New Information

Posted , 17 users are following.

Good Evening all.  I throught you guys may fine this interesting.  I could not sleep last night so I was on the computer looking at some stuff on the internet.  I found a Urology Journal and the Mayo Clinic have been reporting that there is a decline in the Turp procedures in the last 10 years. By 40%  Alot of men are looking things up and not taking there doctor word on it and it not the fix all it once was.  Sometime a turp does work but there have been many men that have to have a second turp in 3 of 6 month's.  It suppose to last 15 years.  Same with Holep after sometime you have to have a turp to clean up the mess.  Also men to not want to deal with the side effets that comes with a turp. These are some of them you may get.  Difficulty urinating, infection. dry orgams. ED. Men with large prostate have higher risk of significant blood loss.  Which require a blood transfusion.  Men are saying no to the turp and going with less invasive Procedure like Urolife, Itind, Rezum,  PAE, FLA. and not having any procedure.  Just doing CIC to deal with there problems.  In our fathers day they never talk about prostate problem.  I don't ever think that new what a prostate was.  Today men have each other and friends and family and sites like this to talk and fine out thay are not alone.  Remember what ever procedure you pick get all the information you can.  The pros and cons.  The good and bad.  You have the right to choose and don't be force my a doctor.  Take care and may all of you have a happy New year with good health  Ken    

3 likes, 59 replies

Report / Delete

59 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had TURP 11/08/16 - 46 days ago.  I sit here thankful that I had the procedure.  20 days after turp surgery I did have a blockage and was passing some fresh blood.  Back to the hospital for three days with the cath to flush the bladder and ut.  Since, my pee has been clear, I get up once and sometimes twice during the night.  On average I pee about every three hours now during the day with an excellent stream and empty.  I was able to have sex two nights ago, first time in close to a year.  No retro, the ejaculant exited the way nature intended with more force and liquid than I remembered.  I am 70 years old, peeing and the sex is like I'm in my 30's.  Now I know TURP is not for everyone but for me it worked.  How long it will last is anybodys guess.  Talk to your doctor, if you don't like his options find another doctor and decide what is best for you.  I don't know how long my turp will last nor do I know how long I will live.  My doc told me in about 10 or so years expect to need another redo of the turp.  I'll decide at that time if that will be the right procedure.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Like I told you Joe  I am happy for you.  You are one of the lucky ones.  Maybe it will last longer.  I'm not saying anything bad about turp  That is the procedure you pick.  I was just saying that there is a decline in the procedure.  There are so many to pick from now.  Most men are going for the less invasive procedure because of the side effects.  Your the one that has to deal with anything bad that comes from it.  But it is good for you.  There are men that are not so lucky.  Enjoy for new found youth  Happy Holiday to you and your wife  Ken

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It's good that any information about the different way prostate problems can be handled.  I may have chosen different if I had known all that was out there, as it was I was aware of three different procedures.  Could be that's all my doc would preform but the number of turp procedures he preformed led me in that direction.  You are correct, knowledge of what is out there is the key.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am part of Aquablation v Turps study which has been very successful for me. Although the choice of op is random and I will not be told for 3years, which procedure I have had based ,on others in my group I am convinced I have had the Aquablation. I have had no pain and very little discomfort,after one month now back to normal with normal sperm production.If you can wait until 2017 when it may be available I would .see the animated process on You Tube.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Good luck to you.  I hope you were one that had the Aquablation.  I would never do anything blind.  If you are having a normal ejaculation you may have had a Aquablation or you could have been lucky there is a 5% chance with a turp you still have a ejaculation Only time will tell Ken
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Kenneth, I just did a couple of hours digging into this Aquablation and it sounds promising. I will make a point to you that I know you will appreciate. This is new, it is driven by the powerful urological groups and it now is taking registration for approximately 20 funded clinical trials. Isnt it amazing that the  Uro's can get the funding from the hospitals and the equipment companies very easily but the Interventional Radiologist and get spit from the funding groups.    Politics. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I am happy that they are coming up with new procedures.  Going to look into it it later. Yes I guest that the way the FDA works  Just came back from the eye doctor.  Had my eyes dialited and everything a little out of focus.  Take care buddy  Good health for the new year  Ken
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I was going to lay down but got up anyway..  I read 8 articles on this new procedures.  7 of them said the same thing.  that it perserve sexual funtions.  One articel said that there was no loss in ejaculatory or erectile functions in this study.  This one was in Califoria. But most of the trials are out of state.  The only problem I find in this is it will be how good your doctor is and how care full he does the procedure.  The jet will get rid of the tissue but if he is in a rush he can distroy the ejacutatory duck and the bladder neck.  If he does this you will end up with retro just like the other procedures  Take care  Ken 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

There is another new one that you can Google as I can't post a link to it.

Now a new implant, the iTind, is designed to relieve symptoms with, the manufacturers say, fewer risks

The experimental device is a tiny wire basket made from an alloy of nickel and titanium which is inserted into the urethra towards the bladder during a simple five-minute operation under local anaesthetic.

The basket gradually expands to the size of a 10p coin once inside the body, and exerts pressure on the prostate at three precise points over five days.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes Derek that's right I for got to put it down when I did the post.  It stayed in for 5 days and they it is taking out.  Also  FLA has been working for some men  Take it easy Ken

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey Beachboy.  I just look at a video of the Aquablation.  To me after they showed what was done they was a big hole where the prostate was.  This procedure has the same look as a turp but it is done with water.  They showed the Aquablation and a turp picture side by side and there was no difference.  I hope you don't lose what you have now because you may end up with retro.  They did not save anything.  There would be no way I would take that chance with my prostate.  Good luck  Ken 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

How long ago did you have your procedure? I looked into aquablation trials in my area but they're not taking any more people. Any idea when this might be offered as a regular procedure

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up