New knee

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all I am new to the group and am now 3 weeks post op following full knee replacement. Just wondering if you have any advice on how to reduce swelling please. I doint sleep much ans try to do my exercises but theres not a lot of guidance form the nhs on what to do!!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ice up to 20 minutes every couple of hours, elevate up on pillows but dont put pillow directly under joint, rest and take anti-inflammatory tablets. It takes a good while to go down - is worse after exercise and in the evenings. I also use the bio -oil and a bit of a massage seems to help. I remember it was like a football at three weeks but now is normal size. Still gets a bit swollen when overused. Am 18 weeks. Think swelling started to go at about 6-8 weeks. Good luck
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice, it certainly feels and looks like a football! I use bio oil and its amazing stuff but not sure where to massage exactly, is it my knee cap?
    • Posted

All round the sides front and back top and bottom even calf and thigh muscles
    • Posted

ok thank you, sounds like hard work, but Ill give it a go if it helps
  • Posted

ice it as much as you can especially after excersises ,and put it up for awhile other than that it can take months to reduce when you think how much tissue and the rest they had to go through when replacing the knee it makes sense that it would swell as long as its not hot and red it will go down its self if its warm thats ok as for sleep join the gang sleep is a luxury  ha!! good luck it seems your doing great welcome
    • Posted

Thank you , I think im probably trying to run before I can walk lol, I push myself hard and try to stay motivated, but get so tired. StillI I guess its early days.
  • Posted

I, too am 3 weeks post full knee replacement and I was told to massage firmly on and around the scar(even though it hurts like hell!!!),pressing as much as I could bare(not sure which is the right bare/bear!!!) but I was told both by nursing staff and physio to use E45 cream. And to always apply the ice after massaging and exercising and more often if it feels hot or uncomfortable. Mine is still warm most of the time but not as hot as it was. As for sleeping, I got practically no sleep at first  but now am beginning to get about 5 hrs but with a toilet break in that. When I wake up after about 4.30am I become so uncomfortable that I need to get up. 

How are you managing walking about? Have you got over the tearful days yet? I think at last I have. This is a great place to find answers and it's good to talk to people who are going through the same thing as you. Good luck in your recovery. 

• Posted

Hi thank you for your reply, this site is great to use as you say its good to know Im not on my own. It is 5 am and I have just got up as Im so uncomfortable in bed, but dont feel quite so stiff this morning. I set myself targets to try and exercise at least 10 minutes every hour. Then ice with ( knee peas). I think have cabin fever lol as Im not used to being home all the time, Im usually an active person!I walk with 1 crutch in the day but tend to use 2 when Im tired. And yes I do get tearful days when Im frustrated and wish Id never had the op! But hopefully things will get better. Let me know how you get on.
    • Posted

sorry to hear you are feeling frustrated, we have all been there,tears and all, and I reckon at some point we all wish we had not bothered with the op, I promise you it will get better,6 weeks was a big turning point for me, although I feel far from back to normal I no longer wish I hadnt bothered, hang on in there, it sounds as though you are doing all the right things,best wishes to you and stay in touch
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I've just spent the afternoon in bed and actually slept about 1 1/2 hrs but woke up really tearful and worried my husband will get fed up of me being like this. Thought I'd passed the tearful stage but it's sort of sprung up on me again. Sitting here writing this with tears streaming down my face. I'm really fed up. Everyone says I'm doing really well but that sort of puts me under pressure to do more. I tell everyone I'm doing fine  and it's only on here that I can let it all out. Well enough of that time to get up again(and clean the drips off my iPad ) and go back downstairs. 
    • Posted

Hi Prue, my heart goes out to you as I know exactly how you feel. Dont be pressurised by others, give yourself small goals to achieve and then when you reach them you will feel better. I am really struggling with my right leg, cant lift it all, feel such an idiot, but I know it will get better. My husband is a rock, but like you I worry that he is probably sick and tired of me moaning and groaning, cant wait for a bit of independance and be able to drive again! Hang on in there hun and stay in touch xx
  • Posted

Oh, I forgot to say,  two of the things you hear most is that "everyone is different" and "it's early days yet". But it is true. 
  • Posted

Hi Jackie,  I am also 3  wks  after Bilateral total knee replacements, and travelling really well.  At my first Physio session I was given a lymphatic system massage which stimulates the system to reduce bruising and swelling, carrying away the waste, and this worked a treat for me. I do it at home as well as I can manage every couple of days. The trick is to massage gently in one direction from your feet to the groin. The lymph system is just below the skin so light massage with your fingertips is sufficient.  Start at the groin to activate / unblock the nodes, then massage your thighs from the knee to the groin to clear any waste build up near the nodes.  Then massage around the knee, again in the one direction, using your thumb to work the areas of most swelling. I have some very hard swollen areas at the side of the knee which are quite difficult to move, though they are gradually responding.  Massage up the thighs again to keep things moving. Then the part you might need help with depending on your flexibility.  Massage the feet and ankles, then gradually work your way up the calves, concentrating on gentle massage on areas of bruising.  I had huge bruises on my calves which have now cleared up really well.    

This has worked really well for me, and I no longer get swelling in my feet and ankles ( unless I am naughty and do too much). then rest, elevation and ice, and a light massage as above and the swelling is gone.  Swelling on the knees is still a work in progress, but the stiffness I did have around the knees is much relieved.

even if this massage technique doesn't relieve your swelling, it is bound to make your legs feel really refreshed and relaxed.  

Even better if you have someone to do it for you so you can just relax and enjoy.

put your feet up afterwards to allow gravity to help the movement in the lymph system.  

Hope this helps, it has been great for me.

good luck

alison

• Posted

Hi Alison, thank you for your reply,sounds like you are doing really wellsmile, I will try the massage definitly, you make it sound so simple when it is explained poroperley.Am going to an exercise class today Iin the hospital so will keep you posted. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Jacki,  added bonus....using a non greasy moituriser / hydration cream while massaging does wonders for your legs. My skin hasen't looked so young and shiny for ages....apart from the knees, my legs look great...and believe me they were very dry and flaky looking before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.