New hippies and ones recovering...

Posted , 20 users are following.

Well, I have had my fair share of ups and downs on this journey and a few besides, and there were times when I thought what on earth have I done??

BUT...I have just got to that stage now that it has ALL been completely worth it. This afternoon I will be going along to my daughter's match and I will stand there for once with all the other parents cheering for my child and the team, and I will for enjoy it and not be crippled with unbearable pain like I was before.

I hop in and out of my car completely pain free, couldn't even GET in the car pre op.

Bounding up and down the stairs, not a care in the world.

Walking - no pain. Found myself running the other day without thinking! Oh the joy of it! Seriously I could cry with simply sleeping all night, and not have that terrible bone pain. I am sleeping every night all night smile

Cycling, swimming, shopping - basically I have my life back....at long last.

It is not always easy, but nowhere near as bad as I thought (I am not at all worried about my next one just to be clear) it really is okay.

Without a doubt this was the best thing I have ever done, and would do it all again tomorrow - don't delay, or waste time, take a deep breath because despite the peaks and troughs - and there will be many, it is an amazing operation, and here you will find all the love and support you need. One day you will wake up and you will be well.

Thank you all my dear hippies - for the endless care and guidance, support and love. I could not have done it without you.

(This is not my final post, just wanted to share my thanks and life to date)

17 likes, 73 replies

73 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well done Rose, this will be a great post for anyone that's not sure about having the op.  I am very nearly there.

good luck with your new life x

Lorna

• Posted

It is a new life. The old one was breaking my heart, watching my children in so much pain, trying to hobble through, terrified of the operation, terrified not to have the operation. It can be a torturous experience before the op, but once it is done there really is hope and life.

Have you had your op already?

• Posted

Yes Rose last June but still have very achy hip and leg have seen GP  and have extra physio also he thinks it's bursitis and possible tendon problem. Being erred to orthapaedic  for advice.  Still pleased I had it done but could without extra bits.  My biggest problem is not walking very far before it plays up.  But will get there in the end.

love Lorns

• Posted

What an ecouraging post Rose!

So happy you are now enjoying a pain-free life now.  Good luck.

Cels Xxx

• Posted

How are you? I am not sure I got your reply. Did you see my last message to you? I was wondering how you are.

Well I have posted my fair share of tearful posts that is for sure, and then some, and posts of despair and hopelessness, fed up, p*ssed off and everything in between....but none of it lasts forever...I really felt I needed to make the time to post how it has turned out....that the light at the end of the tunnel does become brighter and more radiant...in the end that is..

• Posted

Rose, so nice to hear this message from you. I think us humans are best at joining forums when things have gone wrong or not as expected; we get less information from those that are OK and have succesfully come through the other end, after the pain and the worry.

It is really great to see "the end of the tunnel" and have someone inform us of just how much better they are.

Well done and THANK YOU.

x

• Posted

Thanks Mark...

The forum is brilliant for information, advice and guidance you are right, and the place to come when we are feeling upset and/or in pain or just somewhere to vent where people understand completely. 

For balance, it is only right that I post when things are actually going well and when you can really see that it was worth it. Otherwise anyone could be forgiven for thinking this operation is not worthwhile, when it really is in every single way.

There are a huge parts of the day when I have even forgotten I have even had it, and that is saying something as you tend to live and breath it for a good long while...so liberation, freedom and good health really does happen for most people. 

• Posted

Dear 'Running Free and Sleeping Well',

What a lovely report to read - for all of us but especially those who have wondered whether the recovery will end and end well.

This just what we needed.

Wishing you continued good health and ... another successful recovery when you decide to do your second hip.

Thank you.

• Posted

Linda I might put that saying somewhere in my house. Running free and sleeping well....who would have thought it! Certainly not me. I was in the pitts of despair on many occasion, I actually felt downright depressed with it at different points. On reflection, I am not especially surprised we feel this way, but it is transient passing feeling for most, and one that evaporates once life returns to normal. 

I am not sure where you are on this great journey, but certainly wishing you a very successful recovery too x

• Posted

Very glad you liked the saying. I worried after that it could have offended as we don't know each other, but your post was so lovely that I needed to reply with something as light-hearted.

I am 10 weeks along with a LTHR and feeling almost smug as I rarely use my walker other than for long walks and even then, I just started using Nordic walking poles and I am getting along quite well. I still don't have much endurance and need to rest periodically but I made great progress with my exercises and I am finally beating sense into my IT band and hamstrings which have been 'behaving quite badly' (PT's expression, mine is not as polite)!

I will see my surgeon in July as my right hip needs to be done (we once considered doing then both at the same time - I feel lucky to have dodged that as I simply cannot imagine the logistics of recovery). However, it has made recovery slower as my good hip is not strong and has complained every step of the way (still does even though it has less load to carry).

So your message was well-timed - hearing how good and happy you sound with your recovery helps me considerably. I am determined to commit to my second hip and write a strong endorsement for others considering or on this journey! I have investigated stem cell cartilage regeneration which is showing enormous promise in the UK, AU and the US. Unfortunately patient trials are not far enough along in Canada where I live to be a likely viable route for me. So it is a very good thing that I have a very good surgeon who is also wonderful (he even promised to get me a consult with colleagues working on stem cell research).

So ... enough about me!

I am raising a glass of fine wine to toast you Rose - for your perseverance and success and your generousity in sharing these with us in such a lovely post.

Best wishes.

Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda,

You are doing fantastically at ten weeks! Walking is wonderful for our hips, nothing can beat it, and every day you will manage more and more. Until you no longer think about it.

I researched the stem cell route thoroughly before my replacement too, I went to the leading stem cell surgeons here in the UK. Big leaps are happening, and one day replacements will be no more thankfully, I was advised for the moment it does not work for people with arthritis (the new stem cells are attacked by the inflamation and die) or those with shallow hips etc, so we are a little way off in terms of a complete universal solution, but it is always worth keeping abreast of developments. One of these days....

The muscles are a pain in the neck, and getting them to stop playing up is never easy but they do eventually settle down when they are good and ready!

Keep us posted about your second hip replacement, good to get them out of the way I would say. Especially whilst you are all set up at home and know what you are doing. Memory fades and now I have quite happy memories of those early days for some reason!!!!! 

Wishing you the best with your recovery 

• Posted

Thank you so much for writing this post.

I am 3 weeks pre op and feeling anxious / emotional and struggling to see the postive at the end. Really helpful and reassuring-  thank you! 

• Posted

A lack of sleep, pain, no sense of day and night would make anyone anxious....but we get through it...and from three weeks you are definitely going to start feeling so much better really soon Emma. 

Big hugs to you - 

• Posted

Thank you! A great  post. This is so encouraging for everyone who is recovering (and those who are unsure whether to take the plunge)
    • Posted

I hope Holly, I loved reading encouraging posts in my early days, and thinking one day it will be me...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.