New life!

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi I am very new to all this and I hope by admitting I have a problem is a good start! I've always loved a drink labelled the party girl of the group since a young age! When I wasabout 30 I lived alone (with my young son) for the first time and I discovered wine. That really spiralled and I have to say I still don't drink as much now as I did then! That was at least a bottle a day. Now I almost never drink Monday to thursday and I know some would say that's a good start and I'm quite proud. However I am 45 this year and for at least the past year I cannot remember getting home after a night out. I just don't know when to stop, I've worked out I'm consuming 4-6 bottles of a weekend and my Mondays to Thursday are either being down after drinking or waiting til Friday when I can have a drink! I've tried counting drinks and going for the smaller glass option but they both fall to the way side after the first few, I am not sure if I'm ready to give up but after getting married to a lovely man last October (half of the wedding eve I sadly can't remember) I know I need to change. My problems are my mum is an alcoholic and we don't speak my dad is suffering from dimentia and my sister point black hates drinking ! Who do I speak to??? Oh dear, crying as I type, I'm hoping to get some support on here from you lovely people, my husband is wonderful but he is happy with the one glass of wine and just doesn't get it. I am therefore crying for some help ? I have decided to start with a drinking diary, anyone tried this? 

Much love Rachel xx 

4 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I must admit that i am out of the habit of doing the diary but replying to these posts i think i will start again as it really did help

also, when having help from counsellor i was able to refer to my diary and she could identify trends

saying this, i must admit that i have had 24 units today and feel fine typing; i also had 23 units between 11.30 p.m - 2 a.m last night - i know the pattern, shouldn;t call it hare of the dog but bascially it is a pattern.

As a meticulous person i would go as far as saying that i may even do graphs / spreadsheets to compare weekly units - like a weight chart

at the moment i m tenidng to buy 13% bottles of wine for £5 cause its easy to, i should start to set limits per day but see alochol as my medication for back / neck problems

anyway; i would say a diary is the way forward but you have to share it with someone to gain support, hope this helps

• Posted

Ahh bless you, it's a hard life long struggle, when I think of it like that though it scares me so much so I am trying to take the advice of one day at a time, I'm also using a timer (on my mobile) and have set it to 45 mins in which time I am NOT allowed another drink, it's helping me at the moment anyway and only 6 units tonight and I'm ready for bed and really don't need anymore (believe me this def is not normally the case)

Good luck, keep in touch 👍

• Posted

Hi rachel.its easy to say well just one more day... But it never works. It's always one more day. Ask your husband to lock the drink away. Don't slip out to buy just one bottle.. 

i managed to just drink lime and soda for three months. It didn't matter what I asked for that's what I got. But slipped back into a ottilengi a day .. Now trying very hard to stop.. Do you want to keep in touch and stop together ?

• Posted

Sorry to but in...but I am curious to know what ottilengi is, never heard of it before.

Pat xxxx

• Posted

Hi thanks for your contact I am actually doing my own reduction in alcohol, I'm personally not ready to stop and there's so much help and books on reducing and that it can be successful, I can't guarantee it will work but I'm really going to try, just back from my first social event and had just one glass 👍👍

Good luck to you and always here for a chat ❤️

• Posted

Well done on the one glass Rachel, you must be feeling pretty pleased with youself.  

I am like you and just trying to cut down.  I don't feel ready to stop altogether, and if I could get down to a "healthy" intake I would be very happy.  I am keeping a log of what I drink each night.  Sleeping is my main problem, but I am hoping that will change.

I wish I could do alcohol free days, as you do, but I haven't managed that yet.  I think you are doing an amazing job....keep it up.

Pat xxx

• Posted

Pat even the way you are trying is brilliant, one step at a time and you will get there, I use a timer and never let myself drink another until it's gone off just having a soft drink if I've finished my glass also a diary and last week I managed 18 units in one week which I believe is a first ever for me xx keep trying I'm proud of you too xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.