New Information

Posted , 17 users are following.

Good Evening all.  I throught you guys may fine this interesting.  I could not sleep last night so I was on the computer looking at some stuff on the internet.  I found a Urology Journal and the Mayo Clinic have been reporting that there is a decline in the Turp procedures in the last 10 years. By 40%  Alot of men are looking things up and not taking there doctor word on it and it not the fix all it once was.  Sometime a turp does work but there have been many men that have to have a second turp in 3 of 6 month's.  It suppose to last 15 years.  Same with Holep after sometime you have to have a turp to clean up the mess.  Also men to not want to deal with the side effets that comes with a turp. These are some of them you may get.  Difficulty urinating, infection. dry orgams. ED. Men with large prostate have higher risk of significant blood loss.  Which require a blood transfusion.  Men are saying no to the turp and going with less invasive Procedure like Urolife, Itind, Rezum,  PAE, FLA. and not having any procedure.  Just doing CIC to deal with there problems.  In our fathers day they never talk about prostate problem.  I don't ever think that new what a prostate was.  Today men have each other and friends and family and sites like this to talk and fine out thay are not alone.  Remember what ever procedure you pick get all the information you can.  The pros and cons.  The good and bad.  You have the right to choose and don't be force my a doctor.  Take care and may all of you have a happy New year with good health  Ken    

3 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Ken, thanks for doing some research for all of us!

i think most who are connected to this site are against TURP, especially since there are so many other options, I personally am considering the PAE with dr. Bagla, just have not made any contact yet,  or possible even another urolift. Dunno yet.

i guess the TURP in its day was the only thing to turn to but thank God for those who are spearheading new possibilities!   One thing is for sure that works until the next best thing is to CIC!  And thank God for that as well!

Merry Christmas Ken, and HAPPY New Year!    Thanks again.

Anthony

• Posted

When did you have the urlift may you need more implants Have a great holiday Ken
  • Posted

Did your research turn up when TURP was first done and what happened to men prior to then. Without antibiotics prostatitis would have been cured even less than it is now.

I have seen pictures of vicious historic tools used for prostate surgery. Catheters then would have been made of rubber and it is said that gentlemen in England carried them around rolled up inside their top hats. They were soon killed off by infections.

Can you imagine what would have been written if a forum such as this had existed In those days? Perhaps then gentlemen wrote letters to the Times about it

• Posted

I'm happy Im in this time Back then it was a mess no other procedures to help men at that time.  Have a good christmas  Ken

• Posted

These Dr's have never had any prcedure done to them. Therefore they don't know the pain that will come before and after the surgery. I had the REZUM done a week and a half ago. I had to be put to sllep because I could't take the pain.  The Dr said its not that bad. I asked are you having it done? Are we in a 3rd world country he said no, so he stopped and rescheduled to have it done.

Now that I have had it done, I am worst off than ever in my life. He didn't tell me the after effects and how long it would take to recover. I'm 58 and retired part time. So I haven't been able to go back to my part time job and life is more stressful now than before. They wanted to put the cath back in for the third time and I said NO way.  He said I could self cath and I said have you put something up your penis before??

So I'm dealing with having to sit down and pee cause it hurts so bad to go.  Everyone has told me it will get better in time but this wasen't what I was hopeing for................... I have to pee ever hour and all night long so my fife is hell......

Think twice before having this tretment. I was told this isn't the norm. But this is how I am.......... Have a awesome holiday, I want.

• Posted

You already experience pain and suffering and you can imagine how much pain will be if you have to go for second or third procedure to fix your problem. More and more suffering. 

My advice to anyone with LUTS problems is:

FIX IT ONCE, FIX IT FOR GOOD.

Turp is not that bad as Kenneth is writing about it and he never had it done or experienced it first hand.

I had it done in June and it was not bad at all.

And it works. 

Marry Christmas and happy New year to everyone.

MK

• Posted

Yes I think any procedure you have you should be put to sleep.  Most of the time you don't want to be there so put me out so I don't feel anything.  I know I have to have a repair done.  One of the implants came loose.  He try to fix it in the office and you kept poking my prostate.  It hust I told him to stop. Have bleeding for 6 hours with spasms.  Take care  ken

• Posted

MK  Yes that is true I  have not had that done. And I never will.  And it does work for some.  But others it has not.   That is why there is a decline having it done. And some urologist are realizing this.  Also I know that the turp that they do now is not what they did years ago it has improved.  But I'm happy there are new procedure that give us more options.   I'm happy you had a good outcome but there are many men on here that have had to have more then one.  What you are saying is ture Fix the problem with whatever you think will fix you.  What is good for one man may not be good for others. Don't let any doctor keep doing procedure on you telling you this will work when 3 to 6 month's later you have the same problem.  Thats not right..  Take care and have a good holiday  Ken 

• Posted

BPH is only one of many causes of LUTS.
    • Posted

Leon, sorry to hear that happened I almost considered REZUM as the Uro that is head of the department of UT Southestern was pushing it. I would never do TRUP I wacthed a friend bleed for 4 day in the hospital with that. 

Nope, I went FLA this week on Monday. Drove home finally yesterday and that was a 6 hour drive from Houston. Catheter came out this morning which was 5 days post op. Took it out myself and nothing to it.  I am  swollen but I am peeing about 200cc now every 2 hours. Not sure how or when I will be happy but believe I will be. 

The procedure was nothing and I cannot remember anything. They use a concious sedation medicine like what you get in a colonoscopy. I remember signing paper and then they woke me up to leave. We went to eat seafood on the way to the hotel. 

They really took out a lot of tissue. The Doctor came to my hotel the night of the surgery with his laptop and showed me, my wife and my Dad the picture results of the procedure and my prostate after the removal of all the tissue. He claims in a month to two months I will be peeing like I am 18. I know he did not hurt the important things as 3 of the last 5 days I have had an erection already. That was a shock.

Since the day of the porcedure Dr. Kar a main ian has called us everyday after he has left his office to check on us. It has been very comfroting to havre that attention. I ask him if they do that for all patient and he said most of his cases of focal laser ablations are for Cancer and he is just use to doing it as Cancer patient are going through a lot and need the extra support. I told him how much it had helped me and my wife as we were scared daily about this thing. I am not sure Dr. K  will call tonight as he has left for vacation to visit his family in Florida.  Last night in our talk, he explained what to do if I swell up inside again and the urerthra is clamped shut from inflamaion. He told my wife went it would be appropriate to take me to ER and exactly what to tell them to do and not to do. He gave us his cell phone and said if you get into situation you call my cell phone direct not matter what day no matter what time. This made me feel great about the money I spent on this procedure.

Not sure of where it goes from here but I no I have a great doctor. If anyone wants picture from the before and after of my prostate in which you can see what they removed around the urethera and up where the bladder was pushed up, just personal message me and I have a copy I can send of before and after side by side. It is pretty amazing to see the difference. MY Prostate was 125 cc before the procedure. 

• Posted

Good doctor are hard to find.  I have one h great  en
    • Posted

Completely agree a lot of minimally invasive procedure is temporary bridge to TURP, Holep or Green Laser.

Rezum in my opinion has too many irritative symptoms and significant swelling of urethra without opening it up. That is why so many patients have acute urinary obstruction. Either physicians has to come up with use of Prednisone or other anti inflammatory agents or educate patients how to self catheterise themself.

• Posted

I was told by the dr to try and live with it. This is the first day I have tried to work my part time job and it was been very stressful.
    • Posted

Thanks Ken. Have a aesome holiday
    • Posted

Would love to see the before and after pictures. I am trying to decide between FLA and PAE, and recently heard about UROLIFT so need to research that.

I know I never want to even consider the old "roto-rotor"type procedure.

• Posted

Richard.  John sent me the pictures.  The doctor did what he said you was going to do.  And he stayed away from all the important stuff.  Send him your email.  I had the urolift about 20 month's ago  works great.  Had 4 implants..  Before you decide get all the imformation you can on them.  Take care  Ken . 

• Posted

Is there a way to send private email on this site or did you just put your email in the forum?Thanks,
    • Posted

Richard. Yes there is BUT instead of trying to explain it in text, I will personal message you my email and my phone number. You can respond to my personal message I send you with your email. Then I can send you the pictures on your email. You should receive the personal message in just a minute.
    • Posted

Richard, I have just sent you all contact info. you can email me now or you can PM me in reply to the personal message I sent you. To send the pictures I need your email. I also included my cell number as you can call me with any question I dont mind.

John 

• Posted

Sent you the info in a personal message you can open it and answer it with your email address and I will send the pictures. 
    • Posted

I had the TURP done on me and Im sorry to say but my enjoyment of sex is a total disaster after the TURP . Before the TURP it was fantastic. I would warn everybody who are still enjoying sex never to undergo a TURP. What can you do if youre doctor tells you that the sex will feel exactly the same and then it is not even remotely the same. You cannot reverse the procedure after its done and the only thing you can thats left to do is to realise that you will never enjoy sex again..It works for some men but definitely not for me. The biggest mistake Ive made in my life.  
    • Posted

Then its not for me, I's so sorry that has happened to you. What does the dr have to say that happened???

• Posted

Sorry Wally  But that is what happen most of the time.  The doctor is only giving you a text book answer.  Thay never know what will happen till it's done and they it's to late  Take care  Ken

• Posted

The doctor of course never heared of a patient with this problem before and told me to  find myself another urologist. He also dont seem to know the difference between a climax and an erection. I must admit I kept on going back to him till he couldnt handle it anymore as another urologist told me to keep on going back till he understands my problem. I cant understand how a urologist dont know about sexual problems after the TURP operation as a friend of mine who are studying for a doctor brought me a copy of an article out of the medical library written in 1996 and in that article , a urologist describe the sexual problems that everybody knows about but research strangely enough never seems to discover the problems. So a urologist can tell you that everything will be exactly the same because they have the research to back them. They of course dont have to listen to unhappy clients or they also dont seem to read about the problems on the web sites. Mayo clinic and most other websites will tell you that the climax is the same. Definitely not in my case. My urologist told me to go to another urologist but the damage is done and they cant do anything about it now. .
    • Posted

Wally & Leon.... Doctor do not recoqnize a mans ejaculation has a sexual function.  When you read any articel they tell you that your sexual function will be same they are only looking at the erection.  They feel that at our age being we are not having kids we don't need it anymore. And that the orgasm will be the same.  In principal yes.  But that is only a text book answer.  At least 10 of the surgerys for BPH a man will get reto and and his orgasm will change most of the time.the doctors don't care.  They fix one problem and if anything else comes up they tey will fix or try to fix that problem.  It's just a circle.  Just get all the information you can...Ken   PS  When my doctor put me on flomax and rabiflo.  When I had my first orgams after I was on it .  I got the builted up and then it was flat no feeling at all.  And with nothing coming out.  It was like I did not do anything at all.  I got off that fast.     

• Posted

Kenneth, you are completely right about that issue with MOST Doctors.

I use to believe it was every one of them.

I am one week through the Focal Laser Ablation procedure this morning. I still have a small amount of blood in the urine but in total it has not been much blood the whole experience. Less than 5 m in total.

Last night was a breakthrough as my urine flow as it increased. I am now getting up only 3 times a night and that is improving. Dr Karmanian has called me every evening accept Christmas Day to check on me and he did call again last night. He told me that the flow increase was a sign of the inflamation changing and the swelling  would subside slowly over the next 60 days and I would see improvement along the way but it would keep on happening. He ask me if I had tried sex yet and ejaculation.  I told him NO my penis is ready and I am locked and loaded as I am have erections nightly, but I do not want to ejaculate too soon. I can wait until the tissue heals. He said to go ahead and get my feet wet (no pun intended) any time I feel ready. I ask him what would happen and he said, "well we (meaning Doctor's) don't really know the exact reaction you will have in any given case either emotionally or physically but, it will not harm you or the prostate if you want to proceed". I said I am not ready for any possible blood or the sensation just yet.  I feel let's give it 30 days. Karmanian said he could not wait that long himself. But, he is young and I am scared.

I am blessed to have a doctor who is honest, and communicates the full true facts to a patient and that cares enough to go through this with me. I ask him how many people he calls each night and he told me right now he has 6 patients he is monitoring daily along with his regular load. He said that it is important to him to support them in the post op healing process especially the PCa patients. He said he will now slow down on checking on me as the frist week is over and he told me I will do fine. He said call me 24/7 with any questions or needs and I will check back with you in a few days.  He told me that I am an "over achiever" and the problem for those type personalities is that I need to learn to wait and be calm and stay patient. Let the body heal. I dont have to go back to the warehouse for work or lift anything  until next Tuesday so I have a week to lay around and get better. I am starting to be confident that this will work well. I want to retire next year at 66 and I don't want to retire with these BPH symptoms.

Here is to a great new year for all of us. I wish I could personally help every man on this Thread as I know how bad this condition treats us all. One day I hope there is the perfect solution. 

John

• Posted

John  When your ready you will know.  But your doctor told you it would be ok.  He want to make you happen and he wants you to feel good.  Wait another week for a go through.  Your prostate needs to be cleaned.  It keeps the blood floing.  When I had my urolift I had a catheter for 3 days and I waited another 2 days.  To try it out.  I was worried because I never had anything thing like that done to me.  It was all good.  Had no blood in the semen.  Relax and enjoy your self.  You have a good doctor and I would trust him to know what is right.  I trust my urologist.  He will never do anything to me that I am not into 100%.  When I see him he is with me for at least 30 minutes and he will answer my questions.  I can also email him and he get back to me withing 24 hours.  He is a busy man and very good for is young age of 38.  I feel young doctor care more about there patients then older doctors.  Take care and have a good new years.  The MRI pictures were very interesting and it showed what he did and the way he did it.  He missed all the importent parts so you will have a good life     
    • Posted

I don't know but there have been a few men on here that after a holep they had to have a turp to clean up the mess.  I would leave them alone and do something else  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.