New here, also, apparent mild emphysema

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi,

I smoked for many years; quit a lot, but still leaves 25. I am 57 and was diagnosed with mild emphysema last month. It was not a shock, but I am still in part denial and going day to day. I have been doing some walking (however, I live in a hot climate most of the year). I find that the main thing that brings on discomfort and some shortness of breath is the heat! I do get it other times, but seems manageable, not bad.

Here is my question: moved and sent for medical records. Doctor never told me that Ct scan showed early emphysema changes and mild bronchitis. I smoked on and off these last two years. I can't believe I was not told. Anyway, I had spirometry done and my PFT values are very good, I think 93 percent for my age. Pulmonologist says very unusual, but CT does show the COPD. She feels I need minimum treatment. I read that a normal PFT offers a good prognosis long-term. I pray that this is true.

Does anyone know anything about this type of situation?

Thank you!

4 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Httnkeepa, post went through before I finished.  Having trouble posting.  Will check back later.
    • Posted

Ok guys.....I hate to appear stupid; however, I am still pretty new to all of this.  I keep hearing you all  writing about their PFT's.  What does that mean?  Is it the blood oxy level????  Also, someone mentioned that pineapple is so good for you.  I assume that would be FRESH pineapple and what is it about pineapple that is so good for COPD???

Thanks for any info, I apologize for being so ignorant!  smile

• Posted

Do not know about pineapple.  Pulse ox level is different than PFT.  PFT means pulmonary function test.  It is done using spirometry where you blow into this machine as hard as you can.  It is the GOLD standard for clinical diagnosis.  Did they not give you this test?  How were you diagnosed?
    • Posted

Anyone else here feel tired a lot?  I feel like it is too much at my stage, but could be worse than I think.  Also could be other health issue.

Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Mary Terese!  Yes I did have the pulmonary function test....just didn't know what the acronym was....duh!  smile  Yes, I went through about an hour's worth of tests to check the FEV, blood test to see if it was hereditary, etc.  I first became aware that I NEEDED to go to the doctor when I was terribly dizzy and my mother-in-laws oximeter said my blood oxy was 72.  I'm SO pleased with my GP - he did an EKG and immediately sent me for CT scan followed with an immediate trip to the pulmonary doctor!   I have possibly had emphysema for YEARS and did not realize it. (just figured it was my age)  Yes, I was VERY tired; however, now that I'm on Spiriva, Advair and oxygen during the night, I have more energy than I've had for years!!  Was just diagnosed in February 2014. (and I'm 72 years old!!)  I almost feel as if I've been reborn
    • Posted

I think I have had it for a few years.  That is great you feel so good!  Very encouraging to others.   I tried Advair. Doc does not think I need it.  I think it helps a bit.  Will see about Spiriva down the road.  I think exercise is key for me, also.  It has only been a few weeks, and I need to do more.

thanks,keep us updated.  Do the meds increase your PFT's?

• Posted

To back up a bit- in June 2012, I was diagnosed with asthma at the age of 70!  At that time, all the doctor did was a spirometry test & said "I think you have asthma". He put me on 3 steroids and sent me home.  I refused to live every day on all of those steroids for the rest of my life!  In February 2014 when I was quite dizzy & my blood oxy was 72, I went to a different doctor (I think I already told my history on that). He had spent several years practicing at Jewish National Hospital in Colorado and stated that he "found it hard to believe that all of a sudden at age 70 that I developed asthma".  Long story short...yes, I feel the Spiriva combined with Advair plus oxygen at night, I feel GREAT, have more energy than I've had for years and my blood oxy is a consistent 95!  I will have another PFT in July so I'll let you know how it goes.  I KNOW that COPD is not reversible, however I am convinced that the right doctor can make a world of difference!  Maryterese, do keep in touch regarding any changes in your health/meds etc.  Strange....but I somehow feel I know you!!!  smile
  • Posted

Hey, I was just thinking - don't have time for a long post, but I have been so tired, unlike any other fatigue I ever felt.  I know it is from the oxygen problem.  It is just hitting me how scary that is.  I sleep soundly for two or three hours, wake up, can only sleep a couple more hours or so.  This is very new for me.  I am mild COPD?  Maybe not?  

what do you all do to help with sleep?  I would be very grateful to hear.

• Posted

Maryterese....Definitely, the fatigue could be from lack of oxygen.  I am on oxygen all night but do not use it during the day.  I have TONS of energy during the day.  I DO have some nights that I don't sleep as well as other nights....haven't quite figured that out yet.  When I can't sleep, I get up and read for a while and that seems to help.  Are you on any other meds beside Advair.  Also, I would suggest that you talk to your doctor about night-time oxygen.  Let me know what you find out.  Do you have an oximeter that you can periodically check your oxygen?
    • Posted

Sandy, sorry I have not gotten back to you. I am hoping others will respond to this as well. My pulmonologist is on vacation.  My new primary seems to have a lack  of knowledge or caring about COPD.  I am alone here as I had to move after my recent divorce.  It has been very difficult.  I am embarrassed to say that I went back to smoking for almost a week.  When I stopped, my sob was much worse. I decided to try again to see what happened, and my sob was much better!!  Will the bad sob get better after I stopped??

You had suggested oxygen .  I can't imagine that I would need it already since pulmonologist thinks I am in early stage.  I am unable to reach her right now.  I am very reluctant to call primary.  I wonder if I should have a CT scan?  I am very concerned, confused and upset.  How could I go from minor symptoms to this in a month?  The sleepiness had been going on before I smoked for a week.

I hope someone can comment?? Thank 

• Posted

Maryterese:  No apology necessary!  smile  Is there a medical society where you live that could give you guidance to locate a primary that may be more concerned/interested in your situation.  The whole key to controlling this disease is based on your physicians.  I feel VERY fortunate that both my primary and pulmonary are very concerned and knowledgeable.  I was already in Stage 2 when I was diagnosed.  My primary care physician was the one that put me on oxygen immediately, before I even left his office to go for my CT scan because my blood oxy was at 72.  I only use the oxygen during the night and my blood oxy is pretty stable during the day at 95.  So I am feeling that the oxygen is a HUGE help as far as breathing, fatigue and even coughing.  Prior to being diagnosed and under treatment, I could hardly walk up the 10 steps from our basement without my chest hurting and having labored breathing.  Now I can practically RUN up those stairs.  Have you had a chest x-ray?  I am surprised that neither your primary OR your pulmonary haven't set you up for a CT scan.  That was another thing that my primary did for me, again, before I even left his office.  I went directly from primary to CT.

Don't beat yourself up about starting to smoke again, even temporarily, this disease is so complex and if you hadn't previously stopped for a long time, it's understandable that you would falter a little, especially if you had just gone through a traumatic time.   I had been smoke free for 13 years prior to being diagnosed; therefore, any time I'm around a smoker OR can smell smoke on someone's clothing, I get REALLY nauseated and wonder "dummy.....why did I ever smoke, if THAT is what I smelled like".

I truly hope that you can get some relief from your symptoms, Maryterese and I hope others will reply and give you some suggestions.  All I know is what is working for me.  Where do you live, Maryterese?  I live in Denver, Colorado, USA.

• Posted

Sandy, thank you.  I live in Naples Florida, for a year now.  I lived in the Boston area most if my life.  The health care system here is bizarre.  I cannot even change doctors unless I go to a different city. Anyway, my pulse ox levels are normally 96-98, with a pulse ox they go down to 95-96 at night.  So not critical.  I have a lot of daytime sleepiness.  Was tested for sleep apnea and heard nothing.  Could it be a drop in oxygen despite my readings?  It is very strange. There are 

A

• Posted

Will write later, having trouble posting using my phone. I was going to say that there are 
    • Posted

Hi I also am 57 years old I have smoked for 25 years female I have had  sinus infections throughout the years two weeks ago I came down very sick went to the ER they took an x-ray of my chest and said I had bronchitis and beginning emphysema and my left lung ... I cannot believe this is happening to me so my doctor has put me on anabiotic's and a steroid and add add butyryl inhaler for a month until I get better clear up this infections and then they said they will put me on a maintenance program into your mantra tests on me it's a very scary thing I can feel it when I breathe it's not affecting my quality-of-life totally but it's there . I read that so many people in this forum that have this obviously and I've had it for years and there is hope it's just such a scary thing you never believe you can happen to you and the denial I have is unbelievable tell my children which are grown I will never smoke another cigarette got rid of everything to do with cigarettes in my house have not smoked for two weeks I will never smoke again either that or do I choose life ...

• Posted

Melissa, I was also diagnosed with mild emphysema 1 year ago. I immediately quit smoking when I got the news. Smoked on average 1.5 packs a day for 40 years. My diagnosis was bilateral apical emphysema. I just started on this forum and I am so thankful it is here. I am you're age 57. My symptoms are minor at this time. I am getting a new CT scan in the middle of February. It would be great to have someone to talk to that understands. Have a loving wife and she listens but since I am not having major symptoms, it is hard for her to understand. Let me know how you are doing, I will do the same.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.