THR surgery !!! well darling, that happened to me - I had my 1st THR in March 2015 in right hip - Left hip had mild OA (x-ray taken October 2014) - It went OK for a couple of weeks, but still pain, limping, taking pain meds, while also doing my exercises and taking walks - Had follow up appointment May 2015  and low and behold!!!!   left hip's cartilage was down to bone-on-bone - 2nd THR on left hip was in Septmeber - apologies for the long story - 

The time in between the surgeries was very challenging - Right hip, brand new, had to support and compensate for the rapidly declining left hip ... 

SO I am with you  and to be honest, it wasn't a happy time for me - but also had good days though - 

Maybe you should use a cane or some aid when walking - at this time your body is not in balance , so you need support - 

Keep moving the best you can - stretch your muscles and be kind to yourself -

Do not compare yourself to others either - 

I hope I did not bring you down though... this is my personal experience !

Big warm hug and come back any time if you have any concerns or wuestions.

renee

• Posted

Hi there,

welcome to the hippie club. 

I was late lurking on here I was so so glad when I found this sight though every one has been a great help.

everyone progresses different. So do not compare. It is true about your pain though. When ever I was not sure about anything I phoned my doctor and he exspained it to me. That's what the doctors are there for to help you. 

Phone them and ask them. Piece of mind. 

I have just turned 50 and had my op six months ago. 

When I first had my op I was deperssed as I was restricted on what I could do and my husband needed to help me wash etc. God love him but I'm a independent woman a never have I had anyone look after me. It's always been the other way around. I pick up after the family and I work full time and I have the grandchildren for there tea every night. The all of a sudden tables turned.

i thought I would never get back to myself. Then al of a sudden I was feeling a difference as each day passed and I am back at work full time almost doing everything that I was before my op.

the only thing I still can not do is get down on my honkers. ( crouch) 

but hay ho that's ok with me. 

Im due to have my other hip op but I'm a server anaemic so can not have surgery until that is sorted. Going for my fourth blood test today to see if the tablets are working. 

So realy the moral of my story is try not to worry to much as it will come to you and you will look back and say what was all that stress about. 

You take care early days rest and exercise. That's the key. 

Take care and God bless. 

• Posted

Hi one hip - well done for posting. It helps our recovery to have direct support.

I am five weeks nearly six and wonder if you are simply doing too much to be on

that much medication? What happens when you have a rest day is the pain better?

Possibly you might be rushing your recovery - which is understandable as the impatience to be well and normal is understandable I feel so much like that too. You are doing so well, you really are, you don't need to push anymore - but should avoid doing so much you need ice and so much pain relief. I know I need to rest when it starts to hurt.

Why not have an easier day - just a few exercises and a little walk and see if that makes any difference?

Definitely come back - we don't mind you lurking but you will find the forum far more helpful if you post your own questions and worries - the support can be invaluable.

• Posted

Hi Onehip

why so much pain after 7 weeks?

You suffered for 7 years before the op? I would imagine that your body compensated for the degeneration in your hip, ankle ached, knee ache. Mine did, and how my whole body complained for weeks after.

Gentle exercise and patience - hah. Having number two in a few weeks, no patience there either!!!

• Edited

Hi Hiphop times 2...  This site is the most amazing one...cheerful and supportive .  It will or some one will always be there to answer and give support.  You make friends even tho you won't meet...In the night when you might be at your lowest and no one else undertands...a fellow hippie will..and will post you..  It kept me sane and less anxious prior to my op in Sept and also still now 4 months on.  I have posts that make me smile and laugh also one or two that irritate but hey ho...we are a mixed bunch in ages and countries too.

​Keep posting and look at Rocket mans site. He complied it and is compliling it after his revision surgery last week and is so so useful.

ALice

• Posted

Glad you like it - gives me more incentive to continue ... it's quite a lot of work compiling it all.
    • Posted

Hey all, I had a full hip replacement 2 months ago! I am doing well, but going through post surgical depression! Always thinking the worst, can't stop crying , help anyone??sad

• Posted

Oh jocelyne 38612,

I completely empathise! I'm 4 weeks post op ( and 5 months post first THR), and I've spent the last 2 weeks in depression with negative thoughts and the fear that i'm not doing enough for a full recovery. For me the worst, though, is the feeling of being out of control of my life - I've had to rely so heavily on others... I'm sure this isn't uncommon given that we are so reliant where we normally would be so independent . Add to that the sheer exhaustion we suffer as sleep is very difficult and movement requires such an effort, no wonder we drop down a big emotional hole from time to time.

I think I have dragged myself back up a little at the moment and feel a little more positive. It really is a rollercoaster of emotions. The best advice I can give is to go with it , accept the lows and enjoy the highs. I do hope that in time your highs increase and your lows fade away.

• Posted

Hi Jocelyne, try B-12 complex vitamins. I was getting down, which is not like me, I am very independent but I also need to follow the doctor's instructions. I ordered a liquid B-12 complex from Puritans Pride and it is wonderful, feel so much better. I would talk to my regular doctor about your depression though, he may be able to assist you in a temporary script. It seems your doing well otherwise or are you frustrated by limitations?

• Posted

Hi jocelyne38612. I had to say keep your head up. I have been so depressed praying to find somebody that could help me. I did not want to have surgery at all. I did as of January 22 2018 and glad I did. I have always been independent. I am 61 years old loves to travel, entertain and work but all of that came to a hauler in February 2016 and it devasted me. Well any way osteo had set in right hip severely and I could only scoot around in my office chair. Well after surgery I felt like an elephant was sitting on me. The pain meds had me literally crazy with severe anxiety attacks. I have one more Tylenol 4 to take. I guess I will purchase Tylenol over the counter. I am walking with can or walker with a limp. I may have to have to have the left hip soon but I am praying I wont. I am so thankful for this site. Many sleepless nights nut better now. I look forward in hearing from others on this subject. I do not want to be alone in this. Thanks

• Posted

I had the left hip already and may have to have right later. Sorry for the misinformation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.