New lap chole patient

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all,

I had a lap chole yesterday to remove my gallbladder after years of messing about with it (long boring story).

im very glad it's out, but I'm in a bit more pain than i thought i would be, and I just want to see if anyone else had anything similar - so I know it's just me being a wimp, and nothing I should worry about!

The op was apparently a little more complicated because of quite a lot of adhesions, and my gallbladder being bigger than usual and more full of stones, so they had to fiddle about with it to get it out.  Can't really remember exactly what, I was a bit out of it!

I got out of theatre at 2pm, drank straight away, no nausea, no pain, nothing at all.  Home by 5:30pm.  All good.

7pm, bit of discomfort.  Took painkillers.

9pm definitely pain now, not discomfort.  

Its now 6am and I still can't sleep!  I'm VERY swollen over the gallbladder area. And that's where the pain is - radiating round the right side, through to my back, and into my upper back.  Liver area VERY tender to touch.

occasional shoulder tip pain from the gas, but this pain is constant. No pain at all over wounds sites, just a tiny bit of leaking.

im slightly better sitting up, but not enough to sleep, lying on my back is almost OK, but can't lie on either side.

no nausea, no vomiting, eating is absolutely fine - it's just this pain!  I'm tired and I want to sleep!

Anyone else had anything similar, and will I be able to sleep soon?

should be getting a call from the nurses today, so I will ask them - but sometimes it's just nice to know you're not alone.

thank you

Rachel

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Rachel

How are you has the pain eased off now?

Hope you had a relaxing Sunday and you are continuing to heal

Thanks TL

• Posted

Thanks for all the good wishes everyone.

I'm going to have another week off work, just to let everything heal properly before I go back.  

Generally doing OK, just waiting for these wounds to heal.  But still so very, very, very glad to be rid of my gallbladder!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.