New Intense Pain 10 weeks Post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi everyone 

in the past few days my pain on my surgery site below the ankle ands side of foot has developed new pain I'd say a 8-9 that's caught me by surprise. Has any of you had this happen. I know with new physio treatments being more intense I'm thinking is the cause. I'm trying to get relief but even my Meds are barely touching it. Any suggestions, thoughts etc. greatly appreciated.  Thanks ankle biters......

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I injured my ankle 5 yrs ago, broke 3 bones the one in the middle right off, I had 63 physical therapy visits, 3 surgeries screw & plates, pain meds, I have a special ankle brace made which helps a lot, i ice it every night and also use heat, I soak it in Epson salt too, I keep it raised on pillows when I sleep and I rub it a lot too, keep the circulation going, good luck
    • Posted

Hi Tammy 

thanking you for your post. I'm feeling like since  Physio 3 weeks that my left outside heel ankle has smething digging. I'm seeng her today and will mention again otherwise I will go back to the surgeon. It hurts like hell and making rehab hard. I'm soaking, massaging etc so time will tell.  Enjoy your day 👣

• Posted

Oh Dear Jannie, I hope the pain improves soon.   I'm a good month behind you so have not much to offer.   I got intense pain straight after they put the new cast on when they took the stitches out and manipulated the ankle.   The pain was bad for well over a week, almost 2 weeks, but has settled now and improves each day.   From  what I've read on other's posts, it seems to me that every time we do something different  - physio or re-casting, it can set off a new bout of pain.  

In my 63 years of life, I've broken my arms many times, my leg twice, had a dislocating knee for years, a plate put in my broken collar-bone, a total knee replacement, ligament reconstruction, but this ankle stuff seems to be in a class of it's own with no clear guidelines of what to expect, what's normal, and the pain is different to anything else - it's often weird and scary pain yes?   I hope yours settles soon Jannie.

• Posted

Hi Syneig 

thanks for your kind post, God you've had your trials, yes ankles are  in a class of their own. Who knew??  Im projecting a year as Paul has mentioned as with 10 weeks post op im hoping walking in a walker will be by spring??  Right now m just wanting to keep my pain down and Spirits UP. Your right wth new pain with each new thing happening.  M tired f my feet taking centre stage perhaps d better get a costume for them..haha. Take good care, enjoy your day......👣💃🏃

• Posted

Hi Jannie,

I'm so sorry you are experiencing that type of pain. I did have increased pain at about your time after physio.  It was more pain than I'd had the entire time.  I called and went back to the doctor.  They xrayed it and told me to go back into the boot for 3 days.  I think it's part of the breaking up of the scar tissue.  You have been so patient with this and I know how wearing it is to have ongoing pain and then have it be worse.  It will get better.  Mentally, I'm finally feeling like there's going to an end to this.  And physically I think I've made some progress, but I didn't go to PT at all last week so maybe it's because no one is pulling on it.  Anyway, I evidently needed the break.  Let us know what happens at your doctors appointment.  Wishing you all the best!

• Posted

Hey Jannie,

I was thinking of you and wondering how you are doing and how your doctors appt. went. Best wishes,

Linda

• Posted

Yes Jannie - how is the pain now, after 7 days?
    • Posted

Hello Linda, syneid

im overwhelmed and thank you for checking in. I've been diagnosed with CRPS complex regional pain syndrome which explains my pain being up full time. It's from the nervous system and the pain throttle is on full speed ahead. It can spread and at this stage I'll be intense therapy in water, physio and pain management. I'm not sure how long it takes and if I can break the cycle but if you google you'll see there is no actual cure so I'm going have to muster up all my strength to move forward. I don't know what else to tell you but if anyone out there has heard of this and treatment I'd be happy to hear them. I'm going start a blog here on CRPS to see if there others on here. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you being here, hugs Jannie ✨ enjoy your day! 

• Posted

Hi Jannie,

I am so sorry to hear that. I don't know much about it, but I will look it up. Did they tell you to take the Gabapentin. I was hoping your pain was part of moving the ankle. Are there other treatments, like nerve blocks or ultrasound?  Are you in extreme pain today? I'm praying for you and I have a feeling this is going to go away.

Big Hugs, Linda

• Posted

Thanking you Linda, prayers always welcome. I see my GP next week for a plan it's pretty vague but nerve blocks, water, desensitizing, accupuncture, massage the list goes n. There is no cure but remission which is my goal. I'm pretty down today but know I'm rallying for better days ahead. I'm in pain constant but stress is definitely not a helper. Taking some homeopath remedies to support me right now. No gabbpentin but the cream may be up the road. At square one........you take good care, I'm in Facebook Janice Pawlik..........keep you posted as you.......xo 
    • Posted

Hi Jannie,

I'm sorry that you feel down, but this whole thing has been tough and I'm sure having increased pain is overwhelming. Is the pain over any of the hardware?  Just wondering if it has anything to do with it.  My nerve pain is over the hardware and rotating my ankle seems to rile it up. Have you tried the lidocaine patch?  I have been using it and it does seem to help.  They can be cut in pieces any size you want. I looked for  you on fb, but I didn't see a way to friend you on your site.  My fb is under Linda Anderson Rebber.  I'm watching the debate.  I imagine you get a lot of our crazy politics.  I looked up Kootenay and it looks beautiful.  I've been to Banff, Canada several times.  How far are you from Portland, Oregon?  Wishing you a peaceful night.  Hugs, Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda 

do you have lots of dogs on your fb dint know if that's you ? We're 12 hours from Banff - w.Kooten is 5 hours from Spokanr. We're planning a trip with our dog to Oregon next year. I'd love to talk about beach places, looking at Rockaway right now. My pain is under my hardware I outside ankles the sprained foot is also flared up. Been researching CRPS and just trying to get over the diagnosis shock. I've got a good team of Dr so go next week for a plan of pain mgt and treatments. I'll see what she says about the lidocaine I'm going try anything about now. Yes we get your debates too, and it's pretty interesting and scary at the same time. Look forward to taking again. Enjoy your weekend. Hugs Jannie 

• Posted

I would love to see up in your area, too. I do have a little doggie, but he's not on my page much.  He is a 23 pound mini aussie. He has one blue and one brown eye with a mottled coat, quite handsome little man. His name is Quiqley, he's become our little love bug.  My husband has had to do all the walking of late.  I'm hoping I can go on a short dog walk myself.  I cancelled my PT today, I was too sick with cold symptoms, coughing and runny nose.  I haven't been in 2 weeks now.  I have to say I have less pain not going there.  Are you able to walk in the airboot?  Can you take it off? I took some cough syrup with phenergan and codeine and I think it's making me tired.  I guess I'll go to bed.  Hope you're doing ok.  LInda
    • Posted

Hi again 

Where did you get treatment and what kind of water therapy

I pray for help and strength! 

Best, 

Colleen 

• Posted

Hi Jannie, I was wondering what helped with CRPS as I was diagnosed with this too. It's quite scary. 

Hope you are doing better. 

With prayers of hope, 

colleen 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.