New knee clicks

Posted , 10 users are following.

In the last few days my knee has started to click when I bend it, I am 4 weeks post op and doing well with an exercise, elevate and ice 3 times daily, still have swelling and tightness but I've been told that this is to be expected at this point. The click is confusing and worrying me has anyone else experienced this? Cheers

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Also, I forgot to mention that I have developed sharp pain across top of and back of knee when I am doing the knee bends...pain seems to change all the time....so not too worried about this but it would be interesting to know others pain experience thanks
  • Posted

Yes knee click is common I asked doctor about this too
    • Posted

Really good to know this you make it sound like they have now gone.....is this right?  My tightness is more on one side than the other and I'm worrying it's pulling the joint when I exercise! 
  • Posted

That's normal. I remember it from the last one. I'm 5 wks po now and nothing this time but tightness. I'll be happy to hear the clicking agai. I go fo post op X-rays tomorrow. You're doing well. 
    • Posted

Well thanks and are you saying clicking goes or its normal? Good luck with you post op X-ray 
  • Posted

It goes away, once the mussel s and ligaments heal and can support the new joint. 
  • Posted

It's a common thing, not everyone, but many experience it. Everything has to tighten up, soft tissue wise, for the joint to operate properly and quietly. Sometimes it's months going away and other times a few weeks. This rehab is a strange animal as you think you are past some phase and a few weeks later, it's back. Maybe only for a few day then again, a few weeks. Just stay with the program and at some point it will go away. I am assuming you will get periodic xrays throughout your checkup period. Any malfuntion of the.joint will show up there. Unusual Heat, drainage, fevers and that sort of thing should be dealt with immediately through your closest emergency room.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply I don't have such reassurance here just the occasional physiotherapy. I'm glad you mentioned the reappearance of symptoms already conquered returning that's started to happen too.... I will just plough on with rehab with more confidence now thanks Good luck with your own journey
  • Posted

Hi, don't worry Suki, mine started about 4 weeks out, I'm 8 weeks now. I asked the surgeon when at my check up and he said its fine. I can wiggle the kneecap when sat down, it's not painful but it does worry you. Just plod on, do your exercises, rest and ice. Good luck.
    • Posted

Precisely Lucy! I was feeling quite confident with my progress and then this turned up. It seems that my muscles on the left side are much tighter than the ones on the right so I was beginning to think that I was damaging the joint but so many people now say they have experienced clicks I feel much more confident. Thanks and good luck with your journey
  • Posted

Mine too.  Totally normal.  Try walking with some friends and having them ask "What's that damn clicking sound?" 
    • Posted

Clicking started about 6 weeks post-op.  Comes and goes.  Happens more whn I'm sitting for a long time, get up, feel the stiffness and hear the clicks.  Seem to go away when I'm more active.  Have no idea if they'll ever fully go away.  Doc said that it's a "mechanical device"..."What do you expect?"  As along as the clicks and pops mean nothing, I'm ok with that.  For me, it's all about getting full range of motion back.  Check my thread "Zero Degrees!!!". 
  • Posted

Just a short note. I was told that the clicking is normal. Some days I click and then some days I don't but don't worry about it.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it so how far along are you then?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.