New here - 7 weeks post hip replacement surgery

Posted , 45 users are following.

I've been lurking for a while (sorry) but I must say thank you for all of the reads. Sometimes at my most worriesome moments I would read here and feel a little better knowing I wasn't alone.

Anyway - I'm 40 years old and after about 7 years of pain which always seemed to be localized in my knee - and every time I went to the dr they shooshed me off saying nothing was wrong with my knee - I finally found a good orthopedic who said "maybe it's not your knee - maybe it's your hip". Sure enough, X-rays then showed severe arthritis in both hips - worse in my left. Tried medication and cortisone shots - nothing worked so off to surgery it was.

Had an anterior approach surgery 7 weeks ago today. Frustrated though as I was told that after 6 weeks I should be doing good. I have given up the walker and the cane. Every single time I get up, those first handful of steps are excruciating!! Sometimes I have a limp, sometimes I don't. I still take prescription meds at night and sleep with a gazillion pillows and my ice packs. Most nights I can sleep for 3-4 hours - then I'm up again. I take ibuprofen during the day - trying to give up the pain meds but if i don't take them I can't get through the day. My husband says I'm doing so well - I feel like I should be doing better and it's getting me down.

Why so much pain after 7 weeks? So frustrating. I have to do the other side within 6 months (earlier If the pain gets worse) and I'm terrified. I just want to feel normal.

Anyway - wanted to say hi. Finally got enough courage t join and hope to chat with others going through the same things.

6 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you all for your kind words.

AnnieK - I am not always in horrible pain.  Most of the pain is just when I have been sitting and I go to get up.  Those first handful of steps are horrible.  If I am sitting or lying down, I don't have much pain at all....and after I am up a bit and walking around, then it's not bad either.  Although today, because I had a lot of online work to do (and any medicine makes me a bit sleepy) I tried to get through with nothing (I took my last pill around 4:30am) - but I just had to give in...I couldn't even get comfortable while sitting.  It is even painful around my incision and the scar....almost feels bruised but looks ok and no drainage.  It's just frustrating as I thought I would be better by now - or at least feeling like I can do more.  I have 4 kids - so getting a lot of down time isn't always in my cards, lol....so I know that I over do it many days but with one of them being 3 years old....it is what it is.   I have tried to see if using the cane would make much of difference but it really doesn't seem to.

renee01952 -  I have a lot of knee pain again - which was a worry of mine as I do have the arthritis in my knees as well but I worry maybe more of the pain is from over compensating my left side now, instead of my right.  The surgeon did take xrays again of the right side and didn't give me anything that made her think that it has gotten that much worse but I do worry - as it has given out on me a handful of times (2x today).  I'm terrified to do this again.  I know it is a given that I have to....but I just don't wanna (in my best kid voice, lol).  How has the 2nd one been?  Do you notice a big difference now?  

I did have my follow up with my surgeon last week.  I was a bit disappointed though as she never even looked at my scar, never had me walk....nothing.  They did do new xrays and she said everything that way looked great.  She was happy that I didn't have the cane and was walking on my own.  I voiced my concern that I am still in pain a lot of the time and have a hard time sleeping...she just said that I am probably over doing it and be sure to take the pain meds before bed.  Even though she answered my questions, I kinda felt as if I was being pushed out.  sad

I was discharged from PT a while back.  I think the Monday before Christmas was the last time.  I do my excercises here at home 2 times a day - one of which is usually in the hot shower, haha...not sure if that is cheating since the hot water usually loosens me up anyway, lol.

I look forward to "meeting" you all more...and having some to talk to to get through this smile  

• Posted

I think four children is the answer - no rest and a full on life. I have only two children and am struggling! Now I know why you are in pain, and why your doctor is not worried.

It is impossible to rest for very long, and very easy to see why you are finding the nights so bad.

I think it will pass for you - or you need more help - easier said than done I know! There is so much to contend with isn't it. I have never felt exhaustion like it. Sending you huge hugs and hope you will soon be feeling much better!

• Posted

Just a thought do you think you should use your cane a little more often? Maybe you are putting too much pressure on the hip too soon? It might help to take the weight off your hip for parts of the day? Just a thought - just may relieve the pain a little.
  • Posted

Onehip, many people need to continue using walking aids past 7 weeks. Since you say your leg has given out on you several times, that is even more reason to keep using a crutch, walker or canes/poles. You could injure yourself further if you fall down. It should also help with the pain on getting up - less pressure on your recovering hip. Just because whoever you saw was "happy" that you weren't using them doesn't mean that you still don't need them. 

I understand that you have 4 kids, and one is only 3, but that doesn't mean that your recovery needs can be neglected. If you want to recover, you must take care of yourself. See if you can get more help with them, anything so that you can get more rest and give your hip a chance to recover.

I am very surprised your doctor didn't look at the scar or see how you walk. That was standard procedure at my 6 week follow-up. Be sure to let your doctor know your concerns. Be a squeaky wheel, since they are the ones that get the grease.

• Posted

So right Annie, I was using sticks right up to my second operation, which was 10 weeks after the original one.  Keep on using the walking aids al long as your body needs them.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Annie I love the squeaky wheel analogy! Also I think it is a good point about being able to walk without crutches but doing so too often may cause pain.
  • Posted

hi hipsters🙋??, I'm new here and i to have had a total R hip replacement 7 weeks ago via anterior bikini cut...was wondering if anyone has experienced lymphedema in the thigh after surgery??

• Posted

I read your post with interest as I am now at 8 weeks and was in a similar position to you one week ago. Very mobile, little or no pain relief but groin pain worsening. My physio explained that i had allowed inflammation to build up around the joint and my lateral movement had decreased from the previous week. He explained the importance of anti-inflammatory meds. Now I'm back on them My pain has greatly reduced and I can move better.

Moral of the story for me was that stopping meds early isn't brave or sensible, it can do more harm than good. Trust me, I have taken minimal all the way through but accept that I need some!

• Posted

I had bilateral hip replacement seven weeks ago posterior my right hip is in great shape my left hip is not my groin area does not hurt any more but when I put weight on left side sharp pain down from my back to  feet can't do much because of it any ideas

• Posted

Hi David, sorry to hear you're experiencing pain still. In recent weeks my physio has been working on my lower back as this had suffered due to my bad posture and limp caused by my hip. Maybe something to consider?

• Posted

Hello OneHip so glad you posted, this forum is a wonderful source of support for you. Can you be specific and post what pain medication you are taking, include the mg, and how often.
    • Posted

No pain meds working hard every day 2 miles a day  but pain in left hip can be brutal not in groin but from lower back down to foot when I stand up from sitting absulutely crippling takes 20 minutes or so to get going

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.