New Medication

Posted , 8 users are following.

My Dr has decided to change my meds  from Citalopram to Mitrazopine 15mg, anybody got any experience  of this med?

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes i went from mitrazopine, really good with helping you sleep... but made me pile so much weight on... but i liked it for sleeping.. am back on citalopram now... i was on 30 mg off mitrazopine.
  • Posted

My son took Mirtazapine along with an SSRI.  Mirtazapine isn't an SSRI like Citalopram, and is usually prescribed to help with sleep whilst you wait for Cit to work.

​Some people do swap meds early on before giving their meds a chance to work, and some go from one meds to another looking for a quick fix.  There isn't a quick fix, but they WILL work if you give them time.  They really do take months, not weeks.  

K xx

• Posted

That should have said my son was prescribed it to help with sleep whilst waiting for his meds to work.  It is an anti depressant too.

He has since recovered btw.

xxx

• Posted

I havent but i am considering it as cit is doin nothing for my anxiety 5-6 weeks in so id love to hear how u get on when r u starting it?
    • Posted

Dr said to take 10mg instead of 20 mg citalopram tomorrow morning and then take the Mirtrazapine at night before bed and to do the same on Saturday and from Sunday just take the Mitrazapine at night. But I'm having second thoughts about changing as I feel I would like to keep with the Citalopram for another week or so and give it a fair chance. What would u think ?
    • Posted

Only you no your own body hunni, but i would honestly stick at citalopram for a while... if its not for you then do what the doctor says next weekend. Keep in touch. Send me a private message x
    • Posted

How do I send a private message Kate?x
    • Posted

I dont think you can.. do you have facebook x
    • Posted

At the top of the page on the right you can private message people.
    • Posted

Messaging is done at the top of the page on the right :-)
    • Posted

When you come off Citalopram it has to be withdrawn very slowly over months, not a couple of days.  You'll be very ill with withdrawal symptoms if you just stop the meds. xx
    • Posted

Are you feeling better now on the citalopram?
    • Posted

Hi hanhoo, my dr changed me from citalopram to mitrazapine and it has definitely helped, I take it at night and I sleep well and although I still have periods of anxiety now and again I feel that it is now more manageable.
    • Posted

How long were you on cit ? And why did you switch ?
    • Posted

I do but im still trying to figure out if its the med for me
    • Posted

Hidon45258, I had been taking cit for about 7 weeks and still felt no improvement and  could not sleep and feeling nauseous all the time. I wS very wary of switching to another med and experiencing new side effects, but Dr said I mus trust his advice and I am so glad I did, the mertrazapine has worked well for me with minimal side effects and I'm sleeping so much better too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.