New here, also, apparent mild emphysema

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi,

I smoked for many years; quit a lot, but still leaves 25. I am 57 and was diagnosed with mild emphysema last month. It was not a shock, but I am still in part denial and going day to day. I have been doing some walking (however, I live in a hot climate most of the year). I find that the main thing that brings on discomfort and some shortness of breath is the heat! I do get it other times, but seems manageable, not bad.

Here is my question: moved and sent for medical records. Doctor never told me that Ct scan showed early emphysema changes and mild bronchitis. I smoked on and off these last two years. I can't believe I was not told. Anyway, I had spirometry done and my PFT values are very good, I think 93 percent for my age. Pulmonologist says very unusual, but CT does show the COPD. She feels I need minimum treatment. I read that a normal PFT offers a good prognosis long-term. I pray that this is true.

Does anyone know anything about this type of situation?

Thank you!

4 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You are saying your PFT is 93%? If so yes that is good. Humidity makes it harder to breath, and I think hot air period.  The CT I believe is showing scar tissue.  I was told first of the year I have COPD. My PFT was 29% and then 39% with a breathing treatment,  which told them I respond well to the medicine.  I changed my diet 3 weeks ago and doing Pulmonary Rehab,  and I'm feeling alot better.  Still not normal,  but I can breath better.  Don't eat anything white, give up sugar,  eat veggies and fruit. Trust me you will feel so much better.  I just read pineapple is good for lung health,  has something in it that helps repair lung damage,  not sure but can't hurt and I like it. There are some copd groups on FB also.  Read and learn, good luck. 
    • Posted

I'm also new....and am seeing "don't eat anything white".  Can you explain this to me, please.  Also, my pulmonary doctor had said to stay away from processed food as much as possible - I have always cooked everything from scratch anyway, but found that interesting.  I am eating differently, walking 2 to 3 miles a day, drinking a lot of lemon water and taking a positive attitude.  I'm not in denial but mentally, I go through each day acting as if I don't have COPD (even though I have changed eating habits and exercise habits).
    • Posted

Thank you, Jubal.  It is great that you are feeling pretty well with your numbers.  Your lung function seems better than that, especially since you are taking such good care of yourself.  I had no idea about the diet, thank  you for letting me know.  I love pineapple!  I have heard that pulmonary rehab is very helpful so I am open to that for sure.

The CT was two years ago, and I did not know results (this part) until recently.  So I don't know what it would show now.  I hope iit could be scar tissue.  ??? Pulmonary doc said she never saw such conflicting info.

i did not respond well to breathing treatment on pft so that is also strange.  Do you take any bronchodilators?  I have Advair (same in UK?) and it does not help much at all. If anything, I get chest pain so not using it.

i am going to try the diet.  I am glad I found this board.  I wish you the very best.

• Posted

Sandy,

i do not understand the diet either.  I am trying to exercise and hear it helps, so,must do more.  I am not in denial anymore, but like you, I act as if I don't have it.  I would love to hear from anyone about the diet.  Thank you.  I wish you the very best...

• Posted

Thank you so much Brenda.  There are SO MANY variables to this disease.  I'm thrilled that being on Spiriva, Advair and then on oxygen during the night, walking 3 miles a day, I'm feeling better than I have for years!  My blood oxy level has gone from 76 to a pretty consistent 95; therefore, I truly feel that with diligence, we can control this disease.  Again, thanks!!
  • Posted

Hi Maryterese,

Youare the first person to contact me since I signed up.

I was officially diagnosed as COPD 4 years ago.

I stopped smoking 6 years ago. One of the first questions I wanted to ask my doctor was, How long have I got to live? I dont know how long I have got either he said.

this made me wonder has he got  an illness as well. As long as a piece of string I told myself. Still, I have had 3 score years and ten (70) and two bonus years (72)

I have been on oxygen therapy for the past 4 years. I get regular emails from Deborah Leader about.com copd newsletter. There has been many usful bits of information as to how to manage the condition. Diet, exercise, sleep, medications etc. I now take each day as it comes and at the end of the day just give thanks to God for what He has done for me, for now and for my future however long or short that may be. I have also foiund things are better if I try to keep away from anxiety causing situations (that is hard to do especially since I have a wonderful caring wife and three grown children and eleven grandchildren ) anyway, enough of me, so now, you, I will have you in my thoughts for your wellbeing and your ability to enjoy every day that you have. Forget the "piece of string" Iyt is now 16:56 here in the UK I think I need a cup of coffee, Cheers for now.

• Posted

Hi maryterese,  you are the same age as me and pretty new into the copd diagnosis likewise,  however, I am getting through and acting like I dont have anything wrong with me like some of the other copd sufferers I have been reading about.  I am from NZ and am taking seretide inhaler which is in a round contraption and you pull a lever back to inhale the medicine then it slowly reverts back into itself,  I have to rinse my mouth after each application and I do have a dry mouth after it I also drink lots of water,  am still working in a retail store here, do yoga every morning, havent been keeping up with the walking but am going to try eating pineapple as well,  well will give anything a go at this stge of the game.  I am due to go for another respiratory test next week so will get back on here and let you know of the findings after that.   I also try to focus on a real push to making sure my family and anyone who will listen to STOP smoking.......on that note keep well and look after yourself.....we are heading into the winter months here and I definitely need to keep myself well and warm....
    • Posted

It's really sad when you talk to others and try to encourage them to quit smoking.  One friend and her husband are heavy smokers (he's had cancer twice) and they both still smoke.  I apologized to them for "being on my soapbox" and they were very "cordial" about it, however, my voice went in one ear and out the other.  Two relatives that I spoke to just basically again "in one ear and out the other".  I have approached all of these people simply by saying "I was just diagnosed with emphysema" and not suggesting that they quit smoking; however, again, my voice fell on deaf ears!  I can't understand it.  One relative has HAD emphysema for 5 years and quit smoking; however, he started again.
    • Posted

Sandy, I have heard that people just say "what's the point?" Since I am sick anyway.
    • Posted

Back on.  Does yoga help you?  I am thinking of doing that.  I am going to join a gym soon, definitely, go slowly.  I walk when I can but it is the summer months beginning here in Florida and too hot!!!  I have been to Australia, but never had the pleasure of going to NZ.   It must get pretty hot in summer?  How do you handle the humidity?

I just bought an air purifier and hope that may be helpful.

Please keep me posted.

• Posted

Sandy, folks just shrug off your warnings because they are probably still on their feet & can get by each day. My O/H smokes & has a terrible cough but he gets up each day & has a normal life between bouts of explosive coughing. He'll say "Oh! I used too much pepper" or "The drink went down the wrong way" We're both retired. I'm worried about the future for us. Like you said, anytime I utter a word of advice" In  one ear & out the other"
    • Posted

Yes, Karry, we just need to support one another and be grateful for our good days.  My husband and I are also retired (72) but I'm determined to not let COPD rule my life!  Keep in touch!
  • Posted

Hi hen keeps,

i aam aam unable to reply to other's posts?? So replying to my own.

i understand.  I will do anything to make it better.  Doescyogachelp?  What are your PFT's now?  I still find it hard to believe that mine are so high, although scared to death to get another CT (too much radiation lately, plus do not want to know!).  Will do so at one point.  I am glad you seem to be active.  Do you feel tired??  I now feel tired all the time, but could be a different reason.

imam from the States as probably apparent.  I lived in the Northeast most of my life, lots of cold and a few months of humidity.  I now live in Florida (after divorce) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.