New hippies and ones recovering...

Posted , 20 users are following.

Well, I have had my fair share of ups and downs on this journey and a few besides, and there were times when I thought what on earth have I done??

BUT...I have just got to that stage now that it has ALL been completely worth it. This afternoon I will be going along to my daughter's match and I will stand there for once with all the other parents cheering for my child and the team, and I will for enjoy it and not be crippled with unbearable pain like I was before.

I hop in and out of my car completely pain free, couldn't even GET in the car pre op.

Bounding up and down the stairs, not a care in the world.

Walking - no pain. Found myself running the other day without thinking! Oh the joy of it! Seriously I could cry with simply sleeping all night, and not have that terrible bone pain. I am sleeping every night all night smile

Cycling, swimming, shopping - basically I have my life back....at long last.

It is not always easy, but nowhere near as bad as I thought (I am not at all worried about my next one just to be clear) it really is okay.

Without a doubt this was the best thing I have ever done, and would do it all again tomorrow - don't delay, or waste time, take a deep breath because despite the peaks and troughs - and there will be many, it is an amazing operation, and here you will find all the love and support you need. One day you will wake up and you will be well.

Thank you all my dear hippies - for the endless care and guidance, support and love. I could not have done it without you.

(This is not my final post, just wanted to share my thanks and life to date)

17 likes, 73 replies

73 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Rose glad to read you are now pain free and back to having a normal life, how long are you post op? I'm now 5 months and although my replacement is all ok I am still struggling with thigh/groin pains with muscles and tendons, some days it is very painful to the point of not being able to walk any distance. I was wondering if you was the same?
    • Posted

Fezz, hi, yes we are more or less the same - I am coming up for five months.

I notice when I overdo things I feel like that, when I am overstretched. It is hard to know when we are doing too much I have found until it is too late! But yes I do get muscle pain when I am doing too much definitely. 

If I am sitting, resting, sleeping, walking for short periods, normal activity it doesn't hurt. Do your muscles hurt all the time? Are you able to walk without a limp? 

• Posted

Hi Rose

My muscles do not hurt when resting or sleeping,

I can walk without a limp but only when I am not in pain with

the muscles sometimes it's in the groin or on the thigh but always

At the top of my buttock and some days it's all three locations ouch

My consultant and physio tell me it can be a long drawn out

Recovery :-(

• Posted

My pain is in the groin and the buttock too, Fezz. My hip has gone into spasm and as a result I have leg length discrepancy. So 7 and a half week post surgery I'm still on one crutch because otherwise I limp too badly
    • Posted

That is so true. The recovery does take such a long time, and different things can and do happen along the way.

I had a fall, so that didn't help, but it was fine, but it was badly bruised and the muscles very sore.

Are you having deep massage to stretch and help your muscles - my physio released a lot of my pain that way. My muscles literally locked up around eight weeks, it was painful to say the least, like a wall. The massage hurt but it did the trick.

There is a lot tissue damage and I think it plays out for a long time. Have you thought about having an MRI just to check?

The fact you can walk without a limp for some of the time, is indictive of the muscles repairing rather than torn, but it might be prudent to check.

• Posted

Annie it is not unusual to still be on crutches at seven weeks. Many if not most people are. It is better to be able to wait and walk properly than to hobble around.

My muscle went into spasm too, I was telling Fezz about it. My muscle was like concrete and was pulled so tight, it was impossible to walk properly.

My physio released it with a very deep (and painful) massage, she did it twice and within a few days the muscle started to relax. Be prepared for the massage to hurt, because they have to get into the muscle, but once it releases the relief is considerable. Regular hot presses will help too to soften and soothe.

Your leg has been to hell and back, it is having a hissy fit, it needs calm, deep and soothing care and it will get better.

• Posted

I like 'your hip is having a hissy fit' LOL. How far do you suggest I walk with this hissy hip? A kilometer? Less? More?
    • Posted

You walk as much as you are able without it hurting, once it is starts hurting it is time to rest was my motto.
    • Posted

Only by a qualified PT, certainly not a beauty therapist or someone who is not trained. 

You can massage your muscle yourself, but to actually unlock the tightness you will need someone that knows what they are doing.

It is perfectly safe with those conditions, and it really helped me no end. If you are not having physio, I would call a clinic and ask for the most senior and experienced physio therapist to see you, make sure you check they have at least ten years of assisting those recovering from hip replacements (mine has twenty two years experience) this will ensure you can be confident about your PT (I had a bad one before, who was not very helpful during my recovery) but once you get a good one they are completely priceless and usually booked solid. So call today and see what they can do, they will also help you to retrain your body to walk properly, and straighten out any issues you have.

• Posted

The hip will have numrerous hissy fits in the span of recovery, I now know to see it as such and not be clutched with fear that something is wrong with it, usually it is a very natural and normal cycle of recovery.
    • Posted

My physio did one for me, hurt like hell but hey.

Ask your physio, they maybe able to do it for you.

Suexx

• Posted

Thank you!  Going for pre op assessment tomorrow, sometimes wonder if I should go through with it?  With NSAIDs I get by reasonably well. Still working as an O.T ans walking the dog, shopping cooking etc.  But getting fed up with the endless pain. 

You have just shone a big bright light into the future. Thank you. 

X

• Posted

Ah Kris.... I was you! The endless pain was awful, and got much much worse really quickly. 

My first operation was cancelled at the last minute, and in between that happening and it being rescheduled I ended up on morphine patches and unable to function at all.. I have two young children and it was the most difficult stage of my life. It was much worse than post op that is for sure, in terms of pain and everything really. I found the worst part for me was pre op. I would not wish that on anyone...there is only one way to get better properly and that is to have a hip replacement.

If you are in good shape now, it is the best time, if you leave it too long your muscles will waste away and the recovery will take much longer, not to mention the feeling of all the pain and suffering being completely pointless because the end result is the same (as I did) I wish I knew then what I know now.

The operation really really isn't that bad at all, I was quite surprised, it is more the length of time it takes to recover more than anything I found, but it is far better to be in pain and recovering, and getting better than to be pain with endless days all being the same or worse.

I am going to have my second hip done soon, I am not worried in the least, you need a padded toilet seat, some good films and you will be just fine I promise x

• Posted

Lovely response!  I keep reading about it and looking on here and you are completely right. Of course. No point in putting it off. How the heck did you manage with small children?

again you are so right. The pain just gets worse. Completely forgotten what was like without!  Onwards and upwards. Looking forward to to a new. Hip. Like you my other hip is not wanting to be left out. So will probably need the same treatment. Really want to be family skiing again at Xmas. I know I am spoilt but it is our holiday with teenage boys and they love it!

carry on enjoying your new hip. XXX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.