New here - 7 weeks post hip replacement surgery

Posted , 45 users are following.

I've been lurking for a while (sorry) but I must say thank you for all of the reads. Sometimes at my most worriesome moments I would read here and feel a little better knowing I wasn't alone.

Anyway - I'm 40 years old and after about 7 years of pain which always seemed to be localized in my knee - and every time I went to the dr they shooshed me off saying nothing was wrong with my knee - I finally found a good orthopedic who said "maybe it's not your knee - maybe it's your hip". Sure enough, X-rays then showed severe arthritis in both hips - worse in my left. Tried medication and cortisone shots - nothing worked so off to surgery it was.

Had an anterior approach surgery 7 weeks ago today. Frustrated though as I was told that after 6 weeks I should be doing good. I have given up the walker and the cane. Every single time I get up, those first handful of steps are excruciating!! Sometimes I have a limp, sometimes I don't. I still take prescription meds at night and sleep with a gazillion pillows and my ice packs. Most nights I can sleep for 3-4 hours - then I'm up again. I take ibuprofen during the day - trying to give up the pain meds but if i don't take them I can't get through the day. My husband says I'm doing so well - I feel like I should be doing better and it's getting me down.

Why so much pain after 7 weeks? So frustrating. I have to do the other side within 6 months (earlier If the pain gets worse) and I'm terrified. I just want to feel normal.

Anyway - wanted to say hi. Finally got enough courage t join and hope to chat with others going through the same things.

6 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all I'm 8 weeks post opp total left hip replacement I'm 47 and have suffered for around 8 years was told it was my knees for years till a lovely consultant exrayed my hips severe OA my pain is just starting to calm down at hydro therapy because wasn't strong enough to do anything else seem to be to getting stronger i too thought I would be better by now but physio said small steps I'm still using one crutch x

• Posted

Hi Onehip2hip-ugh you must be so frustrated, your story reads the same as mine pre-op at least, i complained for yrs and was fobbed off about both my knee and hips only to discover that my knee has no cartlege on it and double hip displaysia that was never picked up as a child! i'm 57 now. i had my right posteria THR just short of 6wks ago and so far it's gone like a dream. I have been off both my pain relief and all walking aids for 4wks now yes 4wks. I am a little stiff when i first stand from sitting for a few steps. 

I have followed advise to the letter despite feeling i could do more as i don't want to risk my recovery especially in the first 6wks. i walk to my partners every day about half a mile and do my exercises religiously. Maybe your muscles need to be retrained to worked properly after so long of not walking corectly. I would see your consultant again. I hope you soon start to feel on the homeward stretch.

• Posted

I am 6 weeks, 1 day out.  I am 52, self employed contractor who suffered a severe pain when trying to complete my ?evening run of 4 miles, 2-3 times/week...like I have been doing since I was in my 30's.

?So I did the posterior Right Hip, Nov. 15, 2017.  PT 2 times a week.  Driving in 3 weeks, no walking cane  3-4 weeks.  I stopped reducing Tylenol 4-5 weeks out...or only when feel mild discomfort...then stopped the 5-6 week.

?I noticed the 3-5 week I had good day, then bad day.  Concluded doing to much...we live on 10 acre farm, chickens, riding ATV, picking up Sticks...another words, not resting!  Seen the surgeon 4 weeks out at that time no walking cane feeling great.  Slight tingling in pinky of both hands...was my only complaint.

?So now December 30th, feel like I am having more bad days of discomfort as I'm doing more and more of on my feet all day and not resting.  Started to take , 500 mg Tylenol when I feel discomfort during the day or every 6-8 hours...why suffer.  But, I hate taking any form of medication except my baby aspirin.

?So I can confirm the thoughts of something is wrong, my wife reminded me that the Surgeon explained at 4 weeks to take it easy, and that you STILL HAVE A LOT of healing to do.  Your body will tell you is for sure...so when I felt good my brain said more is better.  The healing process is massive, and has different stages.  For instance, I just started going up and down steps normally (6 weeks) where at 5 (weeks) could not do.

?In conclusion, it would be nice to see some follow ups of 7-12 weeks.  Are people in this time frame feeling better and moving on (not looking) back.  Feeling normal 4-6 weeks out is not being healed.  Healing is 3 months, 6 months to resuming normal activities...and 2 years to completeness.

Hope this helps! 

• Posted

Hi Kevin i had my posteria THR on 30th sep 17. In the 3mths up to the op i was on crutches in severe pain even just walking. I think you have to let your body tell you how to go and keep reminding yourself that we have had a major surgery and a very big muscle cut through and bones drilled and reemed out to fit new bits so you cannot expect to have no pain. I was determined to do as the physio said and no more i started walking either on the flat or down bank so i didn't put any extra stress on compromised muscles that i still needed to build up. We live next to a dene so 3wks ago my partner and i went the easy root about 3 miles and i managed well again the week after and then last week i did the full hike up and down hills and did it well, granted i was a bit stiff afterward but it was less than i expected. I have joined my local gym and tomorrow am going to start swimming and light gym work to get the muscles strong again and next week i am attending a 10wk rehab course at a nearby pool especially for post op people. Your bum muscle is the powerhouse that gives you strength so until it's back up and running properly you will gets aches and pains and stiffness. i have to say 3mths post op and i feel great really i forget i have had it done sometimes. I will gladly answer any questions i can for you as it is difficult finding someone in our age range as opposed to a very old person, trying to get info on sex afterward was impossible for that very reason! LOL.

• Posted

I'm 4 days from 7 week operation.

Spoke to a THR patient who felt great at the 4-5 week period, then at 5-6 week he thought something was wrong...having excruciating pain.  He then stated that a week or so it all went away.  I can relate to this as I learned in the morning if I'm feeling discomfort will take 1 Tylenol...and the same for the early evening.  I think this helps with inflammation and aching...which was from the knee up to the groin.  Lately I have had more good days and can tell from my first early morning steps how my day is going to be.

Currently, only seeing Physical Therapist every Friday to monitor my progress and walking tread mill, stationary bike 20 min each...in between doing various exercises.

Will update in 2 weeks! 

• Posted

I had the same thing happen to me around the 6wks mark where i suddenly had the worst pain ever so bad that i rang the physio up as it really frightened me, he explained that i was using the muscles more and not to worry thankfully he was right but i will say that around the 9wks mark i felt i had really turned a corner. I found i was no longer as stiff from sitting and i hardly think about it really. Like you i am having major problems with my knee but the doctor is going to look at it in 3wks so hopefully i can then get completely back to normal. I hope your recovery takes a similar route, i look forward to hearing how you get on.
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

I'm new here but have read quite a few of the posts and have found them reassuring. I had my hip replacement op just over 5 weeks ago. Thought I was doing ok but as the weeks have gone on my walking has become more difficult. I have terrible pain in my knee and can only walk for a few minutes without a crutch before the pain becomes unbearable. I thought at 6 weeks things would be good and I would be driving and walking normally and unaided. But I don't think that is going to be the case. I am supposed to be going back to work the week after next  (in an office so seated most of the time) but not sure if I feel up to it to be honest? Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pat

• Posted

I'm also 7 weeks out from my anterior hip replacement.  Still pain with walking,down thigh and in knee.  Back to using a cane.  Think i gave it up too soon (after 4 weeks).  Swelling on right side of knee now.  Hoping that's normal.  My dr. does not believe in physical therapy until the leg is completely healed.  I hear all the time how you should have PT but trying to follow his advice.  Did you go to PT?  I'm not happy with my progress but i know everyone is different.  Ready to get back to biking and exercising!! Hope you get some relief soon!

• Posted

omg this is exactly me at 49 years old and same progress !

I am in good shape bike alot - hike 3-4 miles a say- had a torn labrum from injury that causes the progression of arthritis . I was in so much pain I could barely walk at times .

now 7 weeks post full right hip replacement anterior approach im stiff and good and bad days - tingling on right side little swollen and still little numb .

I am doing PT three days a week because I find it to be extremely important for recovery and mobility in the long haul .

Walking 2 miles a day or trying and icing alot after -BUT stiff and tight and just soreness

• Posted

i am 7 weeks out from an anterior hip replacement. the best thing I could have done. I am totally pain free; back at work week 3. Exercising helps.

• Posted

Hi, I've just joined!! it's great to know we are not alone. I'm 77 and had a THR 7 weeks ago after suffering years of pain. I did really well for the first few weeks but now find the first few steps really painful. I had given up crutches and stick but now use a stick again. The hospital gave me a book of exercises which increase as time goes on. I'm finding the new exercises really painful. Yesterday I decided to have a rest day, no 30 minute walk and no exercises and thus morning it feels much better.

• Posted

I am in a similar situation. Felt terrific first 3-4 weeks, since then as the numbness in the thigh wears off I am experiencing nerve pain in the leg, knee and ankle. Nothing awful but definitely uncomfortable. More frightening is that when I get up from sitting (or reclining in bed) I often can't stand straight unless/until there is a slight popping which feels like something going into place. When I mentioned it to my surgeon he said x-ray is perfect and it could be a tendon or scar tissue and it should resolve but it has me concerned that I traded one problem (hip giving on me) for another.

• Posted

After THR Felt terrific first 3-4 weeks, since then as the numbness in the thigh wears off I am experiencing nerve pain in the leg, knee and ankle. Nothing awful but definitely uncomfortable. More frightening is that when I get up from sitting (or reclining in bed) I often can't stand straight unless/until there is a slight popping which feels like something going into place. When I mentioned it to my surgeon he said x-ray is perfect and it could be a tendon or scar tissue and it should resolve but it has me concerned that I traded one problem (hip giving on me) for another. Anyone else experience similar?

• Posted

I had a total right hip replacement 7 weeks ago.Range of motion is good, but every time I get out of my car after driving, even short distances I really hurt trying to walk those first few steps and then pain becomes less but those first few steps really hurt!Same with getting up after a nights sleep. First few steps really hurt.I take one advil in the morning and sometimes one later in the day. Just hoping this pain will get better over time!

• Posted

Hi,

when my Mum had her THR at 82, the surgeon didn't take into account her spinal curvature and post op nobody picked up on her unequal leg length until she went to podiatry/ orthotics over 2 yrs later . She now has a raised shoe.

She ditched her stick way too soon as it was a nuisance , and the limping hasnt helped her other hip or her back.

She also only ever did the lying down hip strengthening exercises and never progressed to the standing ones because she thought she didnt need to do them as walking about ( with a limp🤔) which she still has.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.